Author Topic: Anyone else got a problem with the premise?  (Read 3562 times)

Jonathan_Short_Torso

Anyone else got a problem with the premise?
« on: October 26, 2008, 09:15:11 PM »
Okay, so as far as I can tell, Jigsaw kills people, puts them through tests so he can help them appreciate their lives better.... right. That's like if I said "Hey, I'm going to help you appreciate pieces of art by gouging your eyes out". It's not just twisted, it's twisted bullshit and in the end that is the worst kind because twisted bullshit comes out of somebody with a twisted stomach and a twisted intestine and a twisted colon as a result of a twisted mind. Anyway, I just think it's a lame defense for killing people even though you try to get out of it by saying you don't kill them, the traps do.

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 136
    • Riff Cover Art
Re: Anyone else got a problem with the premise?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 09:42:27 PM »
Okay, so as far as I can tell, Jigsaw kills people, puts them through tests so he can help them appreciate their lives better.... right. That's like if I said "Hey, I'm going to help you appreciate pieces of art by gouging your eyes out". It's not just twisted, it's twisted bullshit and in the end that is the worst kind because twisted bullshit comes out of somebody with a twisted stomach and a twisted intestine and a twisted colon as a result of a twisted mind. Anyway, I just think it's a lame defense for killing people even though you try to get out of it by saying you don't kill them, the traps do.

Not a fan of horror movies!? You just ruled out 80% of the horror movies out there. I actually think Saw is far more cerebral as horror movies go than most of them out there. I love horror movies big and small... I suppose that makes me twisted for watching people, who watch other people die.

ps-Jigsaw's killing is never justified in the series. If you watch the other movies you'll see that they tend do the opposite. In the end, everyone in the series is screwed up and there are no innocent people. The idea of having to experience something  horrible before you can appreciate your life is a pretty common theme in literature and movies. Just pick up the book "Dante's Inferno" and see for yourself. Saw is sort of a representation of a kind of purgatory I suppose. .. and for the horror fans, a bit of eye candy.

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 136
    • Riff Cover Art
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 08:31:21 PM »
Not a fan of horror movies!? You just ruled out 80% of the horror movies out there. I actually think Saw is far more cerebral as horror movies go than most of them out there. I love horror movies big and small... I suppose that makes me twisted for watching people, who watch other people die.
Actually i'm not a fan of horror films at all, but that's not my point, my point is if the movie is trying to teach us that in order to appreciate life we need to have it close to or nearly snuffed out, then that's bullshit... in my humble opinion that is.

I do agree with you that I don't think the idea of near death is 'needed' to have some sort of insight. But, if nothing else, I think the Saw movies demonstrate how far one can take this notion. This is a good example with how cults evolve. You take an idea, skew it to fit your needs and then push it to the limits. I don't think anyone would ever say that the examples given in any horror movie is something to live by.

... well, I think I feel the need to go watch Hellraiser.

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 10:53:28 PM »
Actually i'm not a fan of horror films at all, but that's not my point, my point is if the movie is trying to teach us that in order to appreciate life we need to have it close to or nearly snuffed out, then that's bullshit... in my humble opinion that is.

In the movie's defense, most of the rest of it was pretty stupid too.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 10:56:54 PM »
Quote from: Piobman
I actually think Saw is far more cerebral as horror movies go than most of them out there.

Holy crap! I just caught my breath after laughing for like, five straight minutes. Good one, man!

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2379
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 05:03:57 AM »
Well there is a reason Jigsaw is the villain in this story.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing