login

Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 114809 times)

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 260
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #975 on: December 03, 2018, 10:46:33 AM »
Another week and just one company wants to get me on the horn so far. I admit I'm pretty discouraged by the lack of progress and I haven't been applying as much as I used to.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 244
« Reply #976 on: December 03, 2018, 06:42:13 PM »
Keep at it. My search was very up and down- seemed like I'd have multiple interviews over about 2 weeks, then nothing for 3 or 4, then it would repeat over and over agsin.

First day on my new job was today and my work calendar is already literally booked for every hour from now through the end of the year. I was a bit concerned about going from not working for 10 months to going back full-time right away but today just flew by. Enjoying it so far but have a whole hell of a lot to learn.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #977 on: December 06, 2018, 07:26:50 PM »
Interesting / frustrating first week on the new job.
Interesting due to basically being given free reign to do whatever I think needs to be done.
Frustrating because (as I previously posted) I've had meetings after meetings after meetings scheduled for me for every hour from day 1 until the rest of the year (a third of which I've already missed due to needing to get things done outside of meetings).
I think it'll be a demanding but great job if I can get through this gauntlet of meetings and make it to January.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3730
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #978 on: December 14, 2018, 04:25:31 PM »
Tension is at it's highest level yet at my local post office.. :scared:
The postmaster is the main cause of it all. He micro-manages daily operations, hovers like a hawk at the carriers nitpicking on various things they are/are not doing, and wants me to sort as many packages as possible throughout the day to keep up with the large amount of parcels coming into the facility for the carriers to deliver on their daily routes.
Today we had a customer bring in over 80 packages that the window clerk had to process manually so I stayed up there helping gather them up and put them in a bin for outgoing mail to be processed in Charlotte then I was going to take my lunch. The postmaster stops me and says he wants 6 pallets of UPS Surepost packages sorted before I go to lunch.. That's 3 hours of work averaging 30 minutes per pallet! I said sure I'll get right on it, only to discover that half of the cages and large hampers are missing from the sorting areas because the carriers have pulled them to sort them for their routes so I couldn't even begin to sort these 6 pallets till they were done with the first round of packages but he still wanted me to sort them anyway.. This causes packages to pile up on the floor and then the carriers started coming over to gather up the new packages I had sorted so they're getting in my way slowing me down in the process so the postmaster comes over to help. Then here comes this older woman carrier to get her stuff out of her cage and doesn't latch the gate properly and the gate falls on her back right in front of the postmaster and I so he goes off on her to get out of the area so we can do our job. Then a few minutes later he's all frustrated and  stops me from sorting and tells me to just go to lunch.
One of the other PSE's wound up sorting those pallets while I was at lunch.
I come back at 1pm and more pallets of product had come in so now he wants me to sort those packages. There's 2 women supervisors in our office under the post master; one for the morning, one for the afternoon/evenings. The evening supervisor stops me from sorting packages because some of the carriers had still not finished pulling their packages out of the cages from this morning then the morning supervisor comes over and says to just sort the packages anyway and the carriers would deliver them in the morning. They wind up arguing in front of me and the postmaster about what to do for a good 5 minutes or so and the postmaster steps in and all 3 go somewhere out of sight. He tells me to again stop sorting for now and to go back to clearing the window of customer's drop offs and sorting the mail for outgoing. The morning supervisor apparently left for the rest of the day after that. :o
I'm simply trying to do my job and more to the best of my ability and now I'm getting caught up in the middle of work drama and it's proving to be quite a challenge to avoid. The postmaster just needs to back off of everybody and just let us do our jobs.
Also there's apparently been issues of trailers of mail that have been left sitting in the yard at the Charlotte distribution center for weeks and 3 higher ups were removed from their positions as a result of this. Now we may be getting bombarded with parcels soon and the postmaster wants all carriers to work Sunday to keep up with the incoming mail and some carriers are saying they will not show up despite the order.. Guess we'll see what happens this weekend :-\
I think everybody will be glad to get this Christmas season over and done with :-[
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:27:13 PM by RVR II »

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #979 on: December 14, 2018, 09:45:14 PM »
Work politics suck.
My second week on the new job wasn't nearly as good as the first. My boss wasn't happy that I missed half the meetings he had set up for me because his boss had me performing actual work. With meetings set up for me for literally every hour of my first month on the job, I don't know how he was expected me to get any actual work done, especially considering that most of the meetings don't pertain to my job but were set up just because my boss wants me to get to know everyone I'm working with. In addition to missing meetings, I don't think he was happy that his boss was reaching out to me directly instead of going through him. We'll see how week 3 goes, but I'm not feeling as warm and fuzzy as I was when I accepted the job or after week 1.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #980 on: December 15, 2018, 09:18:04 PM »
Going into work 3 hours early cause pallets of parcels started coming in yesterday afternoon.
4 pallets of Amazon came in along with 5 pallets of FedEx Surepost. The FedEx driver dropped off the wrong pallets to our post office and took our pallets to the main post office and that has already set us behind schecule.. Our local truck driver had to come in off the clock to fix the pallet mixups and will bill the FedEx DC for their screw up.
So now I have a total of 9 pallets waiting to be sorted, an unknown number of Amazon pallets will be arriving by 3-4am and then an unknown number of U.S. Mail along with First Class, Priority, Media/Parcel Select/etc packages by 6-7am.
Another senior PSE is coming in by 7-8am to help me so I hope to be done sorting everything by 10am but something tells me that may not happen despite this early effort :-\

