Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 305406 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5296
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #1665 on: December 07, 2013, 02:10:05 PM »
Watched the Toast and Rice riff of Santa And The Fairy Snow Queen - Watching this a second time, this short REALLY drags. The riffing is decent but too sparse to liven it up much. His performance is okay, but not great, and with no advantage of multiple riffers there isn't much comparison. I would still recommend it, though.

Damn, the Fairy Snow Queen's got a nice rack!
  I think the picture quality in this is better than the one Rifftrax used.
  How is "I gave the toys life" a joke? Seriously, even in the context of the rest of this, that makes no sense. Even the characters don't seem to get it.
  The Snow Queen seems to be able to do anything with her magic (except make a damn sugar cookie herself) yet later she says she lost her magic...and then decides the toys will be alive for only part of the time and uses her magic...I'm confused.
  Wow, the soldier has a terrible singing voice. And what is with the arm movements during his marching?
  The Candy Lion looks like somebody made a rug into a lion.
  I love how Santa looks so sleepy eyed you get the idea he thinks he's still dreaming. Wait till he finally wakes up and realizes that because of fairy's whim he now has a whole new toy managerial department he has to deal with.

Hey, I noticed he didn't make a riff about Dick Pitstck either.

Is it me or does Dancing With The Stars keep getting more and more wierd?

Jane Austin: Saturday Night Fever.

Hey kids, goosestepping is cool.

Is there a part of this where someone explains to the Fairy Snow Queen what a joke is?

"I've never seen a doll cry before."---You've been sentient for five minutes!

I think I'll go visit the Easter Bunny. Make his eggs hatch into zombie chickens. That might be fun.

Offline NosferatusCoffin

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 64
    • Cinemasochism
« Reply #1666 on: December 07, 2013, 07:24:45 PM »
I watched that short a few years ago and briefly considered it for a project, but like "The Starfighters", there is so little "there" there, that it makes riffing it a very daunting task. I salute anyone who takes it on, especially as a solo iRiff.
Catch us on Cinemamsochism:
http://www.cinemasochism.com/

Catch us on iRiffs:
http://www.rifftrax.com/search/apachesolr_search/cinemasochism

"Diplomats. The best diplomat I know of is a fully loaded phaser bank." - Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1667 on: December 08, 2013, 06:32:29 PM »
Watched the Sleepaway Camp riff by Hor-Riff-ic Productions again. Still fun, although it feels a little lighter than there later efforts. That may be because it's the two of them, they hadn't added Satan to be a regular riffer yet.

I have watched this movie a bunch of times, and I will never understand why Mel seems to immediately peg the one young kid as the killer. Yeah, he's pretty quick to anger and very foulmouthed, but why him? Also, what is the age range of kids in this camp?
I will say, for an early slasher film, this does have a few brutal kills. The camera may linger too long on the screaming cook after he gets scalded, but it is painful (even if the creepy guy did deserve his comeuppance). And the way she kills the bitchy girl Judy, even though they don't show it, is pretty fucked up.

"Goodbye." - (Erin)Will you keep it down? (Gary)God, it's nothing but talk talk talk with her.

And the camp authorities spring into action!

"I know a lot of things." - I got the rashes to prove it.

Put me down, or you'll get the lightest pummeling you've ever had.

Ok, none of you get killed while I'm gone.

The whole slew of penis jokes at the end because they had to not ruin the twist.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #1668 on: December 10, 2013, 02:31:21 PM »
Just watched my own riff of Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter and I was surprised at how much I had forgotten about it. I whipped up these guys while watching it. Figured they deserved this treatment. If you haven't checked it out yet, it would be totally cool of you if you would give it a whirl. http://goo.gl/WLg3oY

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #1669 on: December 31, 2013, 04:04:42 PM »
So thanks to Darth Geek's generosity, I was able to partake in some iRiffs that I otherwise might have passed up (my Rifftrax buying in general has slowed a lot, mostly due to not having time to actually watch them... I'm something like two or three VODs behind. But I digress.)

The first one I watched was Rabbit Ears' "This Is Coffee". I'm going to admit that I haven't really been following this team much, so I have no idea what's going on in their opening segment. I guess they're trying to build an ongoing story, which... is fine? I dunno, it doesn't do anything for me. Two girls and a dude in a letterman's jacket break into a crazy old prospector's apartment while he's watching an old educational short about coffee I guess.

Right off the bat, I'm gonna say that I think these guys need to put more energy into their delivery. Sometimes the reading comes off really, REALLY flat. The opening line is "The commissioner is calling at 7:20. I better get up." It's spoken in a VERY matter-of-fact manner, and it took me a while to realize that the phone in the background of the shot was red, which meant they were most likely going for an Adam West Batman joke. An impression of Adam West would have gone a long way. This was pretty constant throughout, and is probably my main criticism. The other would be timing - there were a couple of jokes that really stepped on each other, including one that sounded like it was spoken by the same actor, which meant that it sounded like one very long, very strange joke.
The last thing that I'd say is that I think you had something with the "Water, Coffee, Time" gag, but know when to stop - it got kind of old.

Favorite riffs:
"I'm really glad that mug is properly marked. Otherwise I might have brewed a cup of cinnamon."
Narrator: "Is this coffee?"
"Yes!"
Narrator:"Well, no..."
"Wait, what?"
"You fool! Those are cranberries!"
"Did we suddenly step into Lady & the Tramp?"
(On instruction that you need to start with a clean coffeepot)
"So the same as just about anything else in food preparation, then?"
I will say this, the short made me want coffee. So I ended up making a pot.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1497
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #1670 on: January 01, 2014, 07:51:50 AM »
Team Swizzlebeef - Ricky Raccoon Shows The Way

A great way to start off my 2014! This one came out of the blue. I knew they were working on a new riff, but hadn't heard anything in a while. BAM. Woke up to see this was now available.

These guys are always top notch & I'll buy their stuff as soon as it comes out.  This short was a great find because it's so bizarre.  Plus with it being a VOD they are able to play around with it a little (like pausing it for Doug's meltdown).  The plot as near as I can tell is basically a family buys a new house that is haunted by a giant anthropomorphic raccoon who could easily live in the same village as that evil Christmas bunny.  Tons of great riffs in this one, "That's my groin kid!" had me in tears because it was so bonkers. Seriously, the further into the short I got the more creepy Ricky became.  In turn it made the "this even makes Pedobear uncomfortable" riff from early in the riff funnier.  Well done guys for having a joke that became funnier in hindsight!

Long story short, this iRiff should not be missed.

Favorite riffs:
"Always make sure you check your brakes before walking anywhere"
The pause for Doug.
"Hike your pants up just as HARD AS YOU CAN!"
"That's my groin kid!"
Say, what do I do if it's raining? "You get wet!"
"THERE'S A BEE IN THIS THING!"
"Stoop or I'll shot"
"I'm rabid!"
"Heil Hitler!"
Terrified woman exiting her car.
The worst Stan Lee cameo ever.
Ricky Raccoon actually stars as Ricky Raccoon.  :o

Offline NosferatusCoffin

• Schnappi Supporter
    • Cinemasochism
« Reply #1671 on: January 01, 2014, 04:52:52 PM »
Oh man, that looks and sounds delicious.

Gotta love Mr. B Natural oddness and pain. I will get this one, just to see how PedoBear this really is.

Catch us on iRiffs:

"Diplomats. The best diplomat I know of is a fully loaded phaser bank." - Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott

Offline NosferatusCoffin

• Schnappi Supporter
    • Cinemasochism
« Reply #1672 on: January 01, 2014, 05:31:23 PM »
Ok. Bought it. Downloaded it. Watched it.

GOOD LORD THAT WAS BIZARRE!

This is what would happen if Mr. B Natural was a Furrie. And the PedoBear riff was right on. This would turn the stomach of Joseph Mengele and Jeffery Dahmer.

I think I need to watch another DePalma movie to cleanse my palate.

Riffing was excellent. Both in delivery and content. I would say I got the biggest laugh out of the protection money for the National Safety Council. And other good ones have already have been mentioned above.

TS gets a Super Gold Star just for finding this horror.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 05:45:47 PM by NosferatusCoffin »

Catch us on iRiffs:

Offline MPF

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #1673 on: January 01, 2014, 07:00:31 PM »
Thanks, guys! Hopefully we'll keep up this pace, and get our next riff out before 2091!
"My Anti-Drug is Swizzlebeef."

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1674 on: January 01, 2014, 07:19:21 PM »
Was planning on getting this anyway (Team Swizzlebeef is always gold), but now I can't wait. Will try downloading it with my parents' slow connection tonight.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1675 on: January 01, 2014, 08:19:37 PM »
Ok, uh...let me just get my thoughts collected here... :speechless:
Team Swizzlebeef's riff of Ricky Raccoon Shows The Way...woooooow. This short is really upper tier creepiness. Not quite One Got Fat, but still.
The riff was very good. There were a few times the delivery was a little flat by the deeper voiced one of the two, but that wasn't often. The jokes themselves were excellent. I particularly like the running gag about the guy not being able to see out of the costume. And the pausing of the short (because it's a VOD) I don't think I've seen before, it was a nice use of the format.
Definitely recommended.

Ricky has the power to become any of the Village People.

I really can't see in this costume, should I be driv-AH! *boom*

March, my puppets!

You can't have an old friend when you're ten.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 08:24:13 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline MPF

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #1676 on: January 01, 2014, 08:53:51 PM »
Thanks kindly, Darth! Apparently Giantpez and I share a voice - there are three of us, so now we can go fight over which one of us has a deeper voice, and blame each other for flatness (it was totally Doug).

This one did hurt a bit to get out - we thought the balls-out weirdness of it was going to make it easier, until the third time we watched it in total stunned silence. We're thinking about putting out a totally unedited version (or just an alternate audio track with the cut jokes and the super-dark stuff we decided against using (and a visit from the Panda!)) - we'll see how willing we are to sit down and watch this again repeatedly first ;)
"My Anti-Drug is Swizzlebeef."

