Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 334692 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #1275 on: August 26, 2012, 04:39:39 PM »
The only ones I know of are this, Phantom Empire and Voyager.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 201
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #1276 on: August 26, 2012, 05:18:09 PM »
I think at one time there may have been some Spider-Man ones as well, but they were for listening to On the Go.   ;D

It's always fun watching the write-ups, but if I remember the Lost City project was started as a "tune in next week" process, where the riffers would only have a week to get the thing together and put it out, and I do remember there being an issue with one of them not getting out on time.  Of course, what I do remember being one of the biggest issues was Raven's computer crashing shortly before episode 12, which was originally supposed to be his episode, and I volunteered to step in...what, 6 months, a year after the fact?  So, on the one hand, I had the advantage of not having a deadline to work on...on the other, I had to follow Josh Way, who's always a tough act to follow, no matter how recent the project is.

Still, it was fun, and the crossover projects are always enjoyable to listen to and participate in.

EDIT: Oh, and almost forgot...there's actually an Easter egg hidden in the ending of Chapter 12, and I had offered the first three to PM me a free riff of their choice, now or in the future.  Far as I know, only one person ever responded (and got it right).  Don't think I ever had a "PM entry by" date, so it's still open.  I'd proclaim this a shameless plug, but if it didn't work then, probably wouldn't help now...

And I do agree about the Harass Bastards completely.  It's not a style for everyone, to be sure, but I really did think they were funny.  Their Mortal Kombat improv track was good fun, though I don't think they could ever sell it because you can hear the movie audio in the background. Made it easy to sync up, though.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 05:25:06 PM by SJP »
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #1277 on: August 26, 2012, 07:40:58 PM »
It was cool seeing these reviews, I looked back on my chapter a month or two ago for the first time in awhile and had a lot of fun with it.  I need to watch the whole thing again from start to finish myself sometime.

I've been meaning to do that myself, but I just never have gotten around to making a synced up version of episode 2, since it lacked any kind of sync notification and such. I never did see the last part (though I did buy it).

Nice to see mine was enjoyed (the Dark Matter Productions one) though I'm out of the riffing game now... got my hands too full making comics.

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #1278 on: August 27, 2012, 04:21:03 PM »
The Lost City Chapter 5 by Cap'n Steve-O's Old Style Goodtime FunTrack Factory - Oh wow, is this a great find! A whole new iRiffer I hadn't even heard about, and he sure is spectacular. Good vocal performance, plenty of energy and fun, and great joke density. Looks like he hasn't done much else other than this, but I will definitely check out what little he has.

Wow, thank you for the fantastic review, DG!  You are clearly a gentleman and a scholar of some refinement.

It is sadly true that I haven't put out very many solo riffs.  Life and stuff, you know?  In fact, my only other solo release is my Christmas shorts bundle, which you can find here if you're interested.

I did manage to find the time to perform on a couple of other riffs.  I believe you've already seen the Incomparable Podcast's episode of "The Phantom Empire".  I also was a guest riffer and writer on The Movie Asylum's "Halloween II" riff, which I think turned out pretty great and is well worth checking out.

I also did a crapload of writing on almost all of the Riff Raff Theater releases, as well as the RiffTrax Presents of "The Day After Tomorrow" (hours of fun to be had trying to guess which 15 minutes of the movie I was assigned to write) and the 2009 Christmas Shorts live show.

So I'm not really the one-riff wonder I might appear to be, though I freely admit I should get off my tuckus at some point and put out something new.

Anyhoo, thanks again for the kind words.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1279 on: August 28, 2012, 08:34:44 PM »
Watched Hor-Riff-ic Production's Friday the 13th Part 5 riff again. So funny. I love it how this series of riffs have been accumulating running gags, like lanterns, as it goes along. Not to mention all the great riff fodder of the honor system rehabilitation center. Really, the big thing with this movie being that it *spoiler* wasn't really Jason, isn't what makes this a bad movie, and it is enjoyable like a lot of the other bad Friday the 13th movies. It would be pretty easy to do a fan edit of this eliminating that twist, and I wouldn't doubt there probably are some out there.

