Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 305401 times)

Offline fireyf

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 167
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #1485 on: June 04, 2013, 06:35:09 PM »
Speaking of Quiptracks, I just watched Paycheck.  Definitely recommended.  Those guys always deliver.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5296
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1486 on: June 04, 2013, 06:45:57 PM »
Speaking of Quiptracks, I just watched Paycheck.  Definitely recommended.  Those guys always deliver.
Glad you liked it. I helped out on that one. I think I was most proud of the "nanodoves" line.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1487 on: June 05, 2013, 07:27:33 PM »
Return of Chandu part 8 by One Man Riffing Crew - Sadly, the vocal performance here is rather blah. It does improve in the second half, but only sporadically. The writing is decent, and there is no problem with gaps. But even some jokes that I would have liked with a better intonation just didn't make me laugh.
His Bela voice is a terrible impression, but that just made it funny. If that was the intent, kudos.
If it was on it's own I wouldn't recommend it. But as part of the Chandu serial it is merely a low point, worth getting for the set. It is certainly watchable.

You know, I'm starting to wonder if these guys are playing 'red light, green light' with someone off camera.

Must have been a boring night, so they all decided to go clubbing. (A good example of a riff I should have loved. But the flat delivery hurt it.)

The Return of Chandu was filmed in front of a live studio audience.

Wha? Who is Mertle Hines? This is no time to introduce new characters.

I don't care if you have to search every roadhouse, outhouse, henhouse and doghouse in the area. (holy shit, a decent riff in an actually different voice. More of this, please.)

The devolving into crying after the "More like Dragula" riff was done well.

Hey, at least the recap segment is mercifully short this time. Probably because Chandu looked particularly incompetant the whole time in part 7. Who wants to bet he really turns it around in this segment? Anybody? Any bets? No? Smart people.

Bela has spent a good part of his career chewing scenery. But here he acts like the cave walls are going to eat him.

So Bela finds a sub-basement, IN A CAVE? And did he just free Osama Bin Laden?
EDIT: And the old guy says the natives don't keep prisoners long, but then says he's been there for years?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 08:01:15 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline fireyf

• Big Montana
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
« Reply #1488 on: June 05, 2013, 07:28:41 PM »
Just finished Chandu Chapter 10.  Very funny.  The crushing stone parts were well executed.  Thing one and Thing 2, lol.  Why do I not remember that scene from the previous chapters I do not know.  It's possible I fell asleep during that part as even with riffing these chapters are hard to bear.  Now here's something I don't get about this chapter, and the end of the last chapter (one of many things).  In the first chapter Chandu turned himself invisible with his One Ring knock off, so why did he need "the circle of invisibility" in this one?  I mean really?  Did the people who wrote this thing not even read their own scripts?  Anyways, great job by Scott Zee.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1489 on: June 05, 2013, 07:31:37 PM »
Just finished Chandu Chapter 10.  Very funny.  The crushing stone parts were well executed.  Thing one and Thing 2, lol.  Why do I not remember that scene from the previous chapters I do not know.  It's possible I fell asleep during that part as even with riffing these chapters are hard to bear.  Now here's something I don't get about this chapter, and the end of the last chapter (one of many things).  In the first chapter Chandu turned himself invisible with his One Ring knock off, so why did he need "the circle of invisibility" in this one?  I mean really?  Did the people who wrote this thing not even read their own scripts?  Anyways, great job by Scott Zee.
Having just watched part 8, in that one the bad guy (with the Carnac hat) says something about Chandu doesn't have his powers. Not sure why. Maybe he got them wet when the boat sank, I don't know.

Offline fireyf

• Big Montana
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
« Reply #1490 on: June 05, 2013, 07:53:40 PM »
Oh yeah, forgot about that.  It doesn't make sense but at least that explains the invisibility thing.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1491 on: June 05, 2013, 08:27:55 PM »
Return of Chandu part 9 by BEMaven - Decent riff. An odd combination of just okay vocal performance, and really good vocal performance. He seems to do much better when riffing with a put on voice rather than the times when it's just his own.

Copywrited by a cousin of Mr. Mxyzptlk

Campfire girls song as sound effect instead of riff is out of place. Not a bad joke, but would have prefered the riffer to sing it rather than a straight up audio clip.

We have a strange neighbor. He talks to a soccer ball. (Is this a reference to Tom Hanks in Castaway? That was a volleyball.)

"What do you think?" - Yyyou put in too much starter?

I liked the tech support call riff.

Drizzle Drazzle Drozzle Drome. Hide the big ham, so he is not shown.

Oh crap, I threw my back out. Oh, well that's better.

Those King Kong doors again! Way to make your characters feel small and insignificant, director.

So Nadji's been captured so far for, what, three chapters, continuously? WHY?! You just waltzed in and took her the first couple times she was held captive. And I'm pretty sure you could have beaten up these idiot guards the same way even if you had been visible.

Oh for crying out loud, serial, stop teasing us with the prospect of the weinie nephew getting sliced in half! DO IT ALREADY! Oh damnit!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1492 on: June 05, 2013, 09:24:44 PM »
Return of Chandu part 10 by Turkey Shoot - Excellent, as always, from Scott Zee. This guy puts so much enthusiasm and variance in his voice that even a lesser written line will be fun to listen to. I always recommend riffers to listen to his stuff on suggestions for how you can improve your riff performance.
Highly recommended!

This is probably the worst streamer dance I've ever seen!

NOBODY EXPECTS THE...uh, who are these guys?

She weughs a standard ton! Give me a hand here, please!

LOVED the Love Boat pentagram riff!

Pow! Oh, God I, I actually hit the guy. Oh shit, now I did it. Now he's mad! Oh jeez!

They're great. (Awesome riff!)

Ah, we're close. Five minute break!

Wait, so fully 8 MINUTES of this 20 minute segment is the recap of the previous episode?! Are you fucking shitting me?! That itself was only 16 minutes long anyway! And is that...is the whole thing a clip show? *slams head repeatedly against wall* Oh, wait, either there is something different happening or my head banging has switched the chanels. Hmmm, this seems to be the Flinstones episodes where Barney invents the Iron Maiden.

So why exactly is the cult leader showing Chandu all the times he's beaten them like punks? Is he trying to RAISE Chandu's confidence?

Speaking of why are you showing this, it's probably not a good idea to have closeups of your silly looking paper mache cat statue.

Why do these idiots keep trying to kill people slowly? It's not like they are trying to interrogate them for information or anything (you know, maybe find out the secret to INVISIBILITY that Chandu knows). Can't we get a villain that says "Revenge is a dish best served...RIGHT NOW!" *blam!*

Offline AdamCerious

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 47
  • Dohhhh ho ho ho ho!
    • Cerious Software
« Reply #1493 on: June 05, 2013, 11:17:37 PM »
Thanks for the honesty, Darth. I did try to vary my voice more than in the past, but I guess I'm still too... reserved? I'm naturally shy and my voice still cracks when I get loud even though I'm #$%@ thirty years old. My attempt at a Lugosi impression was me trying to do what I've been advised before and do more characters' voices. Of course, I IMMEDIATELY realized how terrible it was- but then I figured that a horrible impression was at least kinda funny and went with it. My Nadji voice was much better, I agree- then again my normal voice isn't very low to begin with, nor can I get it much lower. Would it be kosher to digitally lower it in future riffs?

Edit: I had an alternative "clubbing" riff- it was done speaking as one of the tunnel henchmen, and went something like "Hey guys, when I said it was a dull night and we should go clubbing this isn't what I meant". Guess I should've gone with that one! :P
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:21:29 PM by AdamCerious »

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 454
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #1494 on: June 06, 2013, 09:15:03 AM »
I'm not good at reviews, but Quiptracks' Godzilla was excellent. I had only watched their VOD and Airbender riffs, and they both impressed me, so I've been meaning to watch more. Glad I finally did. Had a few set backs with the reauthor though. First, there was no text file for this one, so I had to figure out how much to cut off the beginning on my own. Then my first burn messed up around the 1:45 mark, so I had to re-burn at a lower rate just to watch the last half hour.

As per usual, I don't remember many specific lines, but the "Bell hop of one" line tickled me just right.
Tried any more Quiptracks lately? I highly recommend the riff of HULK.

I've been pretty busy with work (someone went on vacation at my day job so I ended up with a lot more hours last week) so not yet. However, I'm on day-vacation next week, so I plan on re-authoring Signs and probably the two Jurassic Park riffs, since I have all those DVDs around here.

Fun fact: Godzilla is the oldest QuipTrack still sold. I did write that Readme, by the way... Anyway, I notice you plan on burning "two" Jurassic Park riffs; since the Lost World riff is not currently being sold, I have to ask if you already had the files? And, if so, you should make sure you have the 5th Anniversary Ed. of the Jurassic Park QuipTrack.

