login

Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 307003 times)

Offline Ralph64

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 6
  • Raising awareness about Man Ray since 2010.
    • ralphandrick.com
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #1440 on: April 22, 2013, 10:02:27 PM »
Darth Geek, thank you. Thank you for your tireless efforts in reviewing iRiffs and providing your opinion for everyone.

Thank you for purchasing all of our riffs and setting aside time to provide your insights, sometimes on the same day as your viewing. That is dedication.

But, come on buddy, credit where credit is due:

"The 'dancing girl' looks (and dances) like a spray tanned Andrea Martin (the gawky woman on SCTV). *shudder*" In fact, she was portrayed by April Armbrister (uncredited) as was pointed out by Ralph in his riff: "WE'LL GET MY SISTER APRIL TO BE THE INDIAN DANCER... BIT OF SHOE POLISH, SHE'LL BE PERFECT"

"For some reason at one point Bela holds a pen really wierd to sign a check. Between his middle finger and ring finger. Not sure why." And you noticed it because Rick riffed: "THAT'S HOW YOU HOLD A PEN?! I'VE BEEN DOING IT WRONG MY WHOLE LIFE!"

"I didn't think anything would top the goofy robes with the cute kittens on them, but damnit they did! At one point the head cultist is wearing a Cat In The Hat hat." RALPH: "PEE WEE HERMAN ~IS~ THE CAT IN THE HAT"

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5311
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1441 on: April 23, 2013, 09:21:03 AM »
I didn't say you did not reference those things.

Offline rrrus

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 1
  • Sup?
« Reply #1442 on: April 23, 2013, 09:38:47 AM »
I find it amazing how difficult it is to hear what people are saying in this serial, even with NO BACKGROUND MUSIC!

i spent a bunch of time eq-ing the movie soundtrack for our short to address that, tho there isn't a lot to work with in the source material.  Also, at one point in pt 3, i turned off the eq-ing because we had a joke about how unintelligible the lines were.  Also, there was that spot towards the end where the guy yells something and there is no recording of it at all.  Just silence.  So, we bleeped it out.

Ralph & Rick (& Ralph), I liked that you guys panned each other a bit to the left and right in the commentary track, gives me much more of a sense of sitting with you while you riff.  Mind if Swizzlebeef uses that?

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:45:45 AM by rrrus »
"Kids Will Do Anything For Swizzlebeef."

Offline Ralph64

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 6
  • Raising awareness about Man Ray since 2010.
    • ralphandrick.com
« Reply #1443 on: April 23, 2013, 10:33:04 AM »
Ralph & Rick (& Ralph), I liked that you guys panned each other a bit to the left and right in the commentary track, gives me much more of a sense of sitting with you while you riff.  Mind if Swizzlebeef uses that?

Feel free! But be careful not to pan too wide; those listening on cheap computer speakers may lose someone if a speaker is blown out!

Offline AdamCerious

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 47
  • Dohhhh ho ho ho ho!
    • Cerious Software
« Reply #1444 on: April 23, 2013, 11:47:32 AM »
DG's reviews are making me nervous about my performance/ability. :-[

Offline Rabbit Ears

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #1445 on: April 23, 2013, 12:39:45 PM »
So wait...the bleep out was because the original actually had no sound?  I LOVED that!  I thought it was on purpose.  That was seriously amazing. :)  We also got a HUGE kick out of the "Cat in the Hat Hat" bit. :) 

Darth - We have a couple of Carnac jokes in episode 6...so you'll have something to look forward to. :)

Offline AdamCerious

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Dohhhh ho ho ho ho!
    • Cerious Software
« Reply #1446 on: April 23, 2013, 06:11:49 PM »
So wait...the bleep out was because the original actually had no sound?  I LOVED that!  I thought it was on purpose.  That was seriously amazing. :)  We also got a HUGE kick out of the "Cat in the Hat Hat" bit. :) 

Darth - We have a couple of Carnac jokes in episode 6...so you'll have something to look forward to. :)
Damn it! *erases joke*

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1447 on: April 23, 2013, 06:18:17 PM »
So wait...the bleep out was because the original actually had no sound?  I LOVED that!  I thought it was on purpose. 
Yeah, I loved that bit too. I had no idea it was because of a sound issue. That's a neat way to use such an event.