Still, great riff. And I am glad Hor-Riff-ic is back in business working on their next one.

SUUURGE!

Hey Gordan. That's my dog Gordan. This is a picture of my dog Gordan.

THE FUCK YOU LOOKIN' AT?! I'M BUILDIN' A BIRD HOUSE!

I didn't know those came in semen flavored.

Ok everybody. Crack your stupid butt jokes.

Ah yes, the Friday the 13th obligitory poo scene.

If anyone can get us out of this sticky situation, it's PAM!

Where are they going? Where else would they be going? They're running AIMLESSLY INTO THE WOODS!

Offline Riffman for Hire

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 98
  • I'm in the riffing business.
« Reply #1280 on: August 30, 2012, 01:31:41 PM »
I just watched the Raw Deal iriff from MattTrax.  Three point five out of five stars.

The riff turned out to be a lot of funnier than I thought it would be.  Matt Blackwell has a nice, laid-back voice, which is good for sardonic comments.  What he might lack in emotion, he more than makes up for with his drollery.  I would've given this riff four stars except for one big problem.  At the part around where Arnie barely manages to blurt out, "He molested, murdered and mutilated a young girl", the riff became wildly out of sync.  For a while there I thought it would become totally out of sync, but thankfully it got back on track after the next sync line, so there wasn't too much damage done.

One of my criticisms is that the riff did have a lot of dead air and could’ve used more jokes.  Also it felt a bit rough in the audio department and there was a good dealing of hissing and background noise.  A few of the lines felt like they were spoken too off the cuff and he stumbled in some parts.  A bit more rehearsal could’ve smoothed them out, IMHO.  The timing on a few jokes seemed too early or too late as well.

Otherwise, it was a good listen.  Matt had a number of keen barbs about the film, especially concerning its 80’s setting and the poor marksmanship of the villains.  Unlike a number of people, I actually like Raw Deal and can’t understand the hate for it.  So I was the perfect audience for this riff (And I believe there are far worse Arnie films than this one, e.g., Batman & Robin, Conan the Destroyer, Jingle All the Way, etc.).

If you are a fan of Arnie films or you just like riffs on action films, then I’d suggest checking it out.

Some of my favorite lines:

You know, if you need a sniper rifle from twenty feet away, you might just wanna consider going to Lenscrafters.

“Dino De Laurentiis presents.”  Ah, words that have terrified many a filmgoer.

Not faking my death, repeat, not faking my death.

(Bus full of guns) Nah, that can’t be a public school.  They’re too lightly armed…

“Joey P. Brenner.”  Whoa!  Nice Blossom/Joey Lawrence reference.

Forced urination.  America’s newest menace.

(Bullet resistant logo on car) Eh, eh, Arnie, maybe if you shot at the car rather than at those letters it would be better.

“Get the son of a bitch!” But who?  That would describe ninety-five percent of Chicago.

Offline fireyf

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 179
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
« Reply #1281 on: August 31, 2012, 12:07:18 PM »
Just watched Cinester Theater's Total Recall.  I saw it when it first came out and it's still hilarious.  Man I miss those guys.  I hope they are able to come back some day.  I would love to see them riff the remake of this movie.  We miss you Sean and Keith, wherever you are.

Offline Riffman for Hire

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 98
  • I'm in the riffing business.
« Reply #1282 on: August 31, 2012, 12:15:21 PM »
Just watched Cinester Theater's Total Recall.  I saw it when it first came out and it's still hilarious.  Man I miss those guys.  I hope they are able to come back some day.  I would love to see them riff the remake of this movie.  We miss you Sean and Keith, wherever you are.

Yeah, that was a great riff and I would also love it if they slammed the remake (that piece of crap certainly deserves it).  Unfortunately it seems less likely that they're coming back any time soon--if ever.  I hope I'm wrong, though.  There are so many terrible recent films I'd love to see them riff (The Hunger Games in particular comes to mind).

