login

Author Topic: Concert movies  (Read 9811 times)

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1
Re: Concert movies
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 02:49:41 PM »
my dad does them

http://robertmugge.com
Damn. I've never seen any of those, but looking at his catalogue, it's the kind of music that needs desperately to be preserved in some form- Blues and Zydeco and underground Americana- since it seems like it's being drowned out by all the utterly crap pop and Clear Channel stuff that's unavoidable... well, ok, it's pretty much been around since before I was born, but you know what I mean.

Tell your father I friggin' salute his work.

I'll atleast pretend to.... (edit - not trying to be a dick, just of course I'm told to tell him stuf like that a lot from people neither of us have ever met though he does appreciate fans)

But yeah, it's sorta interesting some of the stuff he even gets funded, like the Sun Ra film which apparently now is a cult classic and according to him (in my words) is selling used on amazon for MST3K: The Movie prices

though I know funding isn't that easy, Starz only put $200,000 into New Orleans Music In Exile  :D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 07:26:49 AM by pyro »

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 08:20:27 AM »
Hell yeah!  A chance for me to brag about something that is somewhat related to a thread!

Who concert!  Floor seats!  Ninth row!  Tonight!  Will start thread to tell you all about it!  w00t!!!
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 10:55:28 AM »
Have fun. They were awesome when I saw them, but that was back when Entwistle was alive. I hope they still rock. Endless Wire is a pretty good cd.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 0
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2006, 05:04:53 AM »
Best concert movie ever made:

This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2006, 06:50:55 PM »
Hell yeah!  A chance for me to brag about something that is somewhat related to a thread!

Who concert!  Floor seats!  Ninth row!  Tonight!  Will start thread to tell you all about it!  w00t!!!

Holy shit!  Jealous face. >:(

I considered getting tickets, but I just don't have the woolongs to spare.

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 11:48:45 AM »
Best concert movie ever made:

I was going to ask how it is, but I guessed you already answered that......

I keep catching Zappa references in MST3K and rifftrax recently

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 01:06:49 PM »

And guess what?  It was GREAT!!! ;D

My only regret is that Roger had bronchitis and they had to shorten the show as a result, but he gave 157% on vocals.

The first three songs they played would best be described as "fantasmorgasmicalotabulaxtraorditastic" - on par with Live at Leeds, imo.  They started with "I Can't Explain," "The Seeker," and "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" - and it hardly let down from there.  Everything from the new mini-opera to the segue into "The Naked Eye" right after "My Generation" was spectacular.  If only the concert had been a bit longer...
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2006, 03:40:32 AM »

And guess what?  It was GREAT!!! ;D

My only regret is that Roger had bronchitis and they had to shorten the show as a result, but he gave 157% on vocals.

The first three songs they played would best be described as "fantasmorgasmicalotabulaxtraorditastic" - on par with Live at Leeds, imo.  They started with "I Can't Explain," "The Seeker," and "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" - and it hardly let down from there.  Everything from the new mini-opera to the segue into "The Naked Eye" right after "My Generation" was spectacular.  If only the concert had been a bit longer...

That's awesome. The Seeker's one of my favorite songs. I hope I can see them before, well, you know.

Offline JonnyFrag

• Big Montana
  • Bad Movie Historian
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2006, 06:43:14 AM »
While not a concert film in the same sense as the rest here I submit a kind of obscure gem:

Get Crazy  starring Malcom McDowell