Author Topic: What have we learned?  (Read 22076 times)

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
Re: What have we learned?
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2009, 11:26:33 PM »
LOL  I wasn't taking up for the hideous movie by any means.

By the way, with this movie and True Blood both coming out last year, it made me wonder again why in the hell we never get Male human/ Female vampire love stories?  I'm sick to death of this Male vampire / human female crap.  It's been DONE.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Kenotic

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 4
  • Small and of no account
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2009, 01:15:32 AM »
Well, let's see...

Angel: Moody, hopeless romantic vampire. Hates self. In forbidden romance with Buffy. Kicks ass.

Buffy: Insecure, pretty teenage girl. In forbidden romance with Angel. Kicks ass.

Edward: Moody, hopeless romantic vampire. Hates self. In forbidden romance with Bella. Wuss.

Bella: Insecure pretty teenage girl. In forbidden romance with Edward. Wuss.

I'm sure there's a bit of a Buffy ripoff here, but also ripping off everything that came before.

Angel: Cursed to feel remorse - the main reason he's no longer killing. Ultimately acts in Buffy's best interest and gets out of town.
Edward: He, um....got better. Sort of. Except when he isn't. Acts manipulative and cruel.

Buffy: Welcomes her friends' help and eventually outgrows Angel. Worst nightmare is becoming a vampire. Goofy name.
Bella: Acts like she hates every one who is nice to her. Distances herself from real people and begs to be a vampire. Name as subtle as an anvil.

I was a student at a small midwestern college....

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2009, 09:56:12 AM »
Much like her namesake, Bella can be crushed and used as a powerful toxic agent in drink and food or to kill werewolves.
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2009, 11:41:23 AM »
Much like her namesake, Bella can be crushed and used as a powerful toxic agent in drink and food or to kill werewolves.
I thought Bella was a not so subtle referance to Bela Lugosi.

Offline Ayriana22

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2009, 01:30:11 PM »
I don't think the author (stephenie meyers) would be as clever as to us bella's name in reference to Bela Lugosi. She's never seen or read any vampire fiction other than her own, except perhaps the Count from sesame street ( one glittery pussified vampire Ah ah!, two glittery pussified vampires ah ah!) Bella is just short for Isabella. I'm reading the books right now just so I can absolutely confirm the extent of their horribleness (and the writing, plot and characters are AWFUL,) Edward is annoying, moody and controlling,  while Bella is a self absorbed and spoiled, and the poor werewolf Jacob gets shit on by her every chance she gets. I'm debating burning these books when i'm done reading them or giving them to my local library. Some good has to come of this mess.

As to the dynamic of the male vampire/female human relationship I think it has a lot to do with the sex appeal and/or that the woman in the story is supposedly more fragile(Bella, sookie, mina murray) and needs some kind of super human "protector".

Although i wouldn't exactly call Buffy fragile, and if anyone who's read the Anita Blake series (which is going to be a TV movie/series on IFC in the next few years*squee!!!*)she kicks ass and is called the Vampire Executioner for good reason. There are also 16 well written books in that series with the 17th coming out in June, as well as a comic book 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
:D /off shameless promotion of stuff I like

But also if you look at the Bram Stoker and some of the older vampire fiction it's usually the vampire is male and his victims female... so perhaps it's a trend carried over from that.
The only one I can think of off the top of my head where the female is a vampire first or is seen as the "protector" is Underworld but then the guy becomes a werevampman thing so I guess that doesn't count as much.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 01:38:03 PM by Ayriana22 »
"Occasionally,  I'm callous and strange"-Willow -Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Offline Lovye

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Always and Forever: Disembaudio Squadio
    • S2*
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2009, 03:24:05 PM »
The only one I can think of off the top of my head where the female is a vampire first or is seen as the "protector" is Underworld but then the guy becomes a werevampman thing so I guess that doesn't count as much.

What about, "Camilla"?

Anyway, OOOOOH!!  You're reading the books?!!  I wanted to get them from my library, but, my library doesn't carry them yet.  How much violence/action is in the books?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2009, 06:54:22 PM »

Anyway, OOOOOH!!  You're reading the books?!!  I wanted to get them from my library, but, my library doesn't carry them yet.  How much violence/action is in the books?
? It's a romance novel for teenage girls. Take a wild guess.

Offline Ayriana22

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2009, 08:03:53 PM »
Lovye my answer to your question is below. Not that i really think anyone here is actually reading the books for enjoyment, but you never know so i don't wanna spoil anything.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-Kate
"Occasionally,  I'm callous and strange"-Willow -Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 151
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2009, 01:04:02 AM »
From a review I read of the books, Meyer goes out of her way to minimize any and all conflict, and because of this has to shoe horn in something that looks like conflict but smells like shit.

I wonder how the movies will handle the imprinting from the Werewolves, especially since the two examples I have deal with an adult (or close enough) imprinting (read: identifying their future mate) on babies.
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3204
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2009, 01:09:04 AM »
I learned that kids today think playing baseball in the rain is a rebellious act (At least that's what the music was implying.)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2009, 05:09:22 AM »
I learned that an elder vampire who knows he has the power to stop feeding in the middle of a frenzy and has done it several times will neglect to do so, and instead foist that responsibility on a reluctant and inexperienced vampire who doesn't think he can, for no apparent reason.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2009, 05:44:50 AM »
As to the dynamic of the male vampire/female human relationship I think it has a lot to do with the sex appeal and/or that the woman in the story is supposedly more fragile(Bella, sookie, mina murray) and needs some kind of super human "protector".

But also if you look at the Bram Stoker and some of the older vampire fiction it's usually the vampire is male and his victims female... so perhaps it's a trend carried over from that.

I think you're right as to the reasons.  But I think the first author/filmmaker who competently capitalizes on this glaring void is going to make a mint.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2009, 06:22:08 AM »
I learned that an elder vampire who knows he has the power to stop feeding in the middle of a frenzy and has done it several times will neglect to do so, and instead foist that responsibility on a reluctant and inexperienced vampire who doesn't think he can, for no apparent reason.
I wondered that too, when I first watched it (with Rifftrax).

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2009, 06:44:22 AM »
I wondered that too, when I first watched it (with Rifftrax).

Yeah, that part really bothered me.  Total lapse of logic there.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2009, 08:11:51 AM »

I'm sure it had something to do with training or conditioning Edward further into resisting feeding on humans. Like if he could resist feeding on Bella who he's in love with, then he could resist feeding on a total stranger. Or something. More logically, that would backfire and he'd be more likely to feed on anyone out of the frustration of not being able to feed on Bella after tasting her blood, but since when does anything in Twilight make any sense anyway?