login

Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 334460 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #1200 on: July 11, 2012, 08:20:47 PM »
Riffman, I haven't seen OMB's The Thing, but if I had to pick one to watch with the idea of giving him another shot, I'd point you towards Ice Pirates. I think it's his best work. Of course, I love SJP's stuff, so there might just be a humor subjectivity disconnect here, but maybe give it one more shot before you give up on him entirely.
That reminds me, I got the DVD for Ice Pirates a while ago for the riff. I will try to get around to it this weekend.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1201 on: July 11, 2012, 08:22:40 PM »
Hopefully some of you have been enjoying my sojurn through the Voyager riffs. Any idea on what iRiffs I should tackle next?

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #1202 on: July 11, 2012, 08:48:50 PM »
I myself would recommend both of his Mortal Kombat riffs. Did he do the Planet of the Apes one too, or was that someone else?

Offline mr.b.natural

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 109
  • Mr.B you're hot!
« Reply #1203 on: July 11, 2012, 08:58:47 PM »
Hopefully some of you have been enjoying my sojurn through the Voyager riffs. Any idea on what iRiffs I should tackle next?

A while back you said you wanted to try my "THEM!" iRiff and all of my other riffs are convenient VODs. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1204 on: July 11, 2012, 08:59:52 PM »

A while back you said you wanted to try my "THEM!" iRiff and all of my other riffs are convenient VODs. 
Oh yeah. Thanks for the reminder.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 201
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #1205 on: July 12, 2012, 01:14:05 PM »
I myself would recommend both of his Mortal Kombat riffs. Did he do the Planet of the Apes one too, or was that someone else?

No, no Planet of the Apes for me.  I know I've seen that up on the iRiffs site, but I don't know who did it.

But as for the critique from Riffman for Hire, I just wanted to say thanks for an honest review, and to let you know I've been wounded deeply and will soon be throwing myself bodily from the highest tower.   ;)  Nah, I just gave Jurassic Park: The Game a savaging.  If I couldn't take it, I certainly wouldn't dish it out.

Not in defense of anything I've done (I'm pretty much happy with my riffs except for maybe a joke or two here and there), but I did want to say the "dry" sound I do is deliberate, both from a style thing and a technical perspective.  My mic, no matter how high or low I put the recording volume, has a different "blow-out" level than my recording software...if I do anything even close to yelling, I have to regulate it heavily or else it sounds like I'm talking into an oil drum.  Also, my personal favorite MST moments were always the sort of dry, quiet moments that just sort of sounded conversational as opposed to when somebody would start launching into something for a two minute rant (usually Crow).  Not to say I don't like that stuff, but I always just found myself laughing more at those kinds of quiet observations.  Believe me, even if I don't sound that way, I do have emotional investmest...I think Legion and Hackers are the two worst movies I've had the 'pleasure' to sit through, and I think it shows in the jokes I pick.

But if you don't like the PPD-3200, sorry to say he's been a staple from Ice Pirates onwards.  My first four riffs are computer-voice free (as well as the crossover one I did for Underworld 3, if I'm remembering correctly), including the first Mortal Kombat, which people seem to like, but he started off as my attempt to do a sync voice because the method I had been using wasn't working.  When I realized how to fix that problem, I decided to stick with it and PPD became a sort of sidekick character that I just enjoy writing skits for.  With two exceptions (Lion King 2 and Alien) he's NEVER 'in the theater,' and even those two instances are very limited, so if you watched the versions without the Stupend-O skits you can skip him almost entirely.  But then, that's also why I throw in a lot of jokes...with no one to bounce off of, I feel obligated to make sure I have very little dead air.  I try not to talk over dialogue as much as possible, unless it's just really, really unimportant.  I will say, though, that while I do some tweaking in the editing process to line stuff up better, 90% of it is done in real time, so the spaces I have between jokes is legitimate and not me cramming it in after the fact.

But hey, I do this to put out there what I think is funny, and you can't please everybody, and I understand that completely.  There are riffers I really like on here that I never see anyone review, and there are a couple I see get high praise that I just don't understand at all.  But I do put a lot of effort into sound leveling and audio processing, and I do thank you for liking that aspect, at least.

On my own personal recommendation, though, if you do decide to give me another chance down the road, it's not a high seller (and it doesn't get a whole lot of attention since the DVD is only available in a cheap, pre-anamorphic widescreen transfer) but I still really like my first one, American Werewolf in Paris, an awful lot.  It still has a lot of jokes in it, and probably has some more glaring audio deficiencies since I hadn't worked out my recording methods by that point, but there's a lot of jokes I'm still happy with.  Plus, there's no real skits to speak of, so it starts and ends quickly.

