login

Author Topic: The Riff That Got Away...  (Read 12998 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4484
Re: The Riff That Got Away...
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2009, 10:41:16 AM »
MissedRiff:  "Hey!  The General is being played by Jonathan Winters!"

They did point out the resemblance by mentioning one of Winters' characters, Maude Frickert.

Oops: my bad!  [I didn't know the character, so missed that.]
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2009, 02:25:48 PM »
MissedRiff:  "Hey!  The General is being played by Jonathan Winters!"

They did point out the resemblance by mentioning one of Winters' characters, Maude Frickert.

Oops: my bad!  [I didn't know the character, so missed that.]
Can't hear everything the first time.  Why they're good for many viewings

And a person can't know every reference they make.  Can get a education looking up stuff they say sometimes.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2010, 06:07:33 PM »
Was rewatching The Dark Knight recently and found a couple 'missed' riffs:

Pretty much any time after Rachel appears:
MissedRiff:  "Oh my god!  Her voice!  Mickey Mouse and Jessica Rabbit had an illegitimate daughter!"

@91 minutes: we see Harvey tied up, and then the shot of the phone
Rachel:  "Hellooo...    HellOOooohh!"
MissedRiff:   "Right now it registers to Harvey that he might be waking up to those dulcet tones every morning, and he is currently thinking about letting the bomb around him go off rather than face her to break off the engagement."
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Bus Taker

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 110
  • "We're a danger to ourselves and others"
    • Music site
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2010, 12:24:54 AM »
This one was missed because the time machine was not perfected.  In "The Incredibly Strange Creatures... Zombies", during the "freak out" sequence, David Steckler's character has that heavy odd make up while dancing with the cast.  My riff seems so obvious:
"It''s Michael Flatley's Lord of the Sith."
"I can't complain but sometimes I still do, life's been good to me so far." - Joe Walsh

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2010, 05:09:59 PM »
Matrix Revolutions

0:33:22 The Oracle's 'secretary'/guardian is absorbed by Smith
MissedRiff:  "Well, now we're Sans Serif!"
MRresponse:  "Really?  A font joke?  (Oh, ...and it's 'Seraph'.)"

[Not funny, just 'practical observation']
~0:84:26 The EMP has incapacitated every machine in Zion's hangar.  The crew is pleased saying they 'won' the hangar, but Lock says, "you just handed it to them on a silver platter."
MissedRiff:  "And the reason that they don't just keep firing the EMP over and over again when the machines come back is what now?"

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2010, 05:19:56 PM »
Matrix Revolutions

0:33:22 The Oracle's 'secretary'/guardian is absorbed by Smith
MissedRiff:  "Well, now we're Sans Serif!"
MRresponse:  "Really?  A font joke?  (Oh, ...and it's 'Seraph'.)"

:D

That's some good stuff right there. It's just another bad pun gag but it's the response that makes the joke.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2010, 05:23:02 PM »
Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace

[H:MM:SS]
~1:12:35  After all the "Sun'll come out tomorrow" jokes they made, Annie says he wants to be a Jedi.  Quigon says, "It's a hard life."
MissedRiff [as Quigon]:  "It's a hard knock life, actually."

Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones

~1:53:15  Django's head is lopped off
MissedRiff:  "Well, in order for Boba to take over the family buisness, one could say that that event was a Fett accompli."

~2:03:00 Dookie is on a cycle
Kevin:  "Looks like Nanny McPhee."
MissedRiff:  "Looks more like Elmira Gulch in the tornado!"

['practical' rather than funny; but then again, feigned ignorance isn't funny either]
~2:10:00  The solar sails spread
Mike and Kevin make comments on it raining.
MissedRiff:  "Solar sails are proposed for long-distance space trips using the solar wind.  However, they take something like a year to build up speed enough to actually use for any significant movement.  That's gotta' be some swift getaway they're proposing here!"

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2010, 06:15:17 PM »
OK... clearing a few more of the notes I've taken while watching (and re-watching, and re-re-watching) RiffTrax...

The Matrix
~0:54:48  Just after Neo tries the building jump for the first time and hits the rubber pavement
MissedRiff:  "Good thing that Mouse thought ahead and tied this simulation to Toon Town!"

Night of the Living Dead
~1:18:30  On the TV, there is film of the cop and zombie hunters talking outside
MissedRiff:  "It was nice of the sun to make an appearance specifically so they could be seen for the interview, given that it is in the middle of the night back at the house."

Reefer Madness
~0:51:00  In the jury room, the old woman writes on the paper.
MissedRiff:  "She felt it took a little off the harshness of her guilty vote by using a smiley face over the 'i' instead of a dot."

~0:55:50  At the piano, after Ralph's "Faster, Faster", he's grabbing his chest
MissedRiff:  "Wow: he's so high he thinks he's got Mary's chest in his hands."

Star Trek VI: The Undescended Testicle  [that, itself, could've been used somewhere]
~0:04:17  Startled, David Warner's character(?) drops his cup and it breaks.
MissedRiff:  "That's the 'tea-on-the-floor' alarm... they take wasted liquids very seriously on this planet."

~1:18:55  Around the 'campfire' with the changeling
MissedRiff:  "Amazing how the fire is warm enough to heat their pile of rocks, and them, but the snow doesn't melt right next to it."

