Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 116029 times)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2009, 03:53:22 PM »

Is he wearing a jacket over a hospital gown?

Oh, and good luck south-of-the-border RVR.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3781
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2009, 03:55:27 PM »

Is he wearing a jacket over a hospital gown?

Oh, and good luck south-of-the-border RVR.
I was wondering the same thing :D :D

And Thanks! 8)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2009, 03:57:02 PM »
Yeah, that was a stunning jacket for his mug shot.    That is why I think RVR II can get him for a song...... just keep him away from the hookers.   The Germans may have invented a great towel, but not the ability to clean up hooker related injuries in a jiffy.

Offline darkchashy

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 3
  • beware strangers baring gifs
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2009, 12:03:48 PM »
The barrel suspenders business must be booming
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/Paterson-Withholds-Money-from-Counties-78884282.html
the country is rotting
may have to watch it in HD
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RrP9qJmjIsA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RrP9qJmjIsA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>
http://cohort11.americanobserver.net/latoyaegwuekwe/multimediafinal.html
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 02:21:16 AM by darkchashy »
that's just how we ride.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2010, 06:26:14 PM »
Well, we have just informed my brother in law (who got deported to Mexico a year and a half ago) that we are letting his house go.
We've been trying to support it with renters till it sold but that never happened.. :-[

We know of 2 other cases in the same boat and the clock is ticking till their houses are foreclosed on as well.. :-\
I, personally, am Glad that Finally we will no longer be responsible for the mortgage any longer!

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2010, 05:55:42 AM »
 :grr: Between daycare being closed because of non-existant snow storms, both kids getting sick, the wife getting sick all over the past 2 weeks, and now me getting sick I managed to completely miss the fact that my unemployment benefits expired yesterday.

I can reapply but I have to wait til the end of March before I can.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2010, 06:03:30 AM »
:grr: Between daycare being closed because of non-existant snow storms, both kids getting sick, the wife getting sick all over the past 2 weeks, and now me getting sick I managed to completely miss the fact that my unemployment benefits expired yesterday.

Wow! And I thought I had it bad.. :scared:

I run 2 tax offices and my business is off Substantially this season! :speechless:
We haven't pulled in Any Money at my new plaza location for nearly a week and a half and I am starting to stress big time now..

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2010, 06:14:05 AM »

Wow! And I thought I had it bad.. :scared:

I run 2 tax offices and my business is off Substantially this season! :speechless:
We haven't pulled in Any Money at my new plaza location for nearly a week and a half and I am starting to stress big time now..

The good news is that my wife finally got a job, but she's been waiting for them to give her the salary info & start date for about 2 and a half weeks now.  She's a temp at one Comcast location and got hired by another team at Comcast.  I think her current boss doesn't want to give her up until they find a replacement for her which is what's dragging things out.  Hopefully she starts by the 1st.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2010, 07:49:06 AM »
Just talked to another former co-worker who is in the same boat as me.  The actual Unemployment office near us is closed today.  All they'd tell her was "something happened over the weekend and we can't access any information for another day or so."

Maybe the whole month long wait is a glitch?  I know in MA we had to give up 4 weeks of unemployment in order to get the last extension.  (I think it was something like MA got 30 weeks, but the Federal extension was at 26 weeks.)  Who knows...  hopefully I hear more in another day or so.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2010, 08:09:43 AM »
Just talked to another former co-worker who is in the same boat as me.  The actual Unemployment office near us is closed today.  All they'd tell her was "something happened over the weekend and we can't access any information for another day or so."

Maybe the whole month long wait is a glitch?  I know in MA we had to give up 4 weeks of unemployment in order to get the last extension.  (I think it was something like MA got 30 weeks, but the Federal extension was at 26 weeks.)  Who knows...  hopefully I hear more in another day or so.
Well, I wound up throwing away my unemployment benefits back in Feb. 2006 when I quit my 10+ years of employment due to a workers comp case (that's Still pending), so I Hope we can pull through this year.. :-[

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2010, 07:39:26 PM »
I'm FINALLY getting full-time hours at the new job, which is great since I've lost about 8k of my savings over the last 5/6 months.  I transferred from music to DVD which I *thought* would be my dream job but it turns out the boss is a hugely demanding woman who pulls me up on not doing things I didn't know I was supposed to do.

Ah well, at least I *have* a job AND one that involves something I love (for the first time in my life) I just wish the money was better and she was less insane... I'll have to keep my head down and cut back on expenses so I can slowly start topping up my savings.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline darkchashy

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 3
  • beware strangers baring gifs
« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2010, 04:14:00 AM »
They let a smart person post on google news, maybe I should have put this in weird news.
What now?
If inflation isn't the answer, then cutting spending and raising taxes are. But doing this scares the everliving mess out of politicians, because it rankles the people who vote for them. Even those who talk tough about spending cuts ultimately cave. A good example came in January, when President Obama proposed creating a deficit reduction committee. The Senate immediately voted 97-0 (a rare show of unanimity) that the commission would be banned from touching Social Security benefits. We've become a morbidly obese country on a mission to outlaw diet and exercise. Good luck with that.
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2010/04/16/why-the-us-cant-inflate-its-way-out-of-debt.aspx
that's just how we ride.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2010, 06:55:01 AM »
OK something I posted to Facebook but hell might as well put it here as well:

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:04:22 AM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2010, 07:32:39 AM »
No luck in my area :(

In fact, a friend of mine is graduating with a Masters (I think) in History (same degree I have but mine's a BA) and has almost Double the amount in student loans that I have and he's not sure what he's going to do..

He's throwing a party tomorrow night to celebrate his graduation and I'll be talking to him about what his career goals are cause being a Teacher looks like it is not an option. They just announced massive layoffs in the local school district so he might as well stay at his manufacturing job a while longer.. :-\

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2010, 07:34:43 AM »
I'm right there with you Tripe.  I've only got a few weeks left on my UEB.  I've been doing some freelance video stuff, but given my lack of funds it's been tough to get ahold of the equipment & software that I need to make it look really good.  (Plus since it's a career change I've resorted to some pro bono projects to start off.)

Detroit's a hike from Boston, otherwise we could take a stab at starting up something.