login

Author Topic: Vinyl  (Read 8735 times)

Offline mearnest

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 26
  • If life gives you poop. Make poop juice.
Vinyl
« on: November 30, 2008, 09:45:57 PM »
I'm not sure how many people on here are into collecting vinyl but I figured I'd start up a topic on it anyway.  Have you found any cool stuff lately or just want to brag about something you've had for years?  I'd like to hear about it.

A couple of good thrift store finds for me today:

« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 01:37:23 AM by mearnest »
'No one does it to you like Roman Polanski' - The Tenant

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
Re: Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 06:36:54 AM »
I've got a decent collection of LPs. Mostly classical and some jazz, plus plenty of comedy albums. I've got some Monty Python, Foster Brooks, Steven Wright, Smothers Brothers, Bob Newhart, and more. I want to get some of those nice LP display thingies so I could display some of my favorite comedy albums on the wall. Just don't want to pay $25 each.

Offline CEL-Kali

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 12:15:06 PM »
I went to a huge flea market sale at the state fair grounds. One guy had vinyl galore, and the only one I bought was a George Carlin act (Class Clown). This was last April, so I was only 14.... The seller was on the phone so I sat around waiting and finally started to out it back when he goes 'You want that?' Obviously I say yes. '2 bucks' Yes!! I'm about to walk away and he goes 'Wait! Greg, I just sold a George Carlin vinyl to a... how old are you?' I say my age, ' To a 14 year old for two bucks!'

My dad has loads of albums, from Ozzy's first solo album to Styx and The Who. I'm very interested in the classics, and at the moment the best ones I listen to are his Alan Parsons albums.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 12:54:30 PM »
I went to a huge flea market sale at the state fair grounds. One guy had vinyl galore, and the only one I bought was a George Carlin act (Class Clown). This was last April, so I was only 14.... The seller was on the phone so I sat around waiting and finally started to out it back when he goes 'You want that?' Obviously I say yes. '2 bucks' Yes!! I'm about to walk away and he goes 'Wait! Greg, I just sold a George Carlin vinyl to a... how old are you?' I say my age, ' To a 14 year old for two bucks!'

That boggles the mind that someone would even care nowadays that a person under 18 buys a George Carlin LP and the seller actually bothers to ask the person's age.

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 06:39:43 PM »
i just started getting into vinyl, got my first turn table recently i love going into used stores and finding old lps.  probably my best find was a copy of gentle giants proclamation with the original die cut to make it resemble a playing card.  ive also got some cool godzilla lps from japan.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline mearnest

• Big Montana
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 12:05:15 AM »
For some reason when I made my first post the pic of the second item I found did not show up.  Hopefully it will this time:

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 10:16:23 AM by mearnest »

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 733
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 01:03:08 PM »
Here are some of my favorite rare records that I have. I spoiler tagged the pics so as not to make my post run the whole page:

Buckner & Garcia: Pac-Man Fever Still has the original shrink wrap and hype sticker. Also check out the Pac-Man patterns on the inner sleeve.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dead Kennedys: Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables:
Original first U.S. pressing from IRS records. They changed the cover without the band's permission to make it different from the Cherry Red import version. Later versions were the usual black and white not the horrible orange. Also the picture on the back was taken off when the subjects of the picture threatened a lawsuit.

Guns 'N Roses: Appetite for Destruction: Original 1st pressing release with the "robot rape" artwork.

Lenny & Squiggy Present Lenny and the Squigtones: Its Lenny AND Squiggy singing and making music! How could you go wrong??

The Dwarves: How to Win Friends and Influence People: I love picture discs. Only 1000 were made world wide.

DEVO: Q: Are We Not Men? A: We are DEVO!:Orginal UK Virgin Records picture disc with flexi disc.

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Doc Steve

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 09:51:23 PM »
The only crazy finds I have ever made were a Dutch (Benelux) pressing of the Beatles White Album on white vinyl from 1970, and a first pressing (mono) of the first RCA Elvis Presley album hidden inside a reprint sleeve.  Just for the record, I knew the owner of the store that sold me the Elvis album, and he had bought it from the seller as a $10 reprint.  The owner honored the $10 sales price, and we remained cordial.  (He got a really good deal when I sold by G.B.H. and Crass albums.)  Those two finds are worth almost as much as the rest of my record collection put together. 

We are too far north here to see much of Specialty, Stax, and Volt. 

Offline iv3rdawG

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 104
  • Mr. K. Dilkington
    • Controlled Obsession
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 02:16:44 PM »
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 02:18:33 PM by iv3rdawG »
Controlled Obsession (My website - Movie, TV, Video Games)

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 733
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 02:18:37 PM »
It is funny to see vinyl making a comeback. I haven't shelved this much new vinyl at work since 1990!
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 04:29:45 PM »
I did see at Best Buy today that Guns n Roses new album also was available in vinyl.

Course, the last time they put out an album vinyl was still being sold..... and not as a novelty.

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 05:21:47 PM »
ya i started getting into vinyl right along with the resurgence, ive even bought some new albums only on vinyl and not on cd.  i kinda prefer it.  (this is coming from someone who grew up with cds and cassetes not records)
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline mearnest

• Big Montana
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 11:57:21 PM »
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 12:28:44 PM by mearnest »

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 07:11:46 AM »
I had a boon at Thanksgiving, my uncle had a bunch of records in his attic that had been there for 30-40 years, he let me take what I wanted out of it, I took about 30 albums home with me, and found a non-counterfeited version of Introducing The Beatles, which was awesome.

Offline awfulgoodmovies

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 09:08:33 AM »
All I buy these days is vinyl.

Just bought Steve Malkmus 10" and his new LP.

Stones..Satanic...Exile
ELP....3 albums...
Traffic 3 albums...

And completed my Paul McCartney 70's LP collection with Wild Life.

Still doing Community service for Community servicing a goat.