Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 101319 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 112
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #900 on: May 16, 2018, 05:08:22 PM »
After a couple of months of phone interviews here and there and only 1 face-to-face interview, about a week and a half ago the dam seemed to have broken a bit. I've had 1 or more phone interviews every day this week and 3 face-to-face interviews and I have 5 phone interviews and 4 face-to-face interviews sceduled for next week. Can't count any chickens before they're in the fryer (and several of the interviews both phone and in person have been for jobs that would be absolutely dreadful), but I'm starting to feel some hope that just a couple of weeks ago was missing.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 05:17:05 PM by wihogfan »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3399
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #901 on: May 16, 2018, 05:24:05 PM »
Had my review at Target and I had a good review overall which equates to a whole $0.16 cents raise ... I only get 2 4-hour days a week there and last week it was only 1 day and next week I get 4 days ::)
During my review, my cell phone rang and I quickly shut it off to send the call to voice mail. When I checked the message after work it was a phone call from the post office in the next town over wanting to setup an interview on April 24 :o
I called them back to confirm that I would be there.
I just hope I get this job cause I'll immediately put in my 2 week notice at Target 8)
Still waiting for a response from the Post Office about this job I interviewed for so I'm forced to remain working part time at Target.. :-[
It's a PSE position working in the back sorting incoming mail and also working the counter at times, but also includes working at 4 other regional post offices in the southern and western parts of the county so that accident from Oct. 2014 on my driving record could become a deciding factor here. :-\
I also applied for a QA position at a Composites facility about a mile from my house though I haven't worked Quality Assurance since 2006 so that might be an issue there..

If nothing comes of either of these jobs, I've decided to take a trip to Pittsburgh in July to stay with the woman I've been talking to by phone for several months now. Actually she's coming to visit me next month for my B-day and stay for 3 weeks with me then I would just go back with her on the return flight July 7 and stay for 2 weeks and check out the city. I have no plans to move to Pittsburgh, just get away and see the city before returning home and resuming my job hunt.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #902 on: May 16, 2018, 05:37:17 PM »
I've been to Pittsburgh twice. My thoughts were that it wasn't a great vacation spot (went once for a sporting event and once for work), but it would probably be a better place than I was expecting to live.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #903 on: May 16, 2018, 05:45:34 PM »
I've been to Pittsburgh twice. My thoughts were that it wasn't a great vacation spot (went once for a sporting event and once for work), but it would probably be a better place than I was expecting to live.
I've never been. She has a house in downtown on the east side of the city. She's lived there her entire life so she would show me around town.
She's a surgical nurse that took early retirement the end of last year and If things continue to work out with us, she said she would sell her house and move down to my place where we might setup a mobile nursing/assisted living type business. All her medical licenses are still valid through 2020 so it would just be a matter of finding out how to transfer them from PA to SC.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #904 on: May 16, 2018, 06:10:44 PM »
Keep an open mind if you do end up visiting Pittsburgh. If things don't pan out locally in my job hunt within a couple of months (and I'd really prefer not to move as our house here is paid off and we have a lot of local ties), Pittsburgh will probably make my list of places I'd consider relocating to. It's a large (but not too large) city that has a smaller mid-sized city feel.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #905 on: May 17, 2018, 03:51:34 AM »
Keep an open mind if you do end up visiting Pittsburgh. If things don't pan out locally in my job hunt within a couple of months (and I'd really prefer not to move as our house here is paid off and we have a lot of local ties), Pittsburgh will probably make my list of places I'd consider relocating to. It's a large (but not too large) city that has a smaller mid-sized city feel.
I won't rule anything out but moving north wouldn't be ideal for me, even back to Buffalo where I'm originally from as I don't even know/remember a lot of my family there anymore :-\
She's much more eager to move away from Pittsburgh and start a new life/adventure here. Her house is completely paid for and we could save/invest the money from the sale of her house for the future for our mobile nursing business and for retirement.

A lot is hinging on what happens with these 2 jobs so I'm eager to plan ahead depending on the outcomes.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #906 on: June 05, 2018, 06:49:44 PM »
Over the last 3 or 4 weeks I had finally made it past phone interviews into a number of face-to-face interviews. Really liked 1 company/job more than any others and that has been the only company that invited me back for a second and then third face-to-face interview. Told middle of last week they were working on a job offer and I'd hear back from them this week with an offer. Heard back yesterday...company bought by another company on Friday...and put on a total hiring freeze. Won't know anything more until the purchase is finalized and plans for the new direction of the company are finalized- probably in another 4 to 6 weeks. So kind of back to square one :(

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #907 on: June 06, 2018, 02:51:47 AM »
I can't even get that far.. still no word from the post office on the job i applied for 2 months ago and interviewed for 2 weeks later.. an accident from 2014 is whats keeping me from getting any kind of delivery position with them so i looked into seeing if there was a way to get an accident expunged from my driving record and my state of SC doesn't allow for expungment of traffic tickets nor accidents from your 10 year driving record, yet criminals can get certain convictions expunged from their record.. That makes a lot of sense ::)
Called the post office and talked briefly with the post master and he's under the impression the position has already been filled yet online my application still shows I'm on a hiring list..
I just want an answer of some kind so I can make near future plans.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 02:54:48 AM by RVR II »

Offline linszoid

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 48
« Reply #908 on: June 06, 2018, 07:10:52 PM »
I think I need to throw my hat into this thread as well. I'm currently working for a near minimum wage job but I have a 4-year degree and am currently working on my Masters. I had a face to face interview last week that I should hear about any day now. I also had a skype interview the other week with another company and it seemed to go well.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #909 on: June 07, 2018, 06:40:35 AM »
I can't even get that far.. still no word from the post office on the job i applied for 2 months ago and interviewed for 2 weeks later.. an accident from 2014 is whats keeping me from getting any kind of delivery position with them so i looked into seeing if there was a way to get an accident expunged from my driving record and my state of SC doesn't allow for expungment of traffic tickets nor accidents from your 10 year driving record, yet criminals can get certain convictions expunged from their record.. That makes a lot of sense ::)
Called the post office and talked briefly with the post master and he's under the impression the position has already been filled yet online my application still shows I'm on a hiring list..
I just want an answer of some kind so I can make near future plans.
Finally heard back from the Post Master and now they are apparently not going to fill the position at this time. No ETA on when or if they will. If it's decided to be filled within 180 days then I am still in the running but after 180 days I would have to reapply..
I was thinking of making that trip to Pittsburgh but I still have that damn ridiculous power bill I have to deal with first so I'm probably going to just remain here. Just great :-[

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #910 on: June 07, 2018, 11:37:13 AM »
I think I need to throw my hat into this thread as well. I'm currently working for a near minimum wage job but I have a 4-year degree and am currently working on my Masters. I had a face to face interview last week that I should hear about any day now. I also had a skype interview the other week with another company and it seemed to go well.
Wages are a big part of the reason I've having trouble finding a job. I made a good above market wage rate at my last job (and fortunately had put a lot into savings, so we're not really hurting and basically living off my wife's salary, but it seems like once a month something comes up-new refrig, car repair, vet bill- that forces us to take some out of savings, so this isn't something we'll be able to sustain long term). I'm willing/expecting to make about 2/3s of what I was previously making at my next job, but I keep getting disqualified from positions as soon as they find out what my last salary was. Face-to-face and over the phone, I'm pretty good at avoiding answering the question directly, but a lot of applications require you to answer to apply and I guess I'm just too honest to lie. 

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #911 on: June 07, 2018, 12:42:40 PM »
I've told them lower annual wages before on applications in the hopes of avoiding issues like that in interviews and now I'm making far less than I ever was yet I still can't seem to break through the 'Hired' barrier!
I'm hearing more and more that my age is a factor for not being hired and as I turn 49 next weekend, I find myself fighting a depressed state more and more  :-[

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #912 on: June 07, 2018, 12:54:12 PM »
I just turned 50 and I also think that's a factor.
And I have nights/sometimes weeks where sleep is difficult due to lying in bed worrying. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 01:46:53 PM by wihogfan »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #913 on: June 07, 2018, 02:13:55 PM »
I just turned 50 and I also think that's a factor.
And I have nights/sometimes weeks where sleep is difficult due to lying in bed worrying.
Same here and my sleep issues have been going on with me since my late wife was sick then passed away.. Just trying to grasp at straws as to what the next chapter in my life is going to be..
Last night I had a dream that I was at a post office somewhere volunteering to help sort mail just to prove to them that I'm worth giving an opportunity to but to no avail..

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #914 on: July 09, 2018, 07:59:36 PM »
Emailed and left a voicemail late last week for the company that was allegedly working on an offer and got bought and got put on a hiring freeze. Was told at the time of the hiring freeze (beginning of June) that I'd hear from them by the end of June with an update. Have yet to hear back.
Had a 2nd interview last Thursday for another company- had to drive 3 hours each way for that 2nd interview. Job would be local, but 2nd interview was at their corporate office. No word from them yet.
Despite the economy being better here and there being lots of job listings, this week I'm starting (after being jobless for 5 months now) to run out of places to apply to as I've applied to most of them already at least once. Might have to consider moving although wife's job makes that difficult (she's been with the same employer for almost 20 years and likely wouldn't get the same salary anywhere else and definitely wouldn't get the same amount of time off as she gets now).
Main issues I feel I'm running into are what I was making before is more than most employers are starting out at now and my age.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 08:13:34 PM by wihogfan »