login

Author Topic: Vinyl  (Read 8452 times)

Offline The Lady Rommel

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
Re: Vinyl
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2009, 09:28:05 AM »
I don't get this whole CDs being better than vinyl.  Sound the same to me.

I have all my mom's old vinyl, some dating back to the 60s and 70s.  She had every Elvis album released and a lot of country, like Loretta Lynn and George Jones.  One of my favorites of hers is Floyd Cramer, an old timey piano player...loved him.  In the 80s I bought some myself, I have several singles, Thriller (of course) and a couple of Bruce albums.  But when CDs came out they became impossible to find.

And I've found some great ones at the Goodwill.  Found ELO, had never heard of them but thought the cover was pretty.  The album was awesome.  Also found Purple Rain and some old Chicago (not the crappy Cetera era Chicago, the good Chicago).   There's not much better finding an old treasure at a thrift shop or the Goodwill.
I don't see race.  People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I watch Antiques Roadshow.

Offline awfulgoodmovies

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 06:08:19 AM »
Just bought a new LP: Gay Witch Abortion

Learning Curve Records

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 06:11:08 AM by awfulgoodmovies »

Still doing Community service for Community servicing a goat.

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2009, 12:25:19 PM »
one of my favorite lps and the one i show friends to convince them why i like vinyl is yessongs the live yes album.  with a triple gatefold featuring 4 great roger dean paintings its a real work of art and something you just cant hope to replicate with miniscule cd packaging.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

oh and the music is awesome too perpetual change is on fire here.  solo sections are great too
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 12:35:53 PM by gojikranz »
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2010, 11:26:07 PM »
I've been starting a vinyl collection. I love vinyl! Nostalgia rules!  8)

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2010, 11:43:43 PM »
tommorrow i face the real reason vinyl died out:  moving it to another location.  my back will not be the same i fear.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 717
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2010, 07:55:16 AM »
tommorrow i face the real reason vinyl died out:  moving it to another location.  my back will not be the same i fear.

Try moving laser discs. I had about 500 at the height of my collection. I would say that one LD weighed as much as 5 LPs.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Online Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3305
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2010, 08:12:37 AM »

The last time I moved, it was done by a moving company, and I couldn't find the core of my collection for about a month.  Of course it was the very last box that I opened.  It was nice to not have to move it myself, but you just feel out of control.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2010, 12:58:33 PM »

Try moving laser discs. I had about 500 at the height of my collection. I would say that one LD weighed as much as 5 LPs.

You beat me to it. Moving LDs is a killer.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2010, 01:59:26 AM »

You beat me to it. Moving LDs is a killer.

thank god DVD/Bluray is without any doubt the superior form.  though there are some old criterion laserdics is am envious of.

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2010, 07:05:24 PM »
I always wanted to get a Laserdisc player

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2010, 02:06:32 PM »
I always wanted to get a Laserdisc player

I'd check eBay. Shouldn't be too hard to get a good one at a reasonable price.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 717
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2015, 01:18:32 PM »
This thread has been dormant for a while.

Anyone want to talk records??

Last year (in time for Record Store Day) I finally bought a "big boy" turntable.

I got the PRO-JECT Debut Carbon. I love it.  Easy to set up and performs great! Pretty much these days records are the only physical media I buy anymore.  Probably haven't bought a CD in over a year.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 31
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2015, 06:23:23 AM »
Personally I don't have a large collection and only collect vinyls to listen to.  Probably my favorite piece is this Sun Records Johnny Cash And The Tennessee Two Original Golden Hits Volume 1. It sounds great and there's not a bad song on it.  It's in pretty decent condition and I actually feel pretty lucky to own it.

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison