login

Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 130126 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 343
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #1125 on: April 03, 2020, 04:38:44 AM »
Totally support hazard pay for anyone dealing with the public during this. We're an office that has banned visitors and 10 people working in a building that normally has 60. Also just not in a financial position to afford it.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2911
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1126 on: April 03, 2020, 07:35:58 AM »
Where I work they are giving the non-exempt hourly people 1.25x pay if they have to go in, I'm exempt so don't get that.  So far everyone is getting paid even if they don't have work they can do from home, we'll see how long that holds up, lots of universities are putting people on furlough.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1516
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #1127 on: April 03, 2020, 08:05:04 AM »
I'm "essential".  Wife is also currently "essential" but not sure for how long.  They've already shuffled her from one office to another to another to another to now being shifted into an at home call center rep.

Fingers crossed neither of us get sick or furloughed since we just bought a house in January. (Also it's been raining for a few days straight, which a few more days in the forecast and our bulkhead is leaking.  So that's fun.)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5829
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #1128 on: April 04, 2020, 09:13:15 AM »
For a while I'll only be working four days a week.  Thankfully I can afford that but the reason is that my sister's partner ALSO is down to four days a week, so this will be a bit rougher on them.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1129 on: April 04, 2020, 10:46:31 AM »
Wife's employer keeps changing course. Got told she was being laid off when all this started. Lay off never happened. Then her work hours started changing ever other day. After not working for 2 weekends, got put back  working every other weekend. So first weekend back working every other weekend and now being told they might not be working any more weekends. Frustrating, but as I keep telling her, at least she's still working and only 2 other people are working with her.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1130 on: April 04, 2020, 12:46:52 PM »
So the wife got sent home after a half day of work today. Apparently her company (big retailer) had gotten permission to keep people on filling online orders (which is what she's been doing for the last couple of weeks), but did not get gov't permission for curbside pickups, which they were starting today (even though it was a dumb idea to begin with seeing as how nothing they sell is essential).

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4416
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #1131 on: April 04, 2020, 01:15:02 PM »
Pretty aggravating Saturday morning..
I was scheduled to start at 9am which meant someone else was supposed to get the post office counter setup for the day.. No one did! Computers aren't up, lights aren't on, safe isn't open.. Nothing!
So I'm rushing to get the system up, trying to get the safe open so I could get my cash drawer, and apparently they all assumed I was coming in early which I did last week but because of my EEO grievance scheduled for this Wednesday I was advised to follow the schedule as posted which I did and in turn this caused this morning's fiasco ..
Not to mention people were waiting once again all the way through the lobby around to the po box section not even spaced 6 ft apart and we had to rush to get that all setup ::)
I'm so ready to get this day over with!

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1132 on: April 08, 2020, 07:38:35 PM »
Had my EEO mediation from 11am-1pm and it was pretty much a 'clearing of the air' on my part. Of course the dipshit manager denied most of it and still claimed I did what ever I wanted by not following the schedule.. I pointed the results that happened when I did follow the schedule which caused delays in opening up the counter, lost time in parcel sorting, etc. I got my point across to the EEO reps and even the new post master seemed impressed with my initiative and work ethics somewhat but in the end I was advised and proceeded not to go further with the EEO process. It would require me to prove there was actual discrimination directed towards me but being that he's white and I'm white, that's pretty much impossible to prove. Never the less it is documented and will add weight to other EEOs still in process by coworkers who are considered minorities (women and black).
Despite this mediation conversation is to remain confidential, it looks like the idiot manager has relayed his disapproval of my EEO at my stationed post office and may have caused some friction directed at me, particularly with the clerk who makes the weekly schedule.. I've brought up scheduling issues in the past with her (like what happened this past Saturday opening up late) yet she still doesn't make necessary adjustments and now the new postmaster has been made aware of this and looks like it's being rectified starting next week.
On a side note, the one EEO rep recommended I look into possibly working as an EEO rep myself :o This caught me off guard but as I mentioned, they seemed quite impressed with my work ethics so maybe there might be a possible future career prospect. I'm definitely interested if the opportunity is available! We'll see what happens there.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6252
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1133 on: April 15, 2020, 02:02:58 PM »
Well my company just announced we are going to have temporary pay reductions for salaried employees, like myself, for two months. They haven't told us by how much yet. We'll find that out in a few days. Fortunately it is not layoffs. But it does show how we are getting hit by the economic problems. Everyone is wondering when the virus emergency will be over. I'm just concerned that the economy will be in really bad shape for a long time afterwards. With soooo many people on unemployment already, we're not really going to just bounce right back.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3684
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #1134 on: April 15, 2020, 03:27:14 PM »
Got my stimulus, not that there's much of an economy to stimulate right now. Gonna do it right, though. Once things are opened back up, I'm gonna patronize the heck out of some local businesses.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 498
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #1136 on: April 21, 2020, 09:12:52 AM »

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1137 on: April 21, 2020, 02:29:29 PM »
Gas has been sitting at 95 cents a gallon here for awhile. I was at around a quarter of a tank on Monday when I went to fill up and did a double take when the pump cut off at less than $10.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3684
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #1138 on: April 21, 2020, 02:36:16 PM »
I last filled up like a month ago and still have over half a tank.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1139 on: April 21, 2020, 02:45:09 PM »
I've been driving my 99 Dodge Ram 1500 since the gas dropped below $2/gal. It's powered by a big 5.9L V8 and last week I filled it with only $35 :o
Put it this way.. It just crossed 115000 miles last week because I hardly drove it due to it being a gas hog