login

Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 164834 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3692
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #570 on: October 01, 2014, 09:57:38 AM »
Okay, what the heck?

All of these were released today:

I don't recall ever seeing the "stand chest to chest and stare at each other" pose before, and yet here are three all on the same day, and from different companies and artists.

Yoink! Got yer cape!

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #571 on: October 01, 2014, 03:40:21 PM »
Wow, that Batman Superman cover looks like shit.

You did NOT just hate on Jae Lee. GET OUT.

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 646
« Reply #572 on: October 02, 2014, 11:47:46 AM »
I read the Elric book last night, it was really good, I'm looking forward to more. It's supposed to be the first part of a 4-part series.
Yeah, I just read that last night (along with the latest Death of Wolverine and Thor comics) and it's freaking fantastic...I'm an Elric fan from way back; I was obsessed with the Eternal Champions saga in High School and college, and Moorecock was right in the Intro: this is definitely the best adaptation I've see and is makes me furious that I have to wait until April for part 2. :P
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5861
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #573 on: October 02, 2014, 05:03:04 PM »
Read Nexus and I have mixed feelings.  I'll leave it to the Nexus fans to tell me how astute or mistaken I am.  I think it is good overall, and I see why it was revolutionary for its time, but there are a few small problems that bug me: a lot of the characters feel... not ill-defined, per se, but in need of more definition, which may happen in later volumes.

Dave seems interesting, but spends much of the book sidelined so I don't get to know him as well as I'd like (his Tales of Dave stories are pretty great though).  I'm still not sure who Nexus is.  Part of that could be that he is enigmatic, but I feel I want his personality to come across more clearly (which is not a problem for other broader characters like Judah Maccabee, who really shoots some energy into the book.  He does threaten to take it over at times, but that's not a knock against him.  That said, I really wish he spent more time with Dave.  It feels like their chemistry and learning what each man had become would be an excellent arc for both characters.  Some characters feel like they pop out of nowhere, but it feels like the readers are supposed to know them (like that one cat lady who shows up in a scene and suddenly she's fighting for Sundra's life as her defending lawyer.

I also feel that Nexus and Sundra... don't have all that much chemistry.  Maybe it is because they fall in love so fast, but both characters are more interesting when they are separated.

The series is at its when it is being funny/fun.  The Bowl-Shaped World trilogy with the Badger is very fun and reminds me of the cosmic Marvel comics of the 70's in a great was.  And while the art is good, the covers are gorgeous.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #574 on: October 02, 2014, 08:54:56 PM »
So I got around to reading The Twelve over the weekend.  If you aren't familiar with it, it was a limited run series by Joe Straczynski, essentially 12 obscure comic book characters from the '40s were part of the final assult on Berlin and were caught and frozen by the Nazi's in a plan to later experiment on them. Of course that goes wrong and they are not discovered until 60 years later, at which point they are revived and bought back to the US and put up by the Govt.

But wait you cry,.. isn't that Captain America? Yes! and that comparison is made quite explicit in the book itself as Captain America is referenced and even appears a major player in one book. It is set in the greater Marvel Universe.

So it's a story about how these 10 Men, 1 Woman, and 1 Robot attempt to transition into the '00s, dealing with the remains of their families (or not), old loyalties, old sidekicks, old debts, changed social attitudes (antisemitism/homophobia) improved police forensics and so on. Of course this is all the background for a bigger overall story that rises out it.

It was,... ok. Nothing amazing. I think it was hurt that the series included origin stories for every character, in some cases more than 1, so a lot of pages was spent on that, which does really eat into the body of the story. So alright if you like the theme or maybe a JMS fanboy like myself, but probably a pass for most.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4925
« Reply #575 on: October 03, 2014, 02:56:20 AM »
I'm a "JMS fanboy" as well.  Now: take your view of it, then chop the fuckin' story in half and wait - what was it? 2 years?  3?  before it was completed, and you can get an idea how disappointed I was by it. ;)

Quite possibly the least interesting thing JMS has ever done in comics (though I did, literally, fall asleep trying to read some of his Bab5 comics).
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #576 on: October 03, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
Yeah I don't read/watch stuff in progress as a rule. Thanks to  Jean M. Auel taking 12 years to complete a Clan of the Cavebear book.

