login

Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 141362 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4894
  • Mr. Robot
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2010, 07:42:37 PM »
Hey, at least you live somewhere near a place a con could happen.  The very rare times that does happen in my home town, I find a way to miss it.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2010, 05:31:04 AM »
Digression over.  Will return with comic reviews.  And maybe check out North World.  I went to the website and saw that it looks like it was actually drawn...on paper...with art.  That immediately puts it a step above most webcomics I've seen.   ;D

North World is indeed drawn on paper with brushes; at the Spokane Comicsmiths' Guild meeting last, he was showing us some new stuff he's developing for book 4 (1-3 are available from Oni Press).

Lars is a drawing machine; he is ALWAYS drawing. And I mean always. It's nuts.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 742
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2010, 10:00:58 AM »
... Possibly the most tragic thing I've seen was Alfonso Ribeiro making his own change from a crappy little cash box, poor Carlton.

Was he wearing his Michael Jackson jacket from the Pepsi commercials? That would be an even sadder sight.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2010, 08:03:18 PM »
I just recently finished "Mercury" by Hope Larson. A very interesting story, and the first I've read by this author. Her website lists an adaptation of "A Wrinkle In Time" on her "upcoming projects", which DEFINITELY has my attention.

Pretty good book that's kind of hard for me to provide a synopsis for, so I'll see if I can find the blurb:

August 31, 5:15 PM, French Hill, Nova Scotia: A girl named Tara is running. She runs through her nice neighborhood and up a road to the burned ruins of what was once a beautiful house--her family's house.

August 31, 1859, French Hill, Nova Scotia: A girl named Josey is picking blackberries with her friend Connie. As the girls gossip, a handsome stranger knocks on the door of Josey's house. His name is Asa, and with his coming, Josey's life--and later in time, Tara's as well--is about to change forever.

Because there is treasure in the woods that belong to Josey's family. Gold--an untold fortune. Asa has a secret way of finding it, and his partnership with Josey's father could make them all rich. But there is darkness in the woods, and in Asa. And in the present day, Tara, Josey's descendent, is about to discover the truth about what really happened in the family's past.

Eisner award winner Hope Larson weaves together history, romance, and a touch of her trademark magical realism in this remarkable graphic novel of how the past haunts a teenage girl's present.

Yeah, that about nails it.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 972
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2010, 08:13:31 PM »

What I do find amusing, though, is how a lot of people at comic/sci-fi/nerd conventions sell DVDs of "movies" that are, essentially, no-budget enterprises. 

Meh. Better that than the tables selling DVDs of bootlegged anime and compilations of series that they've ripped from VHS tapes.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2010, 09:15:32 PM »
True.  Like I said, I salute anybody who goes out there and puts their neck on the line.  I just wish more of them would think about how the finished product looks.  I mean, Nostalgia Critic is filmed in front of a blank wall, with Doug just sitting there most of the time, and yet just because he has a microphone near his head and sound effects, it just comes off a lot more polished.  There's "filming in your house" and "looking like you filmed in your house."

It's funny, everybody thinks movies begin and end with the actors in front of the camera, but without the people behind it doing all the pre, mid and post-production work and clean-up, those actors would look pretty silly.

Still haven't gone through the indy stuff yet; got caught up in iRiff stuff today and fell behind on my stack.  But I will, just you wait!
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2010, 09:13:25 AM »
The library had this so this is what I am reading right now.

Not only are the stories pretty good but I had no idea Dave Gibbons ever did art work for Doctor Who!  It's pretty good art work too,the only trouble is he seems to have real trouble with Tom Baker's face.  Over all it is a good read so far and I can't wait to read the other three volumes my library has.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2010, 11:04:50 AM »
Alan Moore did a couple short Dr. Who comics too, early in his career, though I have no idea if they've been reprinted.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2010, 11:30:10 AM »
Alan Moore did a couple short Dr. Who comics too, early in his career, though I have no idea if they've been reprinted.

Wow.  I would love to see those.

The first story in this set The Ion Legion is average,but the art work does a lot for it.

The second City of the Damned is pretty brilliant.  it's a story that could not have been done on Tv at the time but feels like it should have been and the art work is really good.  I wouldn't mind seeing it turned into an episode or two of Doctor Who at some point.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2010, 11:34:06 AM »
Well, here he is talking about it, briefly, you can see a very fleeting glimpse of one of the issues.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2010, 01:31:09 PM »
Alan Moore talks about his favourite super-hero.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9tsXK5Z29jk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9tsXK5Z29jk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

Doctor Who?

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2010, 05:02:47 PM »
Well, here he is talking about it, briefly, you can see a very fleeting glimpse of one of the issues.

Well that was interesting.  "Never any good after Hartnell left"  I have never heard anyone say that before.  Also which Doctor was that supposed to be.  it looked like a cross Between Hartnell,McGann,and Pertwee.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2010, 05:30:51 PM »
Well that was interesting.  "Never any good after Hartnell left"  I have never heard anyone say that before.

I'm actually not surprised, since from what I gather, Alan Moore hates everything.  Granted, I like his work, and I understand the guy's point about creativity and the squelching of it and all that, but I think he's been a 75-year-old curmudgeon for 30 years now.  He's sort of like the guy you run into at a record shop that, whenever you go to buy anything, tells you your music sucks and that nothing is quite like the awesome band he listens to that no one has ever heard of, and might not actually exist, but he uses it as an excuse to point out how much of a pleb you are.  Example:

"What's that?"
"Oh, I'm just picking up this old Depeche Mode record.  I'm thinking of picking up a bunch of vinyl stuff."
"Depeche Mode?  Pfft.  They're nothing but a rip-off of Innuendo Circlehat."
"Inn...Innuendo Circlehat?"
"Yeah, '70s band, used to play the nightclub circuit in Queens, real grinder synth, years ahead of its time.  YOU would've never heard of them, though."
"I think you just made them up."
"Heh, made them up.  Next thing you'll be telling me is that Motley Crue was in no way influenced by Taint of Anaxerxes."

I mean, I can understand being upset by the movies of "V for Vendetta" and "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen," but Zach Snyder practically kissed Alan's ass making "Watchmen," give or take an ending or two, and Moore refuses to watch it or lend his name to it because he believes things made in a certain media should stay that way.

You know, says the guy who drew comics of the TV show Doctor Who.   ;D

Like I said, I like the guy's work, but I think years of dealing with executives really embittered him in a way that's awfully tragic.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2010, 11:12:06 PM »

I mean, I can understand being upset by the movies of "V for Vendetta" and "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen," but Zach Snyder practically kissed Alan's ass making "Watchmen," give or take an ending or two, and Moore refuses to watch it or lend his name to it because he believes things made in a certain media should stay that way.

Though it probably didn't help that he took away a job from good friend Steve Moore (no relation) when he was struggling financially.  Quite by accident though, as Zach thought that he could stop the over merchandising by canceling the novelization of the movie.  Poor Zach.  Yeah, Alan Moore strikes me as a brilliant man, but not one who is particularly fun to talk to.  Listen to, but not talk to.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2010, 05:55:35 AM »
I don't know he sort of sounds like one of my Uncles and if he's talking about Glycon that would be sort of a fun conversation.

Just me then?