Offline wherethefishlives

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 65
  • Toddlers be trippin'!
« Reply #1283 on: September 02, 2012, 04:25:40 PM »
I'll have another riff up by the end of the month (most likely).

Well, THIS was a big fat lie.  But I should definitely have a new riff up by the end of September (because that's when the thing that I'm riffing premieres).  MYSTERIOUS!

(I know this kind of crap goes in the "What are you working on" thread, but I didn't actually say what I was working on.  So you see, I'VE BEATEN THE SYSTEM!)

Offline pezdrake

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #1284 on: September 03, 2012, 03:22:13 PM »
And on to The Lost City Chapter 2 by Riff Chick - Hey, a female riffer! Cool. I always like the inclusion of women in this admittedly rather niche market of ours. Of course, that matters more when it is multiple riffers, a man and a woman for example, you can better tell which is which, and it gives variety in voices.
I can't seem to find Riff Chick's profile page on the iRiffs section, as it is still messed up. But it doesn't look like she's done anything else. If she has, let me know. She definitely has promise.

When I first came up with the idea of an iRiffs crossover I decided to just contact people directly that I thought were funny.  If you recall it was kind of a Wild West of riffers here at the beginning with lots of people trying to sell because they thought they could make a bunch of money and that it would be easy.  Most of those people did not end up being long term riffers.  I didn't want the project to be open to anyone who came along so I was kind of selective. 
Back before iRiffs when there was just a bunch of people posting home made riffs to Youtube I became a fan of RiffChick so I asked her to participate.  She's hilarious, I wish she would do more here. You can find some of her older riffs of educational shorts on Youtube.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1285 on: September 03, 2012, 08:53:08 PM »
Turkey Shoot riff of Spooks Run Wild. Scott Zee is always really great. But man, are these East Side Kids painfully unfunny.

Yeah, don't bother with the blessed iron. "Plenty tough" verses "demonic immortal". That's really going to go the distance, isn't it?

Oh no, that would be terrible if a barreling train just came along and turned you all into human antipasto. And we all wouldn't want that, now would we? No.

Whem we shoot the first one in the head, that'll be your signal to just go nuts.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1286 on: September 05, 2012, 05:38:43 PM »
Watched the rest of the Toast and Rice riff of How To Keep A Job. I liked it. This was a single riffer, so there wasn't a lot of variety in the voices. Enthusiasm was okay. For a ten minute short, it was good riffing. Not stuffed with riff density, but no noticable lags either. Since it was short, it went well. I think his performance would seem a little dull in a feature length though.

The short itself was kind of silly on how this interviewer would just go off on a tanjential partially made up story just to teach amoral to a kid that he clearly had no intention of hiring. But the lesson wasn't too over the top, just about taking your job seriously and not loafing off during work hours. Pretty harmless, really.

Woh! I wonder if the projectionist got to keep his job?

Because you're a tool

He's flipping off his own other hand.

"Did I tell you about my twin brother?" --- He has my name, face, Social Security Number. And his picture's up at the Post Office because he steals things.

Offline mikelesq

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 73
    • toastandrice.com
« Reply #1287 on: September 06, 2012, 05:21:31 PM »
Watched the rest of the Toast and Rice riff of How To Keep A Job. I liked it.

Thanks.  Glad you liked it.

I think his performance would seem a little dull in a feature length though.

That's fair.  I think this was my fourth riff, and I got a lot of feedback that I wasn't varying my delivery.  I've been putting up stuff on my youtube channel for promotion, and I've been using my older riffs since they've sold pretty much as many copies as they're going to, but that does mean that they're the ones I did when I was first starting out.

Thanks for the feedback.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #1288 on: September 06, 2012, 06:58:36 PM »
Just so you know, mikelesq, your "Gardening" and "Santa & the Fairy Snow Queen" are among my all-time favorite iRiff shorts. So there ya go.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1289 on: September 06, 2012, 08:29:23 PM »
Just so you know, mikelesq, your "Gardening" and "Santa & the Fairy Snow Queen" are among my all-time favorite iRiff shorts. So there ya go.

Hmmm...maybe I'll check them out this weekend.