To be clear, I collected the comics as they came out years ago, but I literally only just picked up the hardcover volume 2 a week or so ago and that's why I finally got around to reading the set.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 06:18:31 PM by BathTub »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4925
« Reply #577 on: October 03, 2014, 07:10:04 PM »
Normally I wait til all issues of a story are out before reading it (the first time I did that was with Watchmen - and boy did that pay off! [read the whole thing in two days when issue 12 finally came out]  I saved up issues for limited series without effort after that)... at any rate... after waiting over a year, I figured The Twelve was never going to get finished, so I read what was there in The Twelve to see if it was any good.  I was unimpressed already at that point (issue 7 or 8 I think it was).  Then, long after that, the story was finished, so I read the remainder, and was even less impressed with it after the conclusion.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 124
  • Hello!
« Reply #578 on: October 06, 2014, 01:47:24 AM »
I read the Elric book last night, it was really good, I'm looking forward to more. It's supposed to be the first part of a 4-part series.
Yeah, I just read that last night (along with the latest Death of Wolverine and Thor comics) and it's freaking fantastic...I'm an Elric fan from way back; I was obsessed with the Eternal Champions saga in High School and college, and Moorecock was right in the Intro: this is definitely the best adaptation I've see and is makes me furious that I have to wait until April for part 2. :P

I loved Elric of New Melnibone, by Moorecock, and I don't care if that sounds gay to anybody... (cause I have heard it all before), Stormbringer was the shits. Stormbringer was the idea behind swords with "ego's" in Dungeons & Dragons.

Also "Blue Oyster Cult" wrote a song about it. Stormbringer was basically an intelligent black hole in the shape of a sword; a tear in space, you could see stars in the Black Blade, if it was in the mood, it could cut through mountains. But if it was pissed at Elric for something, it would jump out of his hands, in the middle of a fight!

Literary genius!
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #579 on: October 06, 2014, 11:02:05 AM »
Reading the Lone Wolf and Cub omnibuses.  Up to Vol. 4 and finally starting to get into the stuff I never read before.  Still fantastic, though I'm amazed about how much I'll have left to read.  Plus, I'll need to read the other feudal age samurai/assassin books the creative team made.  And Crying Freeman.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 164
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #580 on: October 09, 2014, 05:23:07 PM »
Judge Dredd always delivers, John Wagner is probably my favorite writer of all time. Incredible that he's still writing Dredd and he created it in 1977. Also kudos to co-creator artist Carlos Ezquerra who's also still doing it!

2000AD is at 1900+ issues now, only a couple years away from 2000AD #2000.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #581 on: October 09, 2014, 09:39:28 PM »
So, DC's been having one of the artists from the Final Fantasy series redo the costumes for some of their characters. Here's Catwoman:

Wow. That's even worse than most of the 52 costumes are.

Here's the Batman statue by him, BTW:

Bats do have six limbs, right?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:41:27 PM by Compound »

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 646
« Reply #582 on: October 10, 2014, 01:37:06 PM »

Here's the Batman statue by him, BTW:

Bats do have six limbs, right?

If anyone actually had to draw that monstrosity for the comics I think that there would be a revolt over at DC. That thing is more of an eyesore than the Azrael-Batman costume.

err, my own comic reading as of late is still catching up on Civil War, Wolverine, and now I've added the New 52 Batman to the roster. Just picked up the first issue of Birthright and am looking forward to digging into that.
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #583 on: October 10, 2014, 03:23:07 PM »
Reading Jamie Delano-era Hellblazer.  While not bad by any stretch, Delano is only an alright writer with an occasional brilliant story.  Some great fill-in issues by Grant Morrison and Neil Gaiman, though.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6253
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #584 on: October 10, 2014, 06:35:21 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Super-Powered-Revenge-Christmas-Corbett/dp/0990422704

Bill Corbett's comic Super Powered Revenge Christmas is finally out.