~1:31:47  Kirk is in Spock's room
MissedRiff [as Spock]:  "Captain?  Who's the frigging genius that designed the bunk areas with a spotlight that shines directly in your face when you are lying down?"

Star Wars IV: A New Hopelessness
Imperial cruisers are chasing the Millenium Falcon
MissedRiff:  "How in hell did the two cruisers miss seeing each-other before they almost collided?"
MRresponse:  "Well... no-one happened to be looking out a window for the last 20 minutes as they approached each-other."

Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back
~0:29:00  Flyer weaves between the legs of the At-At, tying its legs up with wire, then it falls
MissedRiff: "Let's see: there were huge loops in the wire, and the legs were moving freely before the wire was let go... so how exactly did the wire get tight enough to trip the thing when it was cut loose from the ship but not secured anywhere else?"

~0:30:00  At-At fight continues (endlessly)
MissedRiff:  "And why is it that - when the guns on the At-Ats can only face forward and are limited in vertical adjustments - that they have to approach them at exactly the height of the guns instead of from above, or even looping behind them?"

~0:56:00  When the little green language-challenged Jedi is revealed
MissedRiff:  "Well: you asked for it, you got it:  Toy Yoda!"

~1:31:25  Vader(?) says, threateningly, "It would be unfortunate if I had to leave a garrison here."
MissedRiff [as Vader]:  "...especially if it were a Garrison Keillor!"
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:31:19 PM by LucasM »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2010, 01:49:03 AM »
Watched the 2009 Star Trek RiffTrax again.

~1hr 54mins Young Spock approaches Old Spock from the rear
Young Spock:  "Father?"
Old Spock:      "I am not Our Father..."
MissedRiff:      "He art in heaven."  [I hear this in Bill's 'condescending' voice]

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2010, 06:18:16 PM »
OK... just a quickie here...

Twilight: New Moon

Bella finally jumps off the cliff, arguing with Edward the whole time.

MissedRiff:  "Wow... because of the complete lack of style for that jump, the judges have described it as a perfect Swann dive."

Offline THE QUEEN!!!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2010, 01:17:48 AM »
Kinda obvious to me so maybe that's why they didn't do it:

HARRY POTTER 4 (the recent RT)

HARRY: There was a third man in the dream
MISSED RIFF: Orson Welles?

That's what I said and waited for a joke. Alas
"Kissing is like WiFi. Just get within the general area." ---New Moon RT

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2010, 02:28:21 AM »
I watched Twilight again (don't worry: it was with a riffing), and found still more MissedRiffs.

Within the first few seconds: from black screen to film of young deer

V/O:  "I'd never given much thought to how I would die.  But dying in place of someone I love..."

MissedRiff:  "Whew!  Bambi's internal monologue is a lot darker than I imagined!"

75min 06sec:  Almost the first kiss

Edward:  "Stay very still... don't move..."

MissedRiff:  "We shouldn't really be surprised there's a bit of necrophilia in Edward's 'romantic' preferences."

immediately after that:

MissedRiff [as hushed golf announcer]:  "Bella is preparing for her first kiss... alone in her bedroom with a boy.  Our extraordinarily self-assured adolescent girl is wearing only panties and a t-shirt and is perfectly comfortable. . .     . . .      . . .    [normal volume]  Wait: what the f--k?"

1hour 41min: Bella's writhing around on the floor after James bit her

Carlysle (to Edward):  "You'll have to suck the venom out!"

MissedRiff:  "...because that works so well with snakes, scorpions, stingrays, especially a minute or more after someone's been bitten!  Steve Irwin will attest to that...  oh, wait...."

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2011, 06:34:15 PM »
It's been a while since this thread was active, but there's clearly more that needs additional riffing.

Star Wars II: Clone of Other Ideas

42:47  Annikin:  "I don't like sand."
MR:  "She just said she loves the water.  Imagine how evil a 'Darth' he would have become if, for a surprise wedding gift, she booked them for a honeymoon on a beach!"

~95:45
Amidala is knocked into the large tub for the molten metal.
Kevin says "Oh my!  She's into the pot!"
MR could've been (in same 'old lady' voice tone):  "Goodness!  She'll follow Carrie Fisher's path by first getting into the pot."

I have other notes from Highlander and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, but they are too extensive to get to right now.  I just wanted to 'wake up' this thread again.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
Resurrecting this dead thread because I was trying to dispose of some small notes by my computer and this (and probably more, later) were among those notes.

Buffalo Rider short:
On screen at ~18 minutes- Buffalo rides over camera
Kevin:  "Don't poop on us, buffalo!"
Mike:   "...or rider."

Missed Riff:  "How meta!   A buffalo, buffalo-shot!"

Matrix Revolutions
~11 minutes, the first appearance of the Train Man
Missed Riff:  "Alan Moore is appearing in this film?"
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:11:09 PM by LucasM »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2015, 05:18:47 PM »
Well, this thread hasn't seen any action for a while, so figured I'd add something:

Sword & Sorcery
~48 minutes in, after they'd been repeatedly saying things like "Yayyyy... they went through another wall opening!" and the like.
Missed Riff (setup):  "No more walking through wall openings?"
Missed Riff:             "Well... one cannot simply walk into more doors!"