EDIT: Oh, and I do have a few mr.b and Atomic Treatment crossovers I've been meaning to get to myself, so I should be reviewing those sometime soon.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #1206 on: July 12, 2012, 03:07:52 PM »
I particularly enjoyed a bunch of the riffs that SJP submitted for our riffs.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #1207 on: July 14, 2012, 10:25:49 AM »
SJP: I cant read your posts without screaming in my head "JUST RELEASE DRAGONBALL ALREADY!" I mean, I'm barely even familiar with your work, but it's just been way too long!

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 201
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #1208 on: July 14, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
I actually now have two weeks almost completely free to work on it.  In fact, I'm also planning to film my extra bits for Atom Age Vampire and work on the '81 Clash of the Titans as well, so I'll probably have a bunch of stuff coming out in short order.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1209 on: July 14, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »

Unfortunately the THEM riff is not on Youtube anymore. So I got the riff mp3, but I will have to wait till the DVD comes from Netflix.

Offline mr.b.natural

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 109
  • Mr.B you're hot!
« Reply #1210 on: July 14, 2012, 06:23:57 PM »

Unfortunately the THEM riff is not on Youtube anymore. So I got the riff mp3, but I will have to wait till the DVD comes from Netflix.

Yeah, YouTube's automatic video scanners decided my uploads violated Warner Bros.' copyright.  It was very disappointing and when I tried to appeal they gave me strikes against my account.  Jerks.  The videos there were perfectly synced too.  Thanks to the very generous and talented Piobman the instructions I give during the riff for sync up should work but I have no sync lines.  Sorry.     

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1211 on: July 14, 2012, 08:55:57 PM »
Ice on Mars riff of Day of the Triffids - A 1962 movie about killer plants. Given the inherantly goofy premis, this is a surprisingly good movie. Not great, and it has odd pacing issues, particularly in the seemingly unrelated bits of the bitter couple in the lighthouse. You can tell the original story wasn't exactly action packed, and they had to improvise for the movie.
  The notion of nearly everyone in the world becoming blind is terrifying, and the scenes of the effects of this are effective. At least they are, until about forty minutes in when that whole thing is dropped like used napkin, and not even brought up at all at the end.
The creature effects are pretty good, especially for the early 60s (at least, mostly at the beginning). It's the ending, though. First, they discover that fire works pretty well against plants. Who would have thunkit. Then, we sicover that seawater dissolves them like alka-seltzer. Yes folks, this is likely where Signs got it's ending. Yeesh.

There is a short at the beginning of this School for Ted. Not as ludicrous as some other shorts we've seen. Pretty boilerplate conformaty stuff.

Riffing by Ice on Mars is good, as usual. They don't go very blue here, unlike some of their other riffs *cough*Lizzie McGuire*cough*. This isn't their best (that would be Lizzie McGuire or Karate Kid), but I would recommend it.

This must be a advanced placement class. We didn't get into voodoo until 7th grade.

I loved all the riffs about the security guard taking various drugs.

Oh, check this out, he's going to be invisible.

And the Oscar for best sounds editing goes to...

God I hope there's a Trifid driving that car. It's either that or a couple dozen clowns.

Meanwhile, Crakoa the living island wakes up with some healthy morning wood.

From Hell's heart I wuss at thee.

Now the warden isn't your biggest problem. Your biggest problem is Big Anne. She big.

We've got to work fast. That brass orchestra will be here any moment.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #1212 on: July 14, 2012, 09:03:47 PM »
Yeah, YouTube's automatic video scanners decided my uploads violated Warner Bros.' copyright.  It was very disappointing and when I tried to appeal they gave me strikes against my account.  Jerks.  The videos there were perfectly synced too.  Thanks to the very generous and talented Piobman the instructions I give during the riff for sync up should work but I have no sync lines.  Sorry.     

Ugh. I hate YouTube. You could try DailyMotion. They haven't taken down our stuff yet.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1213 on: July 15, 2012, 06:23:56 AM »
Would Blip work? I know that a lot of the movie reviewers I watch (like the That Guy With The Glasses group) use it.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #1214 on: July 15, 2012, 08:25:55 AM »
Would Blip work? I know that a lot of the movie reviewers I watch (like the That Guy With The Glasses group) use it.

I looked at that, and it seemed more geared toward web series, but I don't know if they would actually have a problem with you hosting something different.