Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 165053 times)

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #300 on: May 18, 2013, 07:50:47 PM »
That's probably EXACTLY the reason it's happening :P I don't know how you feel about Injustice, but it's pretty good. If you haven't checked it out yet, I'd give it a thumbs up, if my opinion means anything ;) I'm also probably the only person I know who really liked most of the Before Watchmen books. Minutemen was far and away the best, followed by Dr. Manhattan.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 210
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #301 on: May 19, 2013, 04:08:42 PM »
Just spent 3 days at the Motor City Comi-con.  Friday and Sunday were awesome.  Saturday?

Well, in the end I guess it was worth it, but let me put it this way...
1. Last year, the Suburban Collection Showcase Center where it is held put up a record for the MCCC for 17-18,000 people coming in the doors.
2. This was enough for them to get Stan Lee to show up for one day only...which they did.
3. Traffic backed up in the interstate, parked miles away, and got heatstroke to attend.  One guy working at the con estimated 25-30,000 showed up.
4. The Showcase was not ready for this.  Internet inside the building went down, people with advance tickets (but not special Stan Lee tickets) waited out in 80 degree weather for three hours (most in costume), and the concession lines never went empty.

Now, I know most of you who attend enormous conventions in San Diego and elsewhere are used to long lines for big name celebrities.  This is normally the sort of con where a 25 minute wait to get inside the building is considered ridiculous.

Well, at least now they'll know better.  And I am happy that Stan signed my copy of Monsters to Laugh With Magazine, and seeing it put a smile on his face.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

BiteMe316

« Reply #302 on: May 20, 2013, 05:04:01 AM »
Now, I know most of you who attend enormous conventions in San Diego and elsewhere are used to long lines for big name celebrities.  This is normally the sort of con where a 25 minute wait to get inside the building is considered ridiculous.

Gee, ya think?  That is exactly why I don't attend conventions of any kind.  That and they're never held anywhere near me to being with.   :P

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #303 on: May 20, 2013, 12:59:20 PM »
I have never had a desire to go to a convention. Horror stories from Comic-Con and Wondercon have always discouraged me. That, and, I live in Utah.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #304 on: May 20, 2013, 01:14:37 PM »
Just spent 3 days at the Motor City Comi-con.  Friday and Sunday were awesome.  Saturday?

Well, in the end I guess it was worth it, but let me put it this way...
1. Last year, the Suburban Collection Showcase Center where it is held put up a record for the MCCC for 17-18,000 people coming in the doors.
2. This was enough for them to get Stan Lee to show up for one day only...which they did.
3. Traffic backed up in the interstate, parked miles away, and got heatstroke to attend.  One guy working at the con estimated 25-30,000 showed up.
4. The Showcase was not ready for this.  Internet inside the building went down, people with advance tickets (but not special Stan Lee tickets) waited out in 80 degree weather for three hours (most in costume), and the concession lines never went empty.

Well, at least now they'll know better.  And I am happy that Stan signed my copy of Monsters to Laugh With Magazine, and seeing it put a smile on his face.

Couldn't go this year due to the Opera but yeah it was by all accounts mobbed.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 01:18:21 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 210
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #305 on: May 20, 2013, 08:20:47 PM »
According to a more recent news story, last year's total con attendance was 18,000.  That same amount showed up this year on Saturday alone, making 30,000 the total for the entire weekend.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2399
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #306 on: May 21, 2013, 02:09:45 AM »
Got a pair of tickets to Comicpalooza in Houston this weekend for my birthday, so Erica and I are finally going to our first con.  We wish we could go all out on the cosplay for it, but as it is we're just kind of inferring the characters.  I'm going to wear my Joker suit without any of the makeup, and she's getting a Harley Quinn themed tank-dress from ThinkGeek that should arrive just in time.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #307 on: May 22, 2013, 11:53:48 PM »
yknow, something that isn't LarFleeze or VIBE. I'm still not sure why either of those are happening.