Offline Rick (of Ralph and)

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 10
  • Where does the time go?
    • Ralph and Rick resent...
« Reply #1448 on: April 23, 2013, 07:15:57 PM »
Thanks for the review, Darth. I know that people buy our stuff, but I sometimes wonder if anyone watches it! And although criticism isn't always pleasant, it's interesting to know what doesn't work as well as what does.

As for being hit-and-miss, Ralph and I made a couple of conscious decisions early on (as opposed to all the unconscious ones we've made) that may have contributed to that. First, we don't target our jokes to any particular audience. Depending on the situation, we'll use an obscure literary reference or a crude bodily noise or some combination of the two, knowing that not every listener will appreciate the humor but hoping that at least one will. We'd rather have something for everybody than everything for somebody and nothing for everybody else. Second, we abhor silence or - even worse - long stretches of unriffed original dialog. So - and let's just keep this between you and me, Darth - we'll occasionally include something that even we don't think is A-level material, figuring that a joke that may moderately amuse someone is better than Bela and Maria droning on unintelligibly about something we all saw in the previous episode, or 20 seconds of nothing happening at all. In fact, the "I am so white" song is an example of pure, unadulterated filler created out of desperation. Glad you liked it! Finally, we also try to vary our delivery. That may mean some riffs won't have the same energy as others, but I'd rather err on that side than project everything at the same level, which I feel gets monotonous quickly.

I hope that all didn't come across as too defensive. Although I don't think we'll be doing any more iRiffs for a while, I do plan to do more writing in a comedic vein, so I welcome the feedback. I thought you might appreciate some feedback on your feedback, because who doesn't love a feedback loop? And I won't even try to defend our Bela Lugosi impressions. We know we suck. Bluh.

Offline giantpez

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 23
    • Team Swizzlebeef
« Reply #1449 on: April 23, 2013, 10:15:42 PM »
weJust finished watching chapter 4 of CHANDUUU. Team Swizzlebeef's favorite chapter so far (also chapter 3, buy it now everyone, no reason!) Nice work Rick and Ralph.
"A Different Kind Of Company. A Different Kind Of Swizzlebeef."

Offline Rabbit Ears

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #1450 on: April 24, 2013, 09:16:29 AM »

[/quote]
Damn it! *erases joke*
[/quote]

Nah!  The more the merrier! :)

Offline AdamCerious

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Dohhhh ho ho ho ho!
    • Cerious Software
« Reply #1451 on: April 24, 2013, 11:04:24 AM »
No, it's okay. I'm buying everyone's riffs both for entertainment and to make sure I don't do any joke retreading. I thought of a better line than what I had initially written down, anyway. :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:06:15 AM by AdamCerious »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1452 on: April 26, 2013, 06:56:31 PM »
Isle of Rangoon's riff of short As The Wheel Turns - I love these guys. Their riffing is solid, and the characters' personalities are well done, adding a lot to it. The inclusion of "host segment" like bits before and after is fun and well done. Remeniscent of MST3K without being a blatant ripoff. And I'm a sucker for puppets, which are done well here. My favorite riff of theirs is Torchy The Battery Boy, that one is HIGHLY recommended.

Really enjoyed this riff. The short is gold, what with the guy prosthelytizing to near Case of Spring Fever levels. And to his wife no less, about the car THEY ALREADY OWN. Not to mention his slowly building a toy car out of picnic supplies as he goes on.

The beginning was great, self indulgant to the parody extreme. "Come make a mountain out of our molehill." Priceless.

I am assuming the "rejected Billy and Mandy character designs from an episode about double amputees" line is self referential and actually accurate?

Offline Rabbit Ears

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #1453 on: April 29, 2013, 08:49:32 PM »
We just finished watching Drawback's iriff of the immortal classic "Casablanca...."  wait no...."Girls Just Want to Have Fun."  Yeah.  I always get those two mixed up.  This was one of the best iriffs I've ever seen, so I wanted to give it a special shout out!  Anything with Sarah Jessica Parker puking out a window is an A++.

Offline NosferatusCoffin

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 64
    • Cinemasochism
« Reply #1454 on: April 30, 2013, 09:28:32 PM »
Bought that one a few weeks ago, but have not watched it yet, as I am having synch issues with it.

However, the preview clip looks hilarious.

The SJP camel toe riff itself is already a classic to me.
Catch us on Cinemamsochism:
http://www.cinemasochism.com/

Catch us on iRiffs:
http://www.rifftrax.com/search/apachesolr_search/cinemasochism

"Diplomats. The best diplomat I know of is a fully loaded phaser bank." - Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott