login

Author Topic: My Crazy-Ass Local Weather  (Read 352278 times)

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5713
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: My Crazy-Ass Local Weather
« Reply #3660 on: September 08, 2018, 04:39:32 PM »
South Carolina Emergency Management Division

HAPPENING NOW: GOVERNOR
HENRY MCMASTER DECLARES A STATE OF EMERGENCY. TROPICAL STORM FLORENCE EXPECTED TO STRENGTHEN INTO A HURRICANE. SOUTH CAROLINA RESIDENTS SHOULD BEGIN PREPARING HOMES AND PROPERTY NOW.
I think I'll be going to gas up my minivan before prices start to spike :o
Make sure to gas your truck up, so you don't...

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #3661 on: September 08, 2018, 04:50:41 PM »
South Carolina Emergency Management Division

HAPPENING NOW: GOVERNOR
HENRY MCMASTER DECLARES A STATE OF EMERGENCY. TROPICAL STORM FLORENCE EXPECTED TO STRENGTHEN INTO A HURRICANE. SOUTH CAROLINA RESIDENTS SHOULD BEGIN PREPARING HOMES AND PROPERTY NOW.
I think I'll be going to gas up my minivan before prices start to spike :o
Make sure to gas your truck up, so you don't...
It still has 2/3rds of a tank from when I filled it last year because of a threatening hurricane so I'll probably leave it as is 8)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #3662 on: September 08, 2018, 08:21:00 PM »
At least you don't have to worry about not having work...neither rain, nor sleet, nor hurricane..or whatever that postal slogan is.

But seriously, stay safe.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3663 on: September 09, 2018, 03:45:02 AM »
At least you don't have to worry about not having work...neither rain, nor sleet, nor hurricane..or whatever that postal slogan is.

But seriously, stay safe.
I'll be like Lt. Dan in Forest Gump with mail and packages in my hands yelling "COME ON!! THAT'S ALL YOU GOT?!" :D :D

Oh yeah I survived Hurricane Hugo back in September 1989 on the coast in Charleston SC, I'll be fine. Thanks!

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 375
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #3664 on: September 09, 2018, 04:48:44 AM »
It was raining non stop for something like 30 hours straight here in Indianapolis.  I've seen heavy rain, but never rain this pervasive.  It looks like it has eased up now.  It's still wet, but no additional rain. 

On the way home from work Friday it was really coming down.  I have to walk half a mile to my car.  Parking is always pricey and hard to get in downtown areas.  I have to park that far away to get something relatively cheap at $105 a month.  Luckily, I had an umbrella.  It provided some relief but when the rain is coming down that hard, it is limited.  Ankles and feet got pretty damp, but the rest was dry.  On the drive home, some lower sections of the road were flooded and people had to drive through slowly, lest we destroy our cars' engines.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3665 on: September 09, 2018, 09:51:45 AM »
Tropical storm force winds & gusts (39-74mph) are now expected in the Charlotte area by Thursday afternoon, evening, & Friday based on the current track.
We will be on the left quadrant (the weakest side) of the storm when it comes ashore but my gf's younger brother lives in New Bern, NC along the Neuse River inside the Outer Banks and that town will most likely be decimated by winds from the right front quadrant of the hurricane, then storm surge will flood the town afterwards.. She's going to call him to see what he'll be doing; staying or evacuating :-\

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3666 on: September 10, 2018, 08:08:06 AM »
Here's the latest Euro model of the storm bringing Florence right over the Charlotte area and stalling :speechless:
https://mobile.twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/1039106125688459269/photo/1

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #3667 on: September 10, 2018, 08:47:58 AM »
Geez.  Everyone stay safe in the Carolinas.  I hope Wilmington doesn't get destroyed.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3668 on: September 10, 2018, 09:07:57 AM »
Geez.  Everyone stay safe in the Carolinas.  I hope Wilmington doesn't get destroyed.
Unfortunately it's not looking good for Wilmington at all based on the current track, they look to take a direct hit from Florence.  :-[

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #3669 on: September 10, 2018, 09:13:04 AM »
Unfortunately it's not looking good for Wilmington at all based on the current track, they look to take a direct hit from Florence.  :-[

Floyd was a big deal there in 1999, but it was only a category 2 when it hit Wilmington.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3670 on: September 10, 2018, 09:27:47 AM »

Floyd was a big deal there in 1999, but it was only a category 2 when it hit Wilmington.
Yeah I remember that, this will be worse..
And it's official
Hurricane Florence is now a Category 4 Major Hurricane, with sustained winds near 130mph (info thanks to latest pass by Hurricane Hunters)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #3671 on: September 10, 2018, 11:59:07 AM »

And it's official
Hurricane Florence is now a Category 4 Major Hurricane, with sustained winds near 130mph (info thanks to latest pass by Hurricane Hunters)

One of my buddies there is always surfing as the hurricanes approach.  I talked to him today, and he said he may actually skip this one.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3672 on: September 10, 2018, 01:57:16 PM »

And it's official

One of my buddies there is always surfing as the hurricanes approach.  I talked to him today, and he said he may actually skip this one.
Yeah smart move 8)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3673 on: September 11, 2018, 07:53:47 AM »
Latest models are showing Florence rapidly slowing down at the coast and stalling over the Carolinas leading to a catastrophic flooding event this weekend..
It could meander westward into the Charlotte area where I'm at and could dump torrential amounts of rain  :scared:

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3674 on: September 11, 2018, 09:02:21 AM »
A little fun before the storm :D