Author Topic: Movies That No One Else Seems To Hate But Me  (Read 27020 times)

Offline ZachsMind

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • Send out a probe. Make it anal.
    • ZachsMind
Re: Movies That No One Else Seems To Hate But Me
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2006, 09:17:50 PM »
I have thanked God for Las Vegas. They took Celine Dion off our hands. She might still appear on the radio, but I don't listen to the radio much anymore so I don't notice anymore.
My wishlist: Leonard Part 6, Gigli, Shanghai Surprise, Mannequin, Supercross, Spice World, Pluto Nash, Angel Heart, Ghost Dad, Flashdance, Home Alone, Lifeforce, Maximum Overdrive, Phantasm, Poltergeist 3, Pretty Woman, Robocop, Sixth Sense

Movies I don't want Riff'd
any Tom Cruise movies. Yuck

Offline Rooser

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2006, 10:44:18 PM »
Me personally? Titanic and Jurassic Park. I refuse to watch them, because they beat out Episode IV on the top 10 box office list.

I really don't want to come off as a jerk, but hating something because it made more money than something else, especially when you have no financial connection to either of said things, is one of the most absurd things in the world. Do you really harbor that much envy? And do you let that envy determine which movies you like and don't like? There are plenty of reasons to not like Titanic and Jurassic Park, (Though I must say I'm partial to Jurassic Park personally. It has this tragic, sarcatic edge that redeems it, similar to RoboCop), you don't need to hate them because they made a ton of money.

And besides, you don't even have your facts straight. Jurassic Park never outearned Star Wars. You're thinking of ET. And with the Special Edition Re-release in 1997, Star Wars regained the then-#1 all-time spot from ET. Titanic came along after that.

If you don't count the money from the 1997 Re-release, Star Wars has since been out-earned by Shrek 2, (Which also out-earned ET), and Episode I of all things. Jurassic Park has since been outearned by Spider-Mans 1 & 2, Return of the King, Episode III, and Passion of the Christ.

I'm wondering if your Jurassic Park-hatery isn't a bit misplaced, hmm?
RiffTrax Wishlist:
ET
The Wizard
Gladiator
ET
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
TRON
ET

Offline Isaac S.

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 5
  • The Gun Alarm Clock: You Snooze, You Lose.
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2006, 10:49:12 PM »
I hated Kill Bill Vol. 1.  Actually, two other people who saw it with me loathed it about equally.  But, as far as I can tell, we're the only three human beings alive who hold a negative opinion of that film.

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
    • BlondeChampagne
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2006, 11:03:51 PM »
I hated Kill Bill Vol. 1.  Actually, two other people who saw it with me loathed it about equally.  But, as far as I can tell, we're the only three human beings alive who hold a negative opinion of that film.

Make it four, my friend.  Make it four.

I really don't want to come off as a jerk, but hating something because it made more money than something else, especially when you have no financial connection to either of said things, is one of the most absurd things in the world.

Well, for me, it seemed like the infuriatingly insulting cherry on top of this insipid goo of a film; here was this crappy movie Titanic that not only wouldn't go away, it knocked one of my very favorites out of the top spots that it had held for a bit.  Just a little factiod that annoyed me; it wasn't like I had these big tote boards in my living room that I shook my fist at day after day, all, "Damn you, James Cameron!  DAAAAAAAMN YOOOOOOUUUUU!"

(shrugs) I guess it's kind of like rooting for your "movie team."  Joe Montana never did anything to me personally, and yet I will forever have a massive glare for him since his 49ers beat my Bengals in the '88 Super Bowl. 

I certainly don't sit up nights fuming over it, however.  That's reserved for whoever decided to put The View on the air.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 11:19:57 PM by LadyKenobi »

Offline trickfred

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Klaatu, Barada, Nnn...ahemhem.
    • stellarmatter.net
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2006, 11:45:08 PM »
Me personally? Titanic and Jurassic Park. I refuse to watch them, because they beat out Episode IV on the top 10 box office list.

I really don't want to come off as a jerk, but hating something because it made more money than something else, especially when you have no financial connection to either of said things, is one of the most absurd things in the world. Do you really harbor that much envy? And do you let that envy determine which movies you like and don't like? There are plenty of reasons to not like Titanic and Jurassic Park, (Though I must say I'm partial to Jurassic Park personally. It has this tragic, sarcatic edge that redeems it, similar to RoboCop), you don't need to hate them because they made a ton of money.

And besides, you don't even have your facts straight. Jurassic Park never outearned Star Wars. You're thinking of ET. And with the Special Edition Re-release in 1997, Star Wars regained the then-#1 all-time spot from ET. Titanic came along after that.

If you don't count the money from the 1997 Re-release, Star Wars has since been out-earned by Shrek 2, (Which also out-earned ET), and Episode I of all things. Jurassic Park has since been outearned by Spider-Mans 1 & 2, Return of the King, Episode III, and Passion of the Christ.

I'm wondering if your Jurassic Park-hatery isn't a bit misplaced, hmm?

You also seem to have missed the point of this thread.

I never said it was rational, and I did state that other movies had also beaten Ep. IV at the box office.

That said, you do kinda come off as a bit of a jerk. People have their reasons for doing/not doing things all the time. Some people don't shop at Wal-Mart, because they put mom & pop stores out of business. Some people don't eat meat, because they believe in animal rights. Some people won't read comic books because they think they're exclusively for children. And other people may think all of those reasons are silly.

Is it really going to make you lose sleep at night if I chose not to watch two movies because of a silly reason, like ten years ago, and now just really have no desire to see them anyways, regardless of whether or not I still held that particular grudge against them?

I'm wondering if your comments were a little overzealous, hmm?

Edit:

Star Wars Worldwide Gross: $797,900,000
Jurassic Park Worldwide Gross: $920,100,000

Source: http://www.the-numbers.com/
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 12:03:13 AM by trickfred »
"I'm an opinionated jerk. You can be too; ask me how!"

Offline ZachsMind

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Send out a probe. Make it anal.
    • ZachsMind
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 12:02:25 AM »
I really don't want to come off as a jerk...
...you do kinda come off as a bit of a jerk...

*blink*

I LIKE PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY SAMMICHES!

*smile*

And with that cryptic comment I'm going to bed.
My wishlist: Leonard Part 6, Gigli, Shanghai Surprise, Mannequin, Supercross, Spice World, Pluto Nash, Angel Heart, Ghost Dad, Flashdance, Home Alone, Lifeforce, Maximum Overdrive, Phantasm, Poltergeist 3, Pretty Woman, Robocop, Sixth Sense

Movies I don't want Riff'd
any Tom Cruise movies. Yuck

Offline Joe Don Faker

• Big Montana
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2006, 12:56:53 AM »
Quote from: ZachsMind
Silence of the Lambs. Glad to have seen it once. Don't wanna see it again. Don't like movies that make serial killers anti-heroes. Hopkins did a great job though acting-wise gotta grant him that.

I appreciated SOTL, but can understand the sentiment about not wanting to somehow condone or encourage serial killer mystique.

And when you study some of these real-life killers, it becomes apparent that the "super intelligent" quality is for the most part pretty absent.  In its place is ruthlessness and dumb luck.

Still, a well-drawn and memorable movie character.

Moving on, I hated Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula.  But it seems I had a lot of company in that feeling.  It's one of the few times I wanted to leave the theater in the middle of a movie.  But I was with a group, in the middle of the row, and the guy next to me had Spree, so I stayed.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2006, 05:49:25 AM »
American Beauty, Royal Tanembaums and most Tom Hanks movies.

TV rant.

I hate all those right-wing Law & Order shows, such poorly written shite.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2006, 04:46:33 PM »
Don't get me started on the f'n Lord of the Rings trilogy. Don't get me wrong, I loved the book, but Peter Jackson's interpretation is one of the most God-awful wastes of celluloid I have ever seen. This guy has always been a total hack, and his fans make me sick with their over-glorification of the trash he continues to put out year after year. ANOTHER remake of "King Kong"? The original was absolutely perfect!
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline Isaac S.

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 5
  • The Gun Alarm Clock: You Snooze, You Lose.
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2006, 07:27:21 PM »
Oh, yeah, I also hated King Kong!  I loved LOTR, though.  Except the 64 endings for Return of the King.  I never once stayed awake through that whole movie in theaters, and I saw it three times!

Offline Tarantulas

• Liked: 3
  • #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2006, 07:29:55 PM »
I'm just not a fan of the Harry Potter movies.  I admit that I did not read the books, but the movies just seem fairly rushed in their pacing considering that the books rank somewhere need NYC phonebooks on page count.

I had to turn off the last one..  What are those kids, in their 30's by now?

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
    • BlondeChampagne
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2006, 09:37:22 PM »
Here's another one:  Wizard of Oz.

I work with jockeys from time to time, so I should at least like the Munchkin parts, but... no.  Just too, too freaky for my tastes.

Offline Chelle

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Ooooh! Navy Seals!!!
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2006, 02:26:55 AM »
I'm just not a fan of the Harry Potter movies.  I admit that I did not read the books, but the movies just seem fairly rushed in their pacing considering that the books rank somewhere need NYC phonebooks on page count.

I had to turn off the last one..  What are those kids, in their 30's by now?

You'll find Harry Potter fans who despise the movies with the intensity of a thousand burning suns. Me? I could take 'em or leave 'em.

Sidenote: the kid who plays Harry is set to be the lead in a new London production of Equus. From flying around on a broomstick to ritualistic horse-blindings. They DO grow up fast these days. ::sniff::

A movie I hate that no one else seems to? Big Fish, which is really really pathetic because I tried to like the movie. I'll watch pretty much anything with Ewan McGregor in it. I subjected myself to The Island and the Star Wars prequels just to see him, but I couldn't stand Big Fish after a while.

Offline Rube_Maroon

• Schnappi Supporter
  • You guys watch Joe Don Baker movies?
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2006, 02:36:26 AM »

I work with jockeys from time to time

That's hot.

Offline Tarantulas

• Liked: 3
  • #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2006, 09:20:15 AM »
What about "Return to OZ"? 

I remember liking it as a kid.  You think they would have cranked out some action figures or something.