login

Author Topic: Iron Maiden  (Read 11576 times)

Offline Dr.Impossible

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
Re: Iron Maiden
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 04:24:44 PM »
Iron Maiden. There's a name that takes me back. Their new albums still suck, or are they good again yet?

BLASPHEMY!!!!!

Iron Maiden never sucked, IMO. Yeah, there was that whole period of time without the divinity of Dickenson to grace them where they fell from "Most Bad Ass Band Ever" to "Better Than 90% Of The Other Bands Out There", but they still rocked hard.

Sorry, I'm probably biased. I'm one of those people that wants to carve Eddie's visage into my arm with a knife. Pak won't let me.

As far as actual studio albums are concerned there were two with Bayley singing X Factor and Virtual XI. Not very good material. Brave New World with Bruce back is good. Dance of Death has maybe one or two ok tracks but I really like the latest album A Matter of Life and Death.

I have not cared much for any of their albums since Brave New World
You can't spell manslaughter without laughter.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 11:14:39 PM »
WOOT!  Scored PIT tickets for the Maiden show in Albuquerque!!  Now hopefully I will win the "Be the first to the barrier" contest for that show! If you win they let you in 20-30 minutes before anyone else so you can stake out a spot on the stage barrier!!
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 08:49:49 PM »
Gah, they're coming to Albuquerque??!! How could I not know this?!!!!

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 09:12:34 PM »
Gah, they're coming to Albuquerque??!! How could I not know this?!!!!

I would keep checking Livenation.com for tickets. They had 1 pit ticket available right now.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 11:53:43 AM »
I will be there when they hit Detroit.... haven't seen them in concert since the "Fear of the Dark" tour back in '92 or whatever. I got a Fear of the Dark CD autographed at a record store after the concert... which I already owned... but they required everyone to re-purchase it at the sale price of $6.66.

Anyways... They always put on a good show and have fun with it... no lame posturing or taking themselves too seriously... a great band to see live even if you are only a casual fan of their music.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 06:36:45 PM »
Everyone in the band is always smiling while they play. Even when they were on the skids with Blaze Bayley and only able to play clubs with stages so small they couldn't have Eddie come out, they always had a good time.

Offline Thorns of Crimson Death

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 09:31:55 PM »
Hails to Maiden!  I was lucky enough to see them at Ozzfest '05 (the only reason I went to it).  It was a couple weeks before they got "kicked" off the tour by Sharon (mega-bitch) Osbourne.  I'm gonna have to see if they're coming to the Boston area for sure because they are PHENOMENAL live in concert.  As a side note I saw my friends Iron Maiden tribute band this past Friday.  Iron Mustache is what they go by  and they KILLED it.  There was an explosion of beer as soon as they started playing the first song.  Soaked in beer and moshing it up was a blast.
A spell was cast and the sky turned red.  The Angel's heart froze to ice.  Roses of blood from an innocent soul.  On the plain lies an Angel dead.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3789
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 09:37:56 PM »
This slipped my mind a bit, but one of my favorite songs  just happens to be 'DUNE' from their 'Piece of Mind' album (1983) just a year before the movie came out..
Now Why, I wonder, was no part of that song ever used in the movie??

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2008, 11:19:49 PM »
Moshing to Maiden is just wrong.

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 11:25:53 PM »

And why is that?  I had a blast.  Plus it beats what happened at Ozzfest:  People throwing full bottles of water at each other and basically anything else they could get their hands on.
A spell was cast and the sky turned red.  The Angel's heart froze to ice.  Roses of blood from an innocent soul.  On the plain lies an Angel dead.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2008, 11:28:08 PM »
Maiden just isn't a band to mosh too. Wrong type of music. Last show I was at Bruce stopped the show when people were moshing.

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2008, 11:31:36 PM »
Gonna have to disagree.  Maiden is power metal, and ALL metal is moshable.  If Bruce stopped the show because of it, well that's weak in my opinion.  He's a phenomenal singer/frontman but he is a bit pretentious.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2008, 11:43:25 PM »
Gonna have to disagree.  Maiden is power metal, and ALL metal is moshable.  If Bruce stopped the show because of it, well that's weak in my opinion.  He's a phenomenal singer/frontman but he is a bit pretentious.

As far as I am concerned if a band doesn't want something going on at their show they have the right to do something about it. It is their show. There are plenty of Maiden fans that want to watch the show without having to worry about what is going on behind them or get kicked in the head by crowd surfers.  I am old enough to remember the days before metal co-opted slam dancing and the term moshing came about. One of the best shows I ever slam danced at was the first punk rock show a metal bar had. All they were used to were long hairs banging their heads so they had no bouncers lining the stage at all. It was a free for all we got to stage dive for the first time in years (most of the punk clubs in miami banned it when a knucklehead cracked his skull at a Bad Brains show at the old Cameo Theater) hell people were still slamming to canned music in between the bands sets.

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 01:05:48 AM »
I'm in a Melodic Death metal band myself.  I can stand by your quote of saying that a band has a right to see what they want happening at their show.  We fully support moshing as it's a sign that the fans are enjoying the music and having a good time.  However, as an artist you're putting your art out there for the FANS.  So if they do mosh and we didn't support it we're not going to tell them to stop.  We'll leave that to the venue since it's not our job to babysit the crowd.  Our only concern is putting on the best show possible.  So if a band, in my opinion, does demand that a crowd knocks it off then they're turning their backs on the very people who are responsible for their success.  Might as well pull an Axl Rose and just leave the stage mid-set while you're at it.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2008, 09:07:47 PM »

Agreed.

Also...

IRON MOUSTACHE!

That's awesome....