Author Topic: My Crazy-Ass Local Weather  (Read 355371 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: My Crazy-Ass Local Weather
« Reply #3630 on: July 21, 2018, 03:14:50 PM »
Wind and rain all afternoon and maybe heavy rain later.

Next 5 days chance of precipitation is above 60 percent every day.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3899
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #3631 on: July 21, 2018, 03:51:42 PM »
Wind and rain all afternoon and maybe heavy rain later.

Next 5 days chance of precipitation is above 60 percent every day.
No storms here yet but they're a comin :o
Severe thunderstorm watch is up till 2am here and the next several days also has a 60% chance of rain and storms in the forecast which we need as we haven't had any real rainfall in the last few weeks.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3632 on: July 22, 2018, 04:38:14 AM »
Power went out here at 1am, still out.

First test of my generator, have my fridge, cellphone charger, and this laptop on it and it's still running half speed, so I should get a day out of a tank of propane if that's all I hook up.

Not supposed to start raining again until late afternoon, if the power isn't back on by then I'll have to move the generator to my back porch.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3633 on: July 22, 2018, 07:24:16 AM »
Storms here fizzled last night but round 2 may hold together as they approach this evening..
We'll see :-\

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3634 on: July 22, 2018, 07:27:34 AM »

First test of my generator, have my fridge, cellphone charger, and this laptop on it and it's still running half speed, so I should get a day out of a tank of propane if that's all I hook up.
Let us know how well of a job it does powering your fridge as I may look into one that can power not only my fridge but also my large freezer, and my modem for internet :o

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 262
« Reply #3635 on: July 22, 2018, 08:06:35 AM »
Have had rain in the forecast for the last couple of days including today. Really need the rain as my lawn is starting to turn brown. Didn't get anywhere near the rain that was predicted (got a few 15 minute downpours). Today it's really dark and overcast-like a late fall day only about 30 degrees warmer and really humid-but no rain.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3636 on: July 22, 2018, 08:42:18 AM »

Let us know how well of a job it does powering your fridge as I may look into one that can power not only my fridge but also my large freezer, and my modem for internet :o

Power back on, the generator worked fine saving the stuff in the fridge, by the time I got the generator set up in the morning the fridge had been off for 6 hours, so it was just starting to go above proper temperatures in the fridge and freezer.

If you are looking to run 2 fridge compressors you'll have to somehow make sure they don't both turn on at the same time, or get a generator that can handle that amount of surge.  Fridges only need about half the power running that they need to start up, so the generator has to have a good surge rating.

Need to find one more person that is getting rid of a propane tank so I can exchange it and I'll have 3 ready to go.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3637 on: July 23, 2018, 02:06:13 AM »
Hmm.. I'll need to do some research on them  :-\

Finally got some good rains yesterday evening.. Enough to clean out the curbs of debris :o

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3638 on: July 23, 2018, 09:17:45 AM »
Had a nice morning thunderstorm after 10am!
15 minute downpour and the sun's back out though the future radar shows more developing to the south and moving north towards my locale throughout the day :o

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 262
« Reply #3639 on: July 25, 2018, 07:17:00 PM »
Forecast called for a 10% chance of rain tonight. In the midst of a heavy thunderstorm. Not complaining because we need the rain.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3640 on: August 02, 2018, 10:08:48 PM »
I've been experimenting with capturing images every 5 minutes from the weather camera on the roof at work, and turning them into time lapse videos, just uploaded the first 2 weeks to my youtube channel.

<a href="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/8gHahp9m0fE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/8gHahp9m0fE</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/EBnP1Ttliqo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/EBnP1Ttliqo</a>

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3641 on: August 02, 2018, 11:42:54 PM »
HA! Those time lapses are pretty cool! :o

So the weather here has been for gloom and doom rainfall here but hasn't been anywhere close, until yesterday evening when the bottom fell out of the sky for about 15 minutes :speechless:
Most of the heavier rains have been to the west of my locale in the foothills and mountains of the Carolinas..

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3642 on: August 03, 2018, 05:06:08 AM »
HA! Those time lapses are pretty cool! :o

They are kind of hypnotic, I find I watch them way too many times.

I have some scripts on a server that do most of the work, one grabs the image every 5 minutes, and another that updates the daily mpeg every hour.  Making the weekly movies will have to be done manually unless I can find a way to do "date math" in linux.  With a week like this one that has a change of month in the middle I can't use wildcards for picking the daily movies to combine to make the week long one.

We'll see how long I keep doing this, but with the new server at work I could let it run for years and not put a dent in the storage space, so the daily files will all be there until I remember to make some weekly or monthly files.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3643 on: August 03, 2018, 09:54:45 AM »
 Yay, I did some googling and found there is date math in the bash scripting language for Linux.  So I was able to write a script that picks out the last 7 days of time lapse movies and combines them, set it up to run every Saturday night just before midnight. 

Not sure if I'll keep uploading them to YouTube or just wait until I make monthly ones and upload those.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5899
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #3644 on: August 03, 2018, 10:59:08 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/8gHahp9m0fE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/8gHahp9m0fE</a>

For some reason now I have the Quantum Leap theme going in my head.