login

Author Topic: So.. How about They Might Be Giants?  (Read 16009 times)

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 346
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
Re: So.. How about They Might Be Giants?
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2018, 06:26:56 AM »
I should check that out then. That description reminds me of the Scissor Sisters "I Can't Decide" that I love so much.

Yes, check out TMBG. You'll suddenly get a lot more QuipTracks jokes.
They made a five-minute song seventeen times longer. We're cutting it down to size. The QuipTrack for The Christmas Shoes is AVAILABLE NOW at QuipTracks.com.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5313
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2018, 07:21:10 AM »
I should check that out then. That description reminds me of the Scissor Sisters "I Can't Decide" that I love so much.

Yes, check out TMBG. You'll suddenly get a lot more QuipTracks jokes.
Whenever I don't get a Quiptracks joke, I just assume it's either a They Might Be Giants or a Star Fox reference.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2715
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2018, 07:25:30 AM »
I recommend Flood as a jumping-on point. It's a pretty good indicator of what one can expect from TMBG. (And like- 70% of TMBG references come from those songs.)

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2018, 10:27:58 AM »
(And like- 70% of TMBG references come from those songs.)

Psh. If the riffers are posers, yeah.

But seriously, Flood is very good. I listened to it over and over as a child and I would be a completely different person today had I not. However, their recent work is their best work and it's a shame people only care about Flood. I'm sure They feel the same. Flood also doesn't show off how adept they have become with their mixing and use of sound. Most of Flood is synthesizers and a drum machine. You won't find anything that sounds as good as the horns in Lady and the Tiger or McCaffertey's Bib.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:35:09 AM by Quirk »
They made a five-minute song seventeen times longer. We're cutting it down to size. The QuipTrack for The Christmas Shoes is AVAILABLE NOW at QuipTracks.com.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2715
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2018, 10:37:33 AM »
Oh, for sure. Every album is worth a listen, and their new stuff is awesome. (Join Us is a personal favorite.) but Flood is a great gateway drug. If "Birdhouse in Your Soul" can't turn you on to TMBG, it just might not be the right band for you.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2018, 10:48:08 AM »
I think the main thing you need to be enthusiastic about to enjoy TMBG is hearing something that's different from everything else. TMBG exists in its own universe completely untouched by trends. Their "sound" is defined by their desire to find new directions music can go. Flood is still extremely popular because it's timeless. If the first song didn't explicitly say it was made in 1990, I don't think you could tell when it's from. But maybe I'm just too close to it to be objective.

Or maybe I'm just way too pretentious. That could be it.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2018, 07:51:07 AM »
I went to the show in Boulder last night. It was pretty amazing. They have a trumpeteer this tour, which cranks up the awesomeness pretty high. The show was actually streamed live, so it's available to watch.

HERE IT IS

If somebody could embed that video, that would be great.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5313
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2018, 04:12:35 PM »
I went to the show in Boulder last night. It was pretty amazing. They have a trumpeteer this tour, which cranks up the awesomeness pretty high. The show was actually streamed live, so it's available to watch.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Ez3t5XRmlq0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Ez3t5XRmlq0</a>

If somebody could embed that video, that would be great.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4481
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2018, 04:28:04 PM »
I'ma play this while I'm nannying tomorrow.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2018, 07:05:57 AM »
The show starts at about the 25-minute mark.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 167
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2018, 03:59:38 PM »
After listening to "I Like Fun," I think TMBG needs a hug. They've always had a dark undercurrent, but it bubbles a lot closer to the surface than usual. Still lyrically/musically brilliant, of course. I'm gonna need some time to get to know this one.

I usually like their stuff but I thought this was a pretty weak album.  All the songs just kind of blended together.  They all just slipped off my brain like Teflon.  They were just that forgettable.  I listened to the whole thing twice and don't remember anything.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 167
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2018, 11:26:52 AM »
Their Dial-A-Song line is back.  I missed it during the original run, and then again when it went up in 2015, but it's back now.  The number is 1-844-387-6962. 

The audio quality is obviously not great, since it's over the phone, but it's still a novel thing.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline motoboy

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2018, 05:55:49 PM »
I think the main thing you need to be enthusiastic about to enjoy TMBG is hearing something that's different from everything else. TMBG exists in its own universe completely untouched by trends. Their "sound" is defined by their desire to find new directions music can go. Flood is still extremely popular because it's timeless. If the first song didn't explicitly say it was made in 1990, I don't think you could tell when it's from. But maybe I'm just too close to it to be objective.

Or maybe I'm just way too pretentious. That could be it.

For decades, I thought it was $19.90.