Offline giantpez

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 23
    • Team Swizzlebeef
« Reply #1677 on: January 01, 2014, 09:55:14 PM »
No Mike, we are not willing to sit (or stand or crouch) and watch this repeatedly ever again.

And Mike was totally flat. He had taken a lot of Ambien before recording, to be fair.
"A Different Kind Of Company. A Different Kind Of Swizzlebeef."

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #1678 on: January 02, 2014, 03:18:21 PM »
Now I suddenly wish I had heard of this one before I got my iRiffmas stuff.  But hey, that just means buying more iRiff stuff, which is far from being a bad thing.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline ithonicfury

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #1679 on: January 03, 2014, 08:43:46 AM »
Got my iRiffmas stuff, picked up Drawback Productions Fast 5, and Infectious riff of the Roger Corman movie Fast and Furious, also got Tom and Jon's riff of The Mummy (haven't watched that one yet, though), so heres my (probably too nitpicky) reviews.
---
Fast Five - Drawback Productions

Packaging:
Came with a good intro, respectfully acknowledging what happened, and that the riff was a week from being complete before the death of Paul Walker (easy to believe, since at this point they have already riffed a couple episodes of Highway to Heaven featuring Paul Walker, so it was an obvious progression.)  In essence, this isn’t just a cheap cash in, and it was the decision to post this and seem insensitive, or throw away almost a years worth of work.

—Syncing—
I watch riffs by combining them with the movie audio into one file for my media center, so I’ll also see how hard that is.

Lining it up: Sync lines came in doc format, instead of plain text, or even rtf. TextEdit (default mac text editor) opens it as several different pages with riff time on one page, movie time on another, and the lines on another. So I had to open them in a different, heavier editor (MSWord opened it fine, formatting was a bit wrong in Pages though).  The formatting of the lines and times meant I couldn’t delete each row as I move through and get done with sync lines to keep track of where I am.  Everything lined up well though, there seemed to be some very slight drift in the middle, but tbh I dont know if I have the extended version or not, guess I’ll see when I watch it if they riff something in some part which I’m not seeing.  (after watching it, a few jokes [like maybe 3 or 4] seemed to come a bit before what they were referencing, like the scenes were ever so slightly out of order, not sure if its due to differences in my disc)

Audio levels: The riff audio had some parts that were fairly quiet (presumably to match the volume of the scene they were riffing), so when I turned it up so those were better several other parts were too loud.  Probably not anything people would notice if watching it alongside the movie on a separate device, but I use some ducking and compression when syncing and like a more consistently even volume, so as the movie volume is reined in it makes the loud parts of the riff stand out more. But thats just what I noticed on the first go at syncing them, and other riffs I’ve got from Drawback Productions responded pretty well to going a bit more aggressive with the compression and gain to even it out, so in the end wont be a problem.

—General thoughts—
Audio quality: Good audio quality, no real distortion, clipping, static or other noise. There is something about it that I just can’t describe which makes it not quite as crisp and clear as some others like the Rifftrax guys, Quiptracks or One Wall Cinema, but its still quite good.

Riff review:
Many laugh out loud jokes, good timing, good banter, good delivery, very few gags and jokes that didn’t work. Good amount of jokes, never thought the commentary had over long gaps, and never felt like they were just cramming in as much as they could.  Overall very good, I’ll definitely be watching it again several times.

I would have liked a few more Highway to Heaven references though, because to me they’re in the same continuity. The kid on the beach in ‘Birds of a Feather’ got too much toxicity and became a bit slow and developed a stutter so parents abandoned him at home for mentally disabled kids. He’s then passed to Scotty and Diane who, overwhelmed with their own problems, re-abandon him after the initial wonderment of having a child passes (like a puppy that keeps shitting on the couch and chewing everything up, you get over how cute it may have once been), but the brief time he spent with Scotty imbued him with 2 things, a sense of Justice, and a love for motorized conveyances. He keeps thinking again how if only he could go that little bit faster, maybe Scotty would love him again, which fuels his speed fetish.  Also, theres clearly times when him and Vin have ‘the stuff’, and there’s the insistence to remind everyone every so often that since Vin wears a cross and prays before meals that must make him the good guy.  The Rock’s sweat = Michael Landon’s tears?  Ok, maybe not.

------------------
Roger Corman Fast and Furious - Infectious iriff

Audio Levels: Overall good levels for riffs and movie, the riff audio is maybe a bit loud, but it works ok.

Audio Quality: pretty good, no real scratchy or tinny audio, a little rough in parts but not so its bad.

Riff review: Overall fairly good riffing, but after a while though it loses steam…this is a Corman film after all (10 minutes of movie crammed into an hour and twelve minutes.) And it being a solo riff did hurt it, as many times there was nothing happening on screen to do anything with and no one else to bounce off of. (note; I normally don’t mind solo riffs, for instance I prefer the solo House on Haunted Hill riff to the one with Mike, Bill and Kevin, and OneManBand is in my “guaranteed to be good” category.) Still pretty good, and while I might not recommend this specific riff, I wouldn’t mind checking out other things this riffer has done.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 10:18:19 AM by ithonicfury »