login

Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 300130 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5192
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #1500 on: June 09, 2013, 07:38:02 AM »
Looking back on my review of Scrooge, it mostly boiled down to not being impressed with the jokes themselves. I only laughed about three times in the 24 minutes that I got through. So that is more a matter of personal taste, I guess. That, and the long periods of silence occasionally, when you try too hard not to talk over dialog. I didn't notice much of that in the Chandu riff.

Offline latenet

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #1501 on: June 09, 2013, 08:16:53 AM »
Scrooge (1935) by The Ghosts on The Big Brown Couch - Very unimpressed, unfortunately. The vocal performances are decent. And I appreciated having a female riffer. But that's about as positive a statement as I can give.

The riffs themselves were pretty lackluster. I was only able to get through about 24 minutes of the riffing before I turned it off, and I had only laughed maybe two or three times. So far that's only the second riff I've turned off (although this was better than Space Camp).

And it also has periods of long silence between riffs. Trying WAY too hard to adhere to the rule "don't riff over dialog". It's even sillier here, given that we're all familiar with the story, and have even heard a lot of the same dialog in other adaptations.

I have said this before, and I will say it again, you CAN riff over dialog if it is not plot or character dependant enough to get the viewer lost. Yes, there is such a thing as too much talking over dialog. But certainly don't let large patches of the movie go by without a peep from the riffer when the viewer is sitting down with the intent to hear the riffs.

The riffer premise is interesting, I'll give it that. But the odd thing about it is that "3 female ghosts living with a human male roommate" sounds like the setup for a bad, but raunchy, sitcom. Yet this is so squeeky clean. They bleep out "tit", for crying out loud. Who does that? Even Quiptracks will say a hell or a damn once in a while. I don't mind a riff that decides to keep from being blue, but it just...really?

There is an 11 minute animated opening on this one that is not funny either. I won't rip on the animation, given that this is amateurs on the Internet, and I have seen worse. So I'll just say...make it funny next time.

I went through the pages and finally managed to dig up your review. I'll just go through the points one by one:

First, I think you should revisit the riff and watch ALL of it (what the heck; it's already paid for). It picks up around the middle; if you turned it off after 24 minutes that probably means you didn't hear any of the part after the Dori and Becky characters join in. We had a special real-life emergency situation going on with the Scrooge riff; the other two riffers had their home destroyed by Hurricane Sandy. As a result, I had to change the writing so they could riff only the second half of the movie, after they'd moved into their new apartment. That also accounts for some of the longer-than-usual silences (not to make excuses... at least too much); I'm used to writing for four character interaction, and for the first half of the movie I had to write riffs for just the Johnny and Babs characters.

I agree about overly-lengthy silences; they can kill a riff. When we got to Episode 3 we tried to never go more than fifteen seconds without a riff, unless there was something really important in the film that had to be heard. We did additional run-throughs to fill in lengthy pauses. Then when we recorded Episode 4 (which I'm still editing), the writing was tight enough that we didn't even NEED to go back and insert any jokes (if anything, we actually had to cut a few because things were TOO tight).

As far as being "squeaky clean", we have a simple policy; we try to match the content level of the film. For example, our first riff was of HOWLING II: YOUR SISTER IS A WEREWOLF, which has lots of violence, adult language, and nudity. On that one we just let it rip with our riffs, and didn't bleep out anything. Since SCROOGE is a family film, though, we kept our language toned down to a family level (then our next riff, AIR COLLISION, had us flinging around the profanity again, although only when there was a point to it).

By the way, I don't expect for us to be riffing a family film again for a loooooooooong time; it just isn't our thing. But it was Christmas, and we wanted to do something seasonal.

As for the animated intro, again I'd suggest watching the riff all the way through. The animated epilogue has a nice payoff that introduces another character and wraps things up with a dark gag. But I WILL admit that the animation has gotten a little bit better each time, and with Scrooge being the second one... let's just say that AIR COLLISION's was funnier, and the one we're wrapping up right now is also better. And shorter. Because we've definitely learned that shorter is better.

Enjoying your reviews, and eager to hear any more suggestions you have as we go along.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1502 on: June 22, 2013, 02:18:32 PM »
Finally finished (without interruption) Cinester Theater's newest iRiff of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 - As usual for this group, it was very good. Still not my favorite of theirs, but it's better than their riff of the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (which itself was good). The movie doesn't take itself very seriously (ok, that's an understatement), but you can tell that the riffers are having a lot of fun, so there is no feeling of "they aren't in on the joke".
The new guy, Brooks, is okay. His delivery isn't quite as good as Shawn or Keith. But his voice is different enough there is no confusion who is talking.

Yeah, I don't think you can mutate a washer and dryer.

"WHAT?!" "I SAID I LOVE THIS SPY STUFF!"

I could just pour it on them. But it wouldn't be science without tubes.

This is ridiculous. I'm gonna go eat some trash.

COOL! I get a shout out at the end. Thanking me for prodding them occasionally to keep their interest in riffing, which is why they eventually came back. And I have a whole new bunch of pointy objects, so hopefully they should be in business for a loooong time. MWAHAHAHA-ow! That is pointy.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 02:21:54 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline poobah103

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 49
  • Sufficient Springs!
« Reply #1503 on: June 25, 2013, 09:21:17 AM »
Thanks for the review, Darth Geek! Glad you liked it!

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #1504 on: June 25, 2013, 06:59:02 PM »
The new guy, Brooks, is okay. His delivery isn't quite as good as Shawn or Keith. But his voice is different enough there is no confusion who is talking.

