Author Topic: The Blu-Ray Thread  (Read 158029 times)

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
Re: The Blu-Ray Thread
« Reply #1530 on: October 21, 2016, 10:10:41 AM »
And Amazon has now dropped the pre-order price for Daredevil Season 1 to $26.99.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #1531 on: October 27, 2016, 02:15:38 AM »
I don't know if anyone else has bothered with Blu-ray audio-only discs, but I now have three of them.  First was Stevie Wonder's 'Songs in the Key of Life' (was looking for the CD, which was out of print and at $99 in the aftermarket, while the Blu was $24 ::)), then I got Pink Floyd's 'The Endless River', and most recently Simple Minds 'New Gold Dream 81-82-83-84'.

What do I think of them?  Just that this is how music should always sound - and should always have sounded.  The dynamic range is such that with the Simple Minds disc (the only one where I was very familiar with it and had a pre-existing CD of the music to compare it to), I actually had to do some 1:1 comparisons with tunes, because I actually believed they'd changed it!  But no, it was merely that the CD audio reproduction was so poor in comparison that most of the detail was simply muddy or lost entirely because of the limited dynamic range of a CD.

But even with the other two, it was clear that the dynamic range was much greater, with a far more open and clearly defined sound field, and nearly absent noise floor (despite some, like the S Wonder and S Minds, being over 3 1/2 decades old).

Just astonishing.

Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention to these and wasn't aware of them, so I missed the 'Dark Side of the Moon' Immersion set (Blu-ray with multiple mixes) until it was out of print.  Its already beyond reach financially for me ($100 for one album at this point is too much to pay, despite it being THAT album).

I hope more Blu-ray audio-only discs are released soon.  Even if these become more mainstream (which is unlikely), it will likely be a very long time before anything that is more central to my current musical taste will be released.  And that is if they ever will be... most of my top favorite albums are actually highly unlikely to get that kind of clean-up and reauthoring treatment.  The only thing I really have hopes for that might get this treatment that would be near the top of my list is Hendrix's 'Electric Ladyland'.  Now THAT would kick some serious butt as a Blu-ray audio release!
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1532 on: October 27, 2016, 10:37:23 PM »
Red Dwarf season 11 will be out of Blu-Ray November 8th.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked:
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #1533 on: October 28, 2016, 04:17:40 PM »
I don't know if anyone else has bothered with Blu-ray audio-only discs, but I now have three of them.

Not sure if I have any of the Blu-ray audio-only ones, but I do have the Nine Inch Nails album that was on (I think) Dual-Disc that had surround sound on one side.  Definitely was pretty cool hearing how things were split up through the 5.1 vs the typical stereo version.

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #1534 on: November 05, 2016, 01:29:20 AM »
[EDIT: removed most of the "f"s from this.]

Advice: never order ANYTHING from Walmart.com!

As I stated on Oct 14: I canceled the Daredevil set with them.  They say in an automated e-mail, "we'll try".  On Nov 1 I receive notice of a 'price drop' for 'my order'.  So I cancel AGAIN, pointing out their charging me after my cancellation is theft.

And they just sent a god-damn SHIPPING NOTICE for the set I cancelled TWICE, with the first cancellation over two weeks ago!

Yeah, some advice: don't EVER order ANYTHING from them!

UPDATE: After wasting likely over an hour (in which I came VERY close to punching my computer screen on multiple occasions) I finally was able to connect with their online help.  Turns out it won't work with a regular browser screen, for some reason you have to use a 'private browsing' screen in order for it to work.  Yeah, EVERYONE would know to do that! ::)  So after the first Customer Service person said, "I understand your concern and I've reviewed your order and in a matter of a fact the order wasn't cancelled. An attempt to cancel was placed; however, because we process orders as quickly as possible, sometimes the request to cancel arrives after shipment processing has begun, at which time canceling is not possible," I managed to get it turned over to a supervisor, because, as I stated, "the cancellation was done THREE WEEKS before the item was even AVAILABLE.  There is simply no way in Hell that the item was 'already in the shipping process'.  THREE WEEKS before [they] could POSSIBLY have had it to put in a mailer and add postage."  [Believe it or not, the person tried to explain this away at first!]

The supervisor ultimately refunded what they charged me, and has contacted UPS to recall the package so I won't even have to see it or mark it 'Refused' or anything.

Just UFB the hassles with this.  I should have stuck to my avoidance of WalMart on moral grounds (for their treatment of their workers and the community stores they ravage) and I would have been fine.  BECAUSE they abuse their workers already, I refused to leave negative feedback for the first Customer Service person.  The corporate website order shit (and their lack of pay resulting in substandard 'awareness' on the part of their workers) is NOT the worker's fault!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 02:24:59 AM by LucasM »

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #1535 on: January 04, 2017, 01:46:37 PM »
FINALLY!!!

I have been waiting on this(/these), routinely searching for it(/them), literally since before buying my HDTV.  These are, for me at least, the finest anime' ever produced, and are in my top 5 lifetime favorite TV series (EDIT: Probably my second favorite series, life-time, as it's been three days and I'm still trying to think of more than one other show I like more than this series).  i.e. They are really F-ing good!

(Pictures are links.)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 07:14:11 PM by LucasM »

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #1536 on: January 04, 2017, 04:56:47 PM »
Well, I can now watch Blurays :P I'll have to find some to watch :P

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #1537 on: February 14, 2017, 02:27:52 AM »
It doesn't seem that the Netflix Daredevil Season 1 is an accurate predictor for relative release date UK vs. USA.  If it was, we should have had Jessica Jones in January, because it has apparently been available in the UK since December.  But Blu-ray.com still has it listed as "no release date" for the US.:

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 02:39:36 AM by LucasM »