login

Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 334723 times)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #1515 on: July 02, 2013, 08:28:27 PM »
I was thinking "oh please don't be one of our early riffs..." (Which I'm considering pulling because they're not very good) but then I remembered we tend to not shut up :)

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #1516 on: July 02, 2013, 09:20:54 PM »
I was thinking "oh please don't be one of our early riffs..." (Which I'm considering pulling because they're not very good) but then I remembered we tend to not shut up :)

It's nobody here. Trust me, I have enjoyed all the riffs I have bought from all you guys thus far. :) This last one was just "WOW! What the hell was THAT?!!"

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #1517 on: July 02, 2013, 10:03:48 PM »
If it was my iRiff I'd want to hear it and as a potential buyer of iRiffs I also want to know what to pick up and what to pass on.  Especially with the availibility of samples being sparse at best on a lot of the products. 

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #1518 on: July 02, 2013, 11:32:32 PM »
I've had a small sampling of experiences like that.  I don't think it's ever been anyone who comes to the forum, except for one group that put up a free riff of Hackers (can't remember the name of the group now).  They don't come around anymore either now.  Those groups tend to fall away quickly once they get enough feedback.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline mr.b.natural

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 109
  • Mr.B you're hot!
« Reply #1519 on: July 03, 2013, 12:20:35 AM »
Minutes between riff.  Well thank goodness that's definitely not one of mine  ;D .  There are definitely some people who've done iRiffs who just don't have the knack for it.

Yeah, it's nobody here right now. I looked up the guy's profile and he hasn't been active on the board for a couple years.

Whew.  When you complained about the gaps between jokes I thought for sure it was me.   :-[

Offline NosferatusCoffin

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 64
    • Cinemasochism
« Reply #1520 on: July 03, 2013, 06:06:28 AM »
Well, I knew it was not us, since we tend to pack the jokes in pretty tight for the most part. Though less so with the earlier ones, as we would try to let the jokes set themselves up, especially if there was a narrator.

Delivery was a bit flat in our early ones, but the jokes were still pretty good, we felt. Best example of that was "Boys Beware" (our best seller). Delivery was pretty monotone, but also featured some of our darkest material.
Catch us on Cinemamsochism:
http://www.cinemasochism.com/

Catch us on iRiffs:
http://www.rifftrax.com/search/apachesolr_search/cinemasochism

"Diplomats. The best diplomat I know of is a fully loaded phaser bank." - Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1521 on: July 03, 2013, 09:58:42 AM »
Watching an iRiff right now that I think will be the first that I do not like at all. I remember the first (and only) official RiffTrax that I thought was substandard in the extreme, and I'm getting that feeling all over again right now. I'm gonna get through it, because I feel an obligation to watch it to it's conclusion, but I know it's not gonna be pleasant. I'm gonna take the opportunity to learn some lessons in what NOT to do. Here are basically what my problems are:

1) The jokes just aren't funny. Not offensive, just not funny. In fact, some of them probably wouldn't even qualify as "jokes." The riffer doesn't seem to be comedically gifted in the least. And half the jokes have nothing to do with the movie or anything else that's going on.

2) Super long gaps between "jokes," like sometimes even MINUTES in between jokes. The movie is boring enough as it is, but this guy isn't making it any easier to watch, which is one of the principal objectives of riffing movies. He might even be making it worse.

3) The audio file for the riff is awful to the point of being distracting and making the movie WORSE.

Having just recently finished my first riff, it seems to me like this guy did not put any real effort into this. But what the hell do I know, y'know? Maybe he worked his ass off on it, and this just happened to be the best he could do. I don't want to mention names, because then I'd just be a dick, and god knows there's probably tons wrong with my own riff. But it's hard not to be like all "THERE WAS A PERFECT CHANCE FOR A JOKE, RIGHT THERE! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?!"  or "NOT FUNNY, ASSHOLE! YOU'RE NOT FUNNY!" And that isn't constructive, doesn't accomplish anything except hurting feelings and making me look like a dick, so I'm just gonna leave it at what I've already said.
You really should let us know which one it is. This thread is for honest reviews. I too prefer to stay positive here, to encourage people working so hard to make iRiffs. But it is for the people reading so they can know which ones to pick up, or to avoid.
Especially since rating them on their product page doesn't work, and the comments are gone.

Offline Rabbit Ears

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #1522 on: July 03, 2013, 11:00:59 AM »
Well, I certainly know it wasn't us.  Long gaps does not appear to be one of our problems. ;)

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #1523 on: July 03, 2013, 12:38:36 PM »
Okay, fine. Time for full disclosure. But before I go any further, I want to say that everything I've said about this riff up to this point are still valid and I stand by it all.

The riff in question is Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter. The 2009 Aaron J. Bossing riff and NOT MINE! That is important. In fact, the fact that I just riffed this movie myself is a big reason I did not disclose the name of the riff, in addition to the reasons already stated. 1) It would have looked totally unprofessional on my part and could have come off as "Wow, look at how super lame this other riff was. Mine is way better." And even though I DO think mine is better, it isn't my place to say that. It's up to you guys to determine if my riff is better or any good at all. I also wanted to avoid to continue to look like "IT'S ALL ABOUT ME" in the forums. 2) The fact that I felt the 2009 riff was substandard and me pointing it out might damage the credibility of my own riff, people confusing the two and whatnot, which I just worked really hard on.

A couple more things about this riff. I chose not to actually watch this riff after I found out it existed after (I think) Day 1 or Day 2 of my marathon recording sessions. 1) I didn't want to get distracted by it and 2) I wanted my riff to stand on its own merits. In fact, I very seriously considered ditching the riff and going with another movie after I found out a riff already existed for it, because I did not want to disrespect the riffer by attempting to usurp his place in glorious pantheon of iRiffs. But I decided to finish because I figured that both our riffs would stand apart and on their own merits, and that everybody would recognize them as totally different.

After I finished and published my version, I bought the 2009 version, but the file was corrupted and couldn't watch it. I didn't make a big deal out of it as I had only lost out 75 cents. Yesterday, I was searching Amazon to see if there were any good deals on DVDs or Blu-Rays of the movie, and I came across it on Amazon's streaming service and thought "Oh, this is great. I'll check this out right now." And so I rented it, In fact, I went in expecting it to be better than mine. I was actually worried that I would look like a Grade A chump in comparison. As you know, I have concluded that such was not the case.

Am I being objective? I'd like to think so, in fact I believe that I am. However, I am very close to this movie and these characters, so I admit that I possibly simply can't be. That being said, though, I stand by my assessment of that riff as substandard. I'm sure Aaron Bossing is a very nice guy and talented in a lot of ways, but this riff simply was not good and I can't recommend it.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1524 on: July 03, 2013, 01:32:53 PM »
Ah, I see why you hesitated. I don't blame you. I'm glad you let us know, though. Especially since it was an early iRiff, there was a whole slew of bad ones that got eventually filtered out by the groups not doing any more. But now they are in there, and I don't think the dates are correct anymore (anybody confirm this?), so people can't tell.

P.S. Thinking about the early days of iRiffs, anybody know if those wierd Spider-man riffs video things are still around? I remember those pissing off a bunch of people.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #1525 on: July 03, 2013, 01:44:03 PM »
I can understand the reluctance a little more. I've been in that exact position. There have been a couple times I've riffed a movie that someone else riffed awhile back or a riff will be put out in the middle of working on it. I tried to make myself watch them after finishing my script but before recording so I could remove any too similar jokes from my script, but not have the overall work affected. I haven't done that every time though. (There are riffs of Dune and Nemesis that pre date mine and in both cases I couldn't/can't make the time.)

Sometimes you find something good, before I put out Batman, Fireriffs released one. I watched it, found I didn't have any repeat jokes, and had some good laughs. All around a good experience.

Sometimes it is a nightmare, like when I did Masters of the Universe and two guys named Corvis and J Freak put out their own. Listening to that was an endurance trial. An MP3 riff with no intro or syncing instructions or sync lines. It also ran fast, constantly going out of sync, which i could only tell when they talked about something that was going to happen in two minutes. If i didnt know the movie so well, I'd have just been confused. My guess was they downloaded a torrent, and didnt know it was a PAL copy. It was obviously improvised by people who saw half an episode of Who's Line Is It Anyway and thought "we got this".  One of their microphones was too quiet, the other was too loud, and not only did their riff not have any jokes in common, it didn't really have jokes. Most of the track was them just bitching. A common exchange:  "when does something like that ever happen in the cartoon" "it doesn't". Pause for laughter.

I've never picked up any of Aaron J Bossing's riffs, but I remember the name. I think I saw a sample of his and had the same kind of complaints that you did.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #1526 on: July 03, 2013, 01:51:12 PM »
Yeah, I saw the Spider-Man parodies still up awhile ago. I just looked through the listings a couple weeks ago. The only riffs I remember that have been taken down are Isaac's.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #1527 on: July 03, 2013, 02:05:55 PM »
The dates on a bunch of old ones are wrong. I think you're right about that. (I think one or two of mine were off)

iJust am watching 3 really drunk guys at the bar at Cask 'n Flagon attempting to riff The Worlds Strongest Man competition on ESPN Classic. It's a bunch of "look at this guy!" "Dude. We are really funny!" "I know bro!"

Sklar Brothers they are not.

#Henderson

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #1528 on: July 03, 2013, 02:06:47 PM »
Yeah, I saw the Spider-Man parodies still up awhile ago. I just looked through the listings a couple weeks ago. The only riffs I remember that have been taken down are Isaac's.

What is this? Do want to know?

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 201
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #1529 on: July 03, 2013, 02:19:48 PM »
I, too, have been in the same boat.  Three times.

1. While in the midst of recording Terminator: Salvation, Rifftrax released theirs.  I worked very hard to make sure there were no similar jokes, plus released a total of six mp3s, depending on what region and whether you were watching the Theatrical or Unrated cut of the film, and whether you watched the "Stupend-O!" version where I put in additional sketches in the riff itself.  I have since decided the monstrosity of editing that unfolded on this project would ensure I would never combine Rated/Unrated with Stupend-O ever again.  My sales of that one agree with me.

2. While working on Dragonball: Evolution, Quiptracks released theirs.  I listened, compared jokes, and waited a year to release.  Then FourStar came out with theirs.  I am still waiting to see if anyone else jumps in before I finally release...as well as the fact that I've gone through three co-riffers on that project and am in the midst of re-working it to be a solo venture (or not, if one of the co-riffers comes back).

3. Working on my Alien riff, someone I was talking to at the time asked me if I had any jokes similar to the ones in the Kevin & Bill Rifftrax.  I didn't even know it existed.  Again, bought and compared.  Completely different takes, I assure you...plus I have it work on the 1979 and the 2003 release, which was a lot less annoying than Terminator: Salvation.

I try very hard to buy and listen if there are other riffs, both as professional courtesy and because I don't want to repeat jokes.  And I know it happens; I think at least three other versions of Mortal Kombat are floating around out there that came out after mine, and the Harass Bastards did a free improv one that never went up for sale that came out before mine (I didn't count that one above since, with the movie soundtrack in the background it could never be sold, but I still listened for repeat jokes anyway), and I know one other person has done 'The Thing.'  There are plenty of movies out there to riff from, no question, but there are those that just stick in the mind more than others that are just ripe targets for fun, and while I myself feel bad if I get beaten to the punch, I know I am in no ways the 'go-to' person for any of the movies I've done and don't hold it against anyone if they do a movie I've riffed.  If Rifftrax can do Manos again, I think the door is wipe open for anyone to do anything.

But the Spider-Man things make me laugh.  Not the actual shorts, but the fact that you could buy the audio to listen to 'on the go.'  There's something about that sales model that just makes me crack up.

EDIT: The Spider-Man parodies were/are 30 second Youtube clips of the '60s Spider-Man cartoon with odd, ridiculous dubbing.  Since the video could clearly not be sold for copyright reason, the owner was selling the audio only for 99 cents.  99 cents for 30 seconds of incomprehensible audio, and there are about 28 of them.  We will never know the numbers, but odds are they are not top sellers.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 02:23:30 PM by SJP »
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.