login

Author Topic: The worst Tv shows in history.  (Read 27528 times)

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
Re: The worst Tv shows in history.
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
How about Saved by the Bell?  Detestable main characters.  Ancillary characters were given no development beyond the simplest stereotypes.  Cheesy plots, incredibly fake looking sets.

Ohhh... I dunno... I guess Screech was pretty annoying, but that was his whole purpose... and Slater and Lisa were both pretty insipid for the most part... But the show usually had it's heart in the right place, even if it was garbage by most critical standards. They at least made a sincere effort to show right and wrong and consequences for your actions. Granted it was all in the cut'n'dry, everything is resolved in 22 minute fashion... but that's basically what a sitcom is.  And there's something to be said for Mark Paul Gosselelar or whatever his name is... he could turn on the charm and polish up some material that, even at that age, he must have known was pandering bullshit.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 08:00:36 AM »
These are all pretty bad, but they don't make you feel that humanity is evil.  For that I would go with "The Moment of Truth" and "the Swan".  These are TV shows that represent degradation and looking at people;s vulnerabilities and spitting on them.  Next to these shows, that Terrorist show from Network doesn't seem so bad.

Good point, if you think of "worst" as "evil".  I think the topic here is "worst" is "low quality".

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2009, 08:26:47 AM »
I don't remember the name... and I can't find anything online yet... but... this one just came back to me in full-on acid flashback mode....

There was a sitcom in the mid 80's... lasted one season I think. There was some family friend of my dad, long since forgotten, who had a job on the set. He was a sound engineer or lighting guy some such nonsense... and that was the reason my whole family was forced to sit thru this for it's 12 show run or whatever it was. Not having a second TV in the house until I was 14 really was balls.

Anyways, it revolved around an Italian grandma type who inexplicably broadcast her own cooking show live from her own house... Needless to say, all her "wacky" family members and neighbors would simply walk into the house while the show was on the air and hijinks would ensue. And by "wacky", I mean ridiculous racial stereotypes that would have made Ted Danson blush through his blackface. I was probably only 10 or 11 at the time... and I remember it was horrifically awful. When a ten year old is cringing at the asinine premise and the stereotypical italians and greeks and whatnot... it's bad.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 08:34:12 AM »
Does anyone remember the American remake of Fawlty Towers?

I forget it's name but i remember watching three episodes in stunned silence,it was awful.

Thank goodness I have never seen it on DvD.

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 09:13:08 AM »
How about he US version of Red Dwarf...

Doctor Who?

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2009, 09:41:25 AM »
At least that didn't make it to TV.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 09:51:33 AM »

I forget it's name but i remember watching three episodes in stunned silence,it was awful.

Thank goodness I have never seen it on DvD.

Which one?

The one with Bea Arthur?

Or the one with John Larroquette?

OK in trying to find vids of both of those I discovered another that must have been awful (the Bea Arthur one is the second part of the promo)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5pQjnxq8-qI&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x234900&amp;color2=0x4e9e00&amp;border=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5pQjnxq8-qI&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x234900&amp;color2=0x4e9e00&amp;border=1</a>
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:56:21 AM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2009, 09:54:49 AM »
Anyways, it revolved around an Italian grandma type who inexplicably broadcast her own cooking show live from her own house... Needless to say, all her "wacky" family members and neighbors would simply walk into the house while the show was on the air and hijinks would ensue. And by "wacky", I mean ridiculous racial stereotypes that would have made Ted Danson blush through his blackface. I was probably only 10 or 11 at the time... and I remember it was horrifically awful. When a ten year old is cringing at the asinine premise and the stereotypical italians and greeks and whatnot... it's bad.

Didn't watch it....but I remember that happening.  It was called "The...." and then the surname...but I can't find it online.

Which one?  There was the one with Harvey Korman and Betty White ("Stanley"?), the one with Bea Arthur ("Amanda's) and "Paine" with the guy from "Night Court" who I know his name but I can't spell it so I'm not going to try.

Edit...Tripe beat me to it.

Unless you count a special called "Greatest Shows Who Never Were" - or something like that.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2009, 09:59:52 AM »
Which one?  There was the one with Harvey Korman and Betty White ("Stanley"?)

There was Chateau Snavely but I think that died at the pilot stage, not sure who was in that but that might have been Korman/White. :)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2009, 10:01:59 AM »
How about Saved by the Bell?  Detestable main characters.  Ancillary characters were given no development beyond the simplest stereotypes.  Cheesy plots, incredibly fake looking sets.

Ohhh... I dunno... I guess Screech was pretty annoying, but that was his whole purpose... and Slater and Lisa were both pretty insipid for the most part... But the show usually had it's heart in the right place, even if it was garbage by most critical standards. They at least made a sincere effort to show right and wrong and consequences for your actions. Granted it was all in the cut'n'dry, everything is resolved in 22 minute fashion... but that's basically what a sitcom is.  And there's something to be said for Mark Paul Gosselelar or whatever his name is... he could turn on the charm and polish up some material that, even at that age, he must have known was pandering bullshit.

I wasn't specifically talking about Screech.  There were several of them.  Like, everyone; Screech, Slater, Zak, Kelly, Jesse, and Lisa.  All completely vapid 1-dimensional creatures.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2009, 10:05:56 AM »

Didn't watch it....but I remember that happening.  It was called "The...." and then the surname...but I can't find it online.

Which one?  There was the one with Harvey Korman and Betty White ("Stanley"?), the one with Bea Arthur ("Amanda's) and "Paine" with the guy from "Night Court" who I know his name but I can't spell it so I'm not going to try.

Edit...Tripe beat me to it.

Unless you count a special called "Greatest Shows Who Never Were" - or something like that.

Which one was on CBS in the 1990s?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 01:41:44 PM by Doctor Who? »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2009, 11:14:49 AM »
I nominate either The Pitts or its retarded cousin, The Mullets.

Both from 2003, which must have been some special conjunction of planetary shit.

Ah, The Mullets. A show that I only remember because one of the guys from The Joe Schmo Show was in it.

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2009, 02:14:28 PM »
I nominate either The Pitts

Well, you'll be thrilled to know they're reviving that turd in animated form some time this year, then.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5175
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2009, 09:07:32 PM »
Since we're talking about bad animation, Tripping the Rift should rank up there.  What the Hell Stephen Root.  Also, Chuck Austen sucks in any medium.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2009, 12:16:04 AM »
Did I or someone else say "Full House" yet?

On timeout