Because DC is currently up to its knees in a sand trap, swinging its club about furiously, in the frenzied hope that somehow, some way, they'll connect and get the ball back onto the fairway.

Yeah. I'll take THAT bet.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #308 on: May 23, 2013, 03:59:03 AM »
Yeah, DC is a crazy mess.  There's still some good stuff and it's nice that at least it's made some good creators into big names (Jeff Lemire), but what the hell is the deal with the fact that there's constant creator swap outs, including guys who last one issue.  The universe itself now seems a lot more confusing in it's continuity than after any continuity rewrite before.

Marvel seems to be doing a lot better with interesting, quirky and creator-driven series like Hawkeye, Daredevil and Uncanny Avengers.  Also, most of there series seemed to be focused on just being fun.  Yeah, there are a few corssover things (I hear Age of Ultron isn't that great), but it's not like the constant barrage of mini-crossovers with DC (There were 2 back to back Batman crossovers).

It's sad that it looks like DC already needs a continuity wipe to undo their continuity wipe.  Of course, what's really needed is an editor wipe.  It's sounds like Bob Harras might be largely responsible for poor editorial decisions.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #309 on: May 23, 2013, 10:20:05 AM »
 picked up the  Godzilla  fifty years war trade yesterday.  Looking  forward to getting a moment to sit down and read it.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #310 on: June 19, 2013, 01:44:29 PM »
Does somebody want to explain to me the end of Age of Ultron?!!

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 632
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #311 on: August 07, 2013, 04:47:28 PM »
Battling Boy is a departure for the idiosyncratic cartoonist in that it’s aimed more directly at younger readers. Kirby’s Kamandi: The Last Boy On Earth would appear to be a significant influence, and recent remarks made by Pope at Comic-Con International in San Diego confirm his fondness for that Kirby classic and a desire to create a new comic for children. CBR’s Sonia Harris quotes Pope as saying, “I sat down with the head of DC Comics. I really wanted to do Kamandi, this Jack Kirby character. I had this great pitch… and he said ‘You think this is gonna be for kids? Stop, stop. We don’t publish comics for kids. We publish comics for 45-year olds. If you want to do comics for kids, you can do Scooby-Doo.”

http://comicsalliance.com/battling-boy-trailer-video-paul-pope-first-second/
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2912
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #312 on: August 07, 2013, 04:58:10 PM »
Battling Boy is a departure for the idiosyncratic cartoonist in that it’s aimed more directly at younger readers. Kirby’s Kamandi: The Last Boy On Earth would appear to be a significant influence, and recent remarks made by Pope at Comic-Con International in San Diego confirm his fondness for that Kirby classic and a desire to create a new comic for children. CBR’s Sonia Harris quotes Pope as saying, “I sat down with the head of DC Comics. I really wanted to do Kamandi, this Jack Kirby character. I had this great pitch… and he said ‘You think this is gonna be for kids? Stop, stop. We don’t publish comics for kids. We publish comics for 45-year olds. If you want to do comics for kids, you can do Scooby-Doo.”

The series that he pitched it after (Batman Year 100) was in 2006, so it seems that that conversation happened with the previous head-honchos at DC.

So, that is terrible, but isn't really necessarily the opinion of DC now (especially given that they recently wiped the slate clean and started again in the hopes of attracting a new, younger audience).
FINE

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 632
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #313 on: August 07, 2013, 05:35:16 PM »

The series that he pitched it after (Batman Year 100) was in 2006, so it seems that that conversation happened with the previous head-honchos at DC.

So, that is terrible, but isn't really necessarily the opinion of DC now (especially given that they recently wiped the slate clean and started again in the hopes of attracting a new, younger audience).

well thank goodness for that ;D
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #314 on: August 08, 2013, 03:58:34 AM »
In the middle of vol. 2 of the Madman Omnibus.  I love Mike Allred.  It's tremendously fun and it's a pleasure to catch up on these classic books I'd never gotten around to before.