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #981 on: December 16, 2018, 10:03:48 AM »
Going into work 3 hours early cause pallets of parcels started coming in yesterday afternoon.
4 pallets of Amazon came in along with 5 pallets of FedEx Surepost. The FedEx driver dropped off the wrong pallets to our post office and took our pallets to the main post office and that has already set us behind schecule.. Our local truck driver had to come in off the clock to fix the pallet mixups and will bill the FedEx DC for their screw up.
So now I have a total of 9 pallets waiting to be sorted, an unknown number of Amazon pallets will be arriving by 3-4am and then an unknown number of U.S. Mail along with First Class, Priority, Media/Parcel Select/etc packages by 6-7am.
Another senior PSE is coming in by 7-8am to help me so I hope to be done sorting everything by 10am but something tells me that may not happen despite this early effort :-\
Nope! Finally clocked out just after 12 noon.
I decided to go in at 1am after only getting 3 hours of sleep (mostly because I couldn't sleep thinking about my work strategy for knocking out the work load). I blasted through 9 pallets of product in 3 hours :o Took a lunch from 4am to 4:30am and soon after, more Amazon pallets of packages came in. Got through those in under 2 hours then FedEx dropped off 5 pallets of packages and got through half of them before the carriers started coming over to get their packages for their routes.
During this time I had told the supervisor that I came in early to get a head start on the parcels and she seemed to like that initiative, but then I mentioned it to the postmaster and he gets all bent out of shape asking me who gave me that authority and I wasn't authorized to come in that early because he has to explain to some higher ups why I came in and just being an ass about the whole situation.. That really spun me up the rest of the morning as he had a meeting with me just over 2 weeks ago about wanting to start me at midnight to handle Amazon and other parcels and I told him I would have no problem doing it then when I actually do it, he gets all pissy about it because I didn't get his authorization first (just like a control freak would do)  >:(
Then a full semi tractor trailer of Postal Mail parcels arrived just as I was finishing off the FedEx and I get stuck there another 2 1/2 hours sorting all those all the while stewing about the postmasters reaction to me taking the initiative to get ahead of the work load.. And it worked!
I'm sore, tired, & still very aggravated about his cowardly reaction as this proves my point that he's the main reason things are so chaotic at our post office. :-[
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:59:36 AM by RVR II »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #982 on: December 19, 2018, 10:01:40 AM »
Nope! Finally clocked out just after 12 noon.
I decided to go in at 1am after only getting 3 hours of sleep (mostly because I couldn't sleep thinking about my work strategy for knocking out the work load). I blasted through 9 pallets of product in 3 hours :o Took a lunch from 4am to 4:30am and soon after, more Amazon pallets of packages came in. Got through those in under 2 hours then FedEx dropped off 5 pallets of packages and got through half of them before the carriers started coming over to get their packages for their routes.
During this time I had told the supervisor that I came in early to get a head start on the parcels and she seemed to like that initiative, but then I mentioned it to the postmaster and he gets all bent out of shape asking me who gave me that authority and I wasn't authorized to come in that early because he has to explain to some higher ups why I came in and just being an ass about the whole situation.. That really spun me up the rest of the morning as he had a meeting with me just over 2 weeks ago about wanting to start me at midnight to handle Amazon and other parcels and I told him I would have no problem doing it then when I actually do it, he gets all pissy about it because I didn't get his authorization first (just like a control freak would do)  >:(
Then a full semi tractor trailer of Postal Mail parcels arrived just as I was finishing off the FedEx and I get stuck there another 2 1/2 hours sorting all those all the while stewing about the postmasters reaction to me taking the initiative to get ahead of the work load.. And it worked!
I'm sore, tired, & still very aggravated about his cowardly reaction as this proves my point that he's the main reason things are so chaotic at our post office. :-[
So the postmaster comes up to me this morning and says "I have good news! Starting tonight I want you to come in at midnight to sort packages." He goes on to tell me Amazon started midnight runs and he had to come in at 2am to open the gate.. I just started laughing! :D
I told the one supervisor that watched me get chewed out for taking the initiative to come in early and she just  threw her hands in the air shaking her head! Several coworkers reacted similarly and said I just proved my point that I got ahead of the work load for the day by doing what I did and now I'm 'authorized' to start coming in early now..
Go figure ::)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 11:48:17 AM by RVR II »

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #983 on: December 28, 2018, 05:00:07 PM »
If I hadn't been unemployed for 10 months before starting this job, I probably would be looking for another job now...and still may.
I love the hours and like the people I work with and like the fact that I'm pretty much left alone on a day-to-day basis to do what I know needs to be done. But thanks to a total lack of training, I'm constantly learning that I'm expected to do things that I didn't know needed to be done and simply have to figure how to do them out on my own. I can deal with that but it's been a constant struggle to get granted access to computer systems that I need to perform my job.
I finally got access to one system yesterday and discovered a big error that my boss' boss made last week (a micro-manager who closely guards access to a lot of the systems I need access to and has been one of my biggest obstacles in getting that access) that could have ended up being very costly if I hadn't caught it this week. I pointed out the mistake as soon as I found it.
The thanks I got was a long winded email this morning stating I should have found the mistake earlier and demanding I correct it immediately.
I thought better of sending what I wrote in immediate response and deleted it before sending and instead responded by forwarding 8 emails that I had sent this person over the last 2 weeks asking for access, explaining that I'm not sure how I could have found the error before being granted access yesterday, that I found the error within 2 hours of being granted access, that I couldn't correct the error because once again the access I was granted was "read only", and listing a number of other systems I still needed either access to or write access to instead of just read in order to do my job.
My boss called me within minutes of my response, apologized for his boss, and said not to worry about it, he'd make sure I get what I need. Not holding my breath that I'll get an apology from his boss and my bigger concern is that I got bitched out for pointing out a mistake that wasn't even my own, so what's going to happen when I do inevitably make a mistake myself.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #984 on: December 29, 2018, 10:10:13 AM »
Going to work in the dark and getting home from work in the dark every day has made me lazy during the week when I'm not at work. And this morning just made me realize how lazy in some ways I had become when not working- although part of that was intentional since I would space things that needed to be done out throughout the week so that each and every day I was busy doing something in addition to looking for work.
Had about 12 things to do this morning- a week's worth of things when I wasn't working- and I got them all done before noon.
Grocery shopping was the big one that I cut a lot of time off of by just going to one store instead of my usual 2 or 3 -certain stores have things that others don't and when I wasn't working and pinching every penny I'd sale shop- this morning my thoughts were sure it's not the normal brand I'd buy but it's close enough or yeah, it's a dollar more here than across the street, but I've got 11 other things to do today. 

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #985 on: January 05, 2019, 08:49:38 PM »
It took me awhile to catch on, but I've learned my manager's manager and my immediate manager really don't like each other. Manager's manager will call me and rant and rave 3 or 4 times a week and ask some pretty pointed questions about what my manager is doing. Usually followed fairly quickly by a call from my manager asking for details about what his manager called me about. Keep getting assignments from each of them with instructions not to tell the other about the assignment and instructions from both that they want to know about any assignment that the other gives me. As silly as it all is, I feel better finally figuring out the politics and I've been very careful to not say a bad thing about either of them to the other despite some of the attempts by each to get me to.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #986 on: January 06, 2019, 12:05:08 AM »
So the Christmas season is over but the chaos at the Charlotte USPS DC apparently got the attention of higher-ups in Washington DC and apparently flew down to Charlotte on New Years Day to see what was going on.. From missing VA medication to tractor trailers of parcels sitting on the lot for weeks without being unloaded.. And getting an average of 3 trucks every morning with only small bundles of mail and parcels when we should have no more than 2. Every payday it seems like a bunch of employees will call in sick so the the mail sorting gets backlogged as a result. The acting postmaster even sent me a text asking if I was interested in working at the Charlotte plant on New years Day ??? I politely responded that I couldn't because I had made other plans ::)
At least 3 managers including the plant manager were removed from their post and it sounds like it could take weeks to get things back in order there so all the post offices in the Mid-Carolinas has to suffer because of Charlotte's incompetence. 

Oh, and our 'acting' postmaster will be returning from vacation this week and many of the carriers, including me are not looking forward to that :-[
Anyway, I'm off to my local post office to work Amazon Sunday. Yay...

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 260
« Reply #987 on: January 07, 2019, 08:22:45 AM »
I had one job interview today that I thought went extremely well. It was with a company I think I would get along with fine.

I also have an interview scheduled for later today. I may or may not go to it.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #988 on: January 07, 2019, 06:17:00 PM »
Hope you go/went to the other interview. May not be something you were as interested in, but when looking any interview is good and can help you in other interviews even if you're not interested in the job.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #989 on: January 08, 2019, 06:54:26 PM »
Wow this acting postmaster is a piece of work..
I usually get a 2-3 hour break for lunch during my split shift days and I'm usually scheduled to return to work by 2pm but I usually come back by 1pm to get a head start on the afternoon work of parcels and outgoing mail but yesterday the postmaster jumps on me asking me who gave me the authority to come back from lunch early?  I told him no one but the senior PSE clerk said it would be fine to come in early to start on the afternoon work but because he didn't authorize it I get chewed out once again for taking the initiative..
Then a little while later he comes back telling me I'm doing a good job and that it's the payroll department that's telling him to watch the number of hours we work each day for the work week because they're restricting overtime now that the Christmas season is over. So why didn't he just say that instead of jumping on my case ??? Then he goes on and asks me about my submarine career and inquiring about my subs and what all I did and where all I went and so on I guess to make up for earlier but never once apologized.
Never before have I been scolded for taking the initiative and it's pretty obvious he has anger issues. He should not be in a managerial position at all!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 07:03:22 PM by RVR II »