Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 164983 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4929
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #435 on: May 04, 2014, 07:09:41 PM »

Y'know... you first look at the thing in the background and think, "my god! That's horrible!"  Then you look at Wolverine and think, "Oh... the background is just supposed to be an average person."
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5889
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #436 on: May 04, 2014, 07:12:40 PM »
Maybe it's Jubilee, back in action!

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2912
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #437 on: May 04, 2014, 07:33:26 PM »
From the Free Comic Book Day issue of Power Rangers:

Of all the characters to get hit by a car...

I do not understand...
FINE

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #438 on: May 04, 2014, 07:40:16 PM »
The actress who played the yellow ranger died in a car accident.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4860
« Reply #439 on: May 07, 2014, 05:21:43 PM »

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #440 on: May 08, 2014, 06:33:01 AM »
Picked up some big thick comics for my journey into the Chilcotin mountains.

Offline monsterbrains

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #441 on: May 15, 2014, 11:34:09 AM »
Comic books are too good and too expensive.  How can you enjoy a comic book that costs $4.95?  At that price I resent the hell out of a cliff hanger ending.  If they were still 60 cents each I would still be collecting.  Plus they reboot everything all the time.  I don't want to read that shit. 

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1516
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #442 on: May 17, 2014, 05:12:39 PM »
Comic books are too good and too expensive.  How can you enjoy a comic book that costs $4.95?  At that price I resent the hell out of a cliff hanger ending.  If they were still 60 cents each I would still be collecting.  Plus they reboot everything all the time.  I don't want to read that shit.

Do what I do. Get the trade paperbacks from the local library.  :)

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #443 on: May 23, 2014, 07:40:19 PM »
Finished Jonah Hex and Weird Fantasy.

Jonah Hex starts off as a grim Western, but at about the second mini-series Joe R Lansdale decides to go increasingly Looney Tunes, with increasingly silly stories and jokes with mixed results.  Largely the humour and the stories are hit or miss with some wacky stuff working well and others sort of negating the stakes.  What starts as a Tremors-style story goes in a strange direction that involves underground science-cities.  That said, the scene with Oscar Wilde is pretty awesome (finally, we learn that he can take care of himself in a fist fight!)  The third story feels a little more like the mix of humour, weirdness and action are better handled, but it turns out to be a so-so story.  Still, it is fun, and if you go into it realizing it has the same vein as Garth Ennis' sillier comics (like Adventures in the Rifle Brigade), you'll have a good time.  Still, I like that somewhat more generic first story best.

Weird Fantasy is not one of EC's best, save that when Harvey Kurtzman comes aboard, he does stories that are very funny and still manage to feel like a solid sci-fi story.  Man, I really got to get into Kurtzman more.

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 124
  • Hello!
« Reply #444 on: May 26, 2014, 04:09:46 PM »
Adult Swim has a new Batman series. Called, "Beware the Batman" it is all CGI, very interesting. Alfred is a younger dude, bald, still has the MI6 background but he acts as Bruce Wayne's bodyguard....

It is not Paul Dini or Alan Burnette but it is Sam Register who was their guy. Made a lot of DC movies. Good Batman animated movies. Very obscure villains like "Magpie" but they have to have the Joker. We'll see, only two eps so far and the next one features Anarky! So, that would be good!
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #445 on: May 26, 2014, 06:07:17 PM »
Read Templar.  I wasn't riveted, per se and it took a while to get going, but it is a rather good read.  I guess my biggest complaint is that the lead is kind of unlikable, but the idea of a medieval heist story is pretty cool and the heist itself is pretty solid.

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 124
  • Hello!
« Reply #446 on: May 26, 2014, 07:37:51 PM »
I liked Templar, but I agree with you the lead is not very likable.
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2399
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #447 on: May 27, 2014, 02:57:06 AM »
Adult Swim has a new Batman series. Called, "Beware the Batman" it is all CGI, very interesting. Alfred is a younger dude, bald, still has the MI6 background but he acts as Bruce Wayne's bodyguard....

It is not Paul Dini or Alan Burnette but it is Sam Register who was their guy. Made a lot of DC movies. Good Batman animated movies. Very obscure villains like "Magpie" but they have to have the Joker. We'll see, only two eps so far and the next one features Anarky! So, that would be good!

It's good that it still exists. They took it off the air at the end of last year and it looked like it was going away like most good action cartoons do.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3702
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #448 on: May 27, 2014, 03:12:10 PM »
So I decided I want to get familiar with Guardians of the Galaxy. The graphic novels are too pricey and there are too many back issues to hunt down, so I decided to give Marvel Unlimited a try. I get digital access to the full 2008-2010 run, which is probably what the movie is going to be referencing mostly. At the rate I'm reading it, I'll probably be through the whole bunch by the end of the week. Don't know if I'll keep my subscription after I'm done, but I feel like I got my $10 worth.

It's a lot of fun. The "Marvel in space" thing normally bores me to tears (Superheroes all seem a bit less fantastic when they're out in outer space), but the snappy writing and interesting characters keep me coming back. 

Now I'm even more excited for the movie.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2912
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #449 on: May 27, 2014, 04:38:28 PM »
So I decided I want to get familiar with Guardians of the Galaxy. The graphic novels are too pricey and there are too many back issues to hunt down, so I decided to give Marvel Unlimited a try. I get digital access to the full 2008-2010 run, which is probably what the movie is going to be referencing mostly. At the rate I'm reading it, I'll probably be through the whole bunch by the end of the week. Don't know if I'll keep my subscription after I'm done, but I feel like I got my $10 worth.

It's a lot of fun. The "Marvel in space" thing normally bores me to tears (Superheroes all seem a bit less fantastic when they're out in outer space), but the snappy writing and interesting characters keep me coming back. 

Now I'm even more excited for the movie.

I've been an Unlimited subscriber since launch and I've had my money's worth easily.
FINE