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #1495 on: June 06, 2013, 11:54:22 AM »
I'm not good at reviews, but Quiptracks' Godzilla was excellent. I had only watched their VOD and Airbender riffs, and they both impressed me, so I've been meaning to watch more. Glad I finally did. Had a few set backs with the reauthor though. First, there was no text file for this one, so I had to figure out how much to cut off the beginning on my own. Then my first burn messed up around the 1:45 mark, so I had to re-burn at a lower rate just to watch the last half hour.

As per usual, I don't remember many specific lines, but the "Bell hop of one" line tickled me just right.
Tried any more Quiptracks lately? I highly recommend the riff of HULK.

I've been pretty busy with work (someone went on vacation at my day job so I ended up with a lot more hours last week) so not yet. However, I'm on day-vacation next week, so I plan on re-authoring Signs and probably the two Jurassic Park riffs, since I have all those DVDs around here.

Fun fact: Godzilla is the oldest QuipTrack still sold. I did write that Readme, by the way... Anyway, I notice you plan on burning "two" Jurassic Park riffs; since the Lost World riff is not currently being sold, I have to ask if you already had the files? And, if so, you should make sure you have the 5th Anniversary Ed. of the Jurassic Park QuipTrack.
I believe I already had the Lost World file. And yes, I do have the 5th anniversary edition of Jurassic Park.

Offline Scott_Zee

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 68
« Reply #1496 on: June 06, 2013, 08:56:51 PM »
Actually that clip comes from 'Chandu the Magician', where Bela doesnt even play Chandu. Why he's shown the flashback is beyond me. It has zilcho to do with the following serial.   

Offline BEMaven

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 15
    • Fools Gold Comics
« Reply #1497 on: June 07, 2013, 10:01:11 AM »
Return of Chandu part 9 by BEMaven - Decent riff. An odd combination of just okay vocal performance, and really good vocal performance. He seems to do much better when riffing with a put on voice rather than the times when it's just his own.

Thanks for the input, Darth. I'm not really sure what to do about my performance voice.  My normal recorded voice reminds me of some weasel-like character from an old gangster film.  I prefer writing riffs to speaking them.

In Castaway, Tom Hanks talked to a volleyball... not a soccer ball?  Heck.  The one fact I didn't bother to check before recording.

They broke the mold WHILE they were making me.

Offline Ralph64

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 6
  • Raising awareness about Man Ray since 2010.
    • ralphandrick.com
« Reply #1498 on: June 08, 2013, 09:23:51 PM »
[ This was a mean-spirited post and I'm sorry I sent it. ]

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 05:21:59 PM by Ralph64 »

Offline latenet

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #1499 on: June 09, 2013, 07:27:10 AM »
Return of Chandu part 7 by The Ghosts on the Big Brown Couch - Wow, what an improvement to their last riff I watched of theirs.

Funny across the board! I was nervous about this one, since I hadn't liked their Scrooge riff. I didn't want the streak of good riffs on this serial to be broken, and I don't really like posting negative things on this forum thread.

I am curious, people who have watched more of TGOTBBC riffs, are their others more like this one?

Good vocal performance all aroud. I really like the amount of interaction between the riffers here.

The animated segments before and after are better than the ones in Scrooge. But they still seem rather superfluous and aren't particularly funny. Considering the time it takes to make animation (even flash animation), I'm surprised they went to such effort. That being said, I do appreaciate the effort, and I really like that it makes this group stand out and unique in some way.

I'm glad you liked our Chandu entry.

We're always looking for criticism, so is there anything specific you can highlight as far as why you didn't enjoy the Scrooge riff as much? Any feedback gives us a chance to fine tune the material.

As far as the animation, yeah, we do that as a way to try to individualize ourselves. In the first episode (Howling II) it was a bit long (mainly because we had to introduce each character, but I'm also told there was too much walking around), and in each show since we've tried to tighten it up a bit. But we like the idea of there being a quick wraparound, a little continuing story for the riffers.

Oh, and I know we're not the most objective people in the world to answer your question, but in our opinion, so far Episode 3: Air Collision has been our strongest riff. Good jokes, and the movie gave us plenty of material. It's just a shame it had to be an audio track riff (you know, since the movie isn't in the public domain); the Video On Demand files seem to be more popular. But we plan to alternate between audio and VOD, and that was just the luck of the draw.