login

Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 116287 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #870 on: August 02, 2017, 07:40:18 PM »
But sometimes things don't work exactly per what I laid out in the above post either. My current job is sort of an example. Been here 2 years and didn't get an interview until 7 months after applying. Didn't make the first 2 rounds of cuts due to not having an HR degree. But the HR VP was very particular and didn't like any of the 20+ people he interviewed with HR degrees and I eventually got a call despite already having received a rejection email. 

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3785
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #871 on: August 03, 2017, 02:49:41 AM »
That's very interesting  :o
That plan makes a lot of sense though.. The various jobs I've applied for over the last couple of years required some sort of degree, mostly a Bachelor of Science but thought my Bachelors of Arts along with my background would be enough but now that you mention that system I don't think I stood a chance  :-[
It sounds like the job I applied for was not getting any responses.. A friend of mine who's sister works there told me about it the other night, I fill out their application online, upload my resume as well as my DD-214 and the very next morning (yesterday ) I was called for an interview so it sounds like they were getting no response to their job listing. .

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #872 on: August 03, 2017, 09:35:59 AM »
Interview seem to went well overall even though I heard at least 3 times (2 in the beginning and once at the end) that I was over qualified for the position. I knew that already but none of the jobs I felt qualified for sent me emails that I was not selected or just never contacted me at all. It starts at $15/hr and I told them that I am starting over now. I have to start somewhere and I was willing to take the position if offered. I have 2 friends that are putting a good word in for me there so I will probably hear something back next week.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #873 on: September 15, 2017, 04:04:03 PM »
So an estimated 143 million Americans credit info is hacked from Equifax and these 2 bozos can just 'retire' and escape justice ???
http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/350951-two-equifax-executives-resign-in-wake-of-massive-data-breach

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #874 on: September 15, 2017, 05:07:56 PM »
What is worse, the free credit monitoring service (run by Equifax) they are telling people to sign up for has 2 issues, there is an arbitration clause and it automatically renews at a price after the first year...  So you have to remember to cancel it and you can't joint any class actions that might happen.  Basically they are trying to make extra money because of their screw up.

At least when Target had their breach I got a free year of monitoring that didn't renew and it was from a separate company so the user agreement didn't have anything to do with Target.

I was going to cancel my Lifelock membership this year, but I guess I'll keep it another year, I got it after some documents got lost in the mail after my dad passed away last year, but they eventually came back months later partially shredded by postal machinery.  Also Discover card has a new free service where they check for your social security number on lists passed around by scammers.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #875 on: September 15, 2017, 05:14:00 PM »
I got my free credit report https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action
printed out and discovered my street address in the SC capitol where it doesn't exist ???
Overall things look fine with mine though I see American Express & Discover have checked my credit a number of times the past couple of years for some unknown reasons and there's apparently nothing I can do about it to stop them :grr:

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #877 on: October 10, 2017, 05:17:31 PM »

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 366
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #878 on: October 12, 2017, 10:11:14 AM »
I wonder if the same will happen in the U.S. by next year :-\
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/sears-canada-closing-all-stores-laying-off-all-employees/ar-AAth2FM
Most definitely.  Sears and K-Mart have been on life support for years.  It's sad to watch them flounder and die like this.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3114
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #879 on: October 12, 2017, 10:21:18 AM »
If being prominently featured in Gremlins couldn't save K-Mart, nothing can!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #880 on: October 25, 2017, 07:51:00 AM »
Welp I got a seasonal job
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The pay is not great but will be enough to get me through the rest of the year so I can make 1 final trip to Mexico in January to wrap things up down there (sign over my part of my late wife & I's land to my goddaughter, see a dentist for a cleaning and fillings, get the rest of my belongings, and say goodby to my late wife one last time)..
When I return from Mexico in mid-January, there may be opportunity to move up into supervisory or a management position with my background so I have reason to remain optimistic for the future.. We'll see how it goes :-\

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #881 on: November 19, 2017, 07:30:07 AM »
Well, my wife no longer works for that cable company that everyone loves to hate.  She has a new job now but it's a significant pay cut.  Another downside is now we have to return to a normal bill for cable/tv/internet and not have all the channels.  Going to supplement the low tier service with Hulu I think, but not sure I can justify paying extra for HBO just to watch Last Week Tonight w John Oliver.  :'(

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #882 on: November 19, 2017, 07:36:31 AM »
Well, my wife no longer works for that cable company that everyone loves to hate.  She has a new job now but it's a significant pay cut.  Another downside is now we have to return to a normal bill for cable/tv/internet and not have all the channels.  Going to supplement the low tier service with Hulu I think, but not sure I can justify paying extra for HBO just to watch Last Week Tonight w John Oliver.  :'(
Ugh, that sux..
I cut everything down to a Digital antenna and what I don't get I can usually find on YouTube (like John Oliver included)

I've been working at Target myself for a seasonal position to help carry me through till the end of the year. It's a significant pay cut from what I've had in the past but maybe it will lead to something permanent with better pay next year after I make one last trip to Mexico for my late wife's anniversary  :-\

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #883 on: November 24, 2017, 04:12:15 AM »
Finished my first Thanksgiving/Black Friday week at my seasonal job
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and it was quite the experience..
I work very early mornings starting with unloading trucks of merchandise which is pretty grueling actually but wakes you up, and sorting it to different pallets to be taken out to various departments where it's set out on shelves before the store opens.
By the end of my shift, my feet are killing me!! The fact that I haven't been on my feet for long periods of time for years as well as having flat-feet doesn't help things at all :-\
I'm toughing it out till the end of December to see if I have the possibility of moving up in the company but from what I've seen, it may take some time for advancement there, so I will probably start floating my resume again in mid-January checking some other more promising job prospects.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #884 on: January 02, 2018, 10:25:15 AM »