New guy?  In addition to, or replacement of?
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1505 on: June 25, 2013, 07:00:20 PM »

New guy?  In addition to, or replacement of?
In addition to.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1506 on: June 30, 2013, 11:22:58 AM »
Watched the Voyager episode Phage riff by Cinester Theater again. Still very good. The episode...is still very stupid. Neelix was already annoying, why go out of your way to give him a reason to be even more annoying? And even if he wasn't, we're only 4 episodes into the series, yet we're supposed to care deeply about him.
I really liked seeing Parish slapped.
They went WAY out of their way to have a pointless "hall of mirrors" distraction.
So apparently in the far advanced future, conservatives are still resisting the use of stem cells. Which would make the growing of new organs possible and eliminate this plot problem entirely.

When did the Swedish Chef join Starfleet? Her de her de dee

Ok, uh...it's a cave...scan finished.

"Kim, come karate chop this rock." "I don't know karate! And my name is Steve."

Captain, will you draw another eyebrow on my face?

Are they in a soundbooth?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1507 on: June 30, 2013, 12:15:51 PM »
Voyager episode Eye of the Needle, by Quiptracks - As always, the riff was awesome.
So this Romulan was a really nice guy and went out of his way to help you, and you just let him die?!

Everything on this ship is pose activated.

I bet the Youtube community is sorely missing my insight.

Man, it must have been a big sale at Jargon Bargain.

Word on the street is that you have been performing some 'illegal operations'.

We were ordered to get lost.

Love the suit, by the way. Lay-Z-Boy, right?

The "it's not chewable" " he chewed it" running gag at the end was awesome.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1508 on: June 30, 2013, 05:38:25 PM »
Return of Chandu part11 by Sinsurround theater - A brand new group! Pretty good for a new riffer, and a solo riffer. Voice work is fine, and variety of voices is impressive for a beginner.
The end bit after the short goes on too long, and doesn't really go anywhere.

This one's for Karloff!

Screw the element of surprise. NO ONE renounces the Chan-meister.

I dub thee Confusistan.

Wow they REALLY milk the lowering of the rock scene. And the skrawny dweeb caught the chain as it was falling and is holding the giant boulder up with ONE HAND?! Bullshit! Utter bullshit, even by this seriel's standards.
So she "renounces Chandu"? I'm pretty sure she never worshipped him in the first place.
Wait...where the hell did theses natives come from? Did I just forget about them?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1509 on: June 30, 2013, 06:22:05 PM »
Return of Chandu part12 by One Man Band and OneWallCinema - Good riffing. I've liked riffs by each of them in the past, and it's no different here. The only issue with their teamup I see here is that the two voices are very similar, it's difficult to tell them apart. Aside from that minor nitpick, a nice way to end this series.

How much Chan can a Chandu do?

Hey, the Lumerian whiffleball team.

LOVED the 'Let the ceremonial music commence' bit!

Bluhline?

Keep up with the tiny sticks. We're nearly through.

I LOOOOVED the "next week on Chandu" joke at the very end!

I love how the natives just run around like kindegardeners. It never stops being funny.
Wait, so the old bearded guy was trapped in the cave for YEARS, but TELEPORTS from one place to another just to scare off some natives?
Why are their TWO princesses being sacrificed now? And he switched them, so apparently it matters. Is one of them made of Folgers Crystals?
So after all of this, he just shoots magic missile at them. And that causes grips to throw plywood at the extras. Huh.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 09:16:31 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #1510 on: July 02, 2013, 07:11:41 PM »
Watching an iRiff right now that I think will be the first that I do not like at all. I remember the first (and only) official RiffTrax that I thought was substandard in the extreme, and I'm getting that feeling all over again right now. I'm gonna get through it, because I feel an obligation to watch it to it's conclusion, but I know it's not gonna be pleasant. I'm gonna take the opportunity to learn some lessons in what NOT to do. Here are basically what my problems are:

1) The jokes just aren't funny. Not offensive, just not funny. In fact, some of them probably wouldn't even qualify as "jokes." The riffer doesn't seem to be comedically gifted in the least. And half the jokes have nothing to do with the movie or anything else that's going on.

2) Super long gaps between "jokes," like sometimes even MINUTES in between jokes. The movie is boring enough as it is, but this guy isn't making it any easier to watch, which is one of the principal objectives of riffing movies. He might even be making it worse.

3) The audio file for the riff is awful to the point of being distracting and making the movie WORSE.

Having just recently finished my first riff, it seems to me like this guy did not put any real effort into this. But what the hell do I know, y'know? Maybe he worked his ass off on it, and this just happened to be the best he could do. I don't want to mention names, because then I'd just be a dick, and god knows there's probably tons wrong with my own riff. But it's hard not to be like all "THERE WAS A PERFECT CHANCE FOR A JOKE, RIGHT THERE! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?!"  or "NOT FUNNY, ASSHOLE! YOU'RE NOT FUNNY!" And that isn't constructive, doesn't accomplish anything except hurting feelings and making me look like a dick, so I'm just gonna leave it at what I've already said.

Offline fireyf

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 162
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
« Reply #1511 on: July 02, 2013, 07:20:23 PM »
Minutes between riff.  Well thank goodness that's definitely not one of mine  ;D .  There are definitely some people who've done iRiffs who just don't have the knack for it.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #1512 on: July 02, 2013, 07:26:26 PM »
Minutes between riff.  Well thank goodness that's definitely not one of mine  ;D .  There are definitely some people who've done iRiffs who just don't have the knack for it.

Yeah, it's nobody here right now. I looked up the guy's profile and he hasn't been active on the board for a couple years.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1513 on: July 02, 2013, 08:13:38 PM »
It's not a riff of Howard the Duck, is it?

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #1514 on: July 02, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
It's not a riff of Howard the Duck, is it?

No. BUT! But, I did recently watch both Ronin Fox's riffs of ST:TMP and Batman, and both were stellar. :) Next on the list: The Dang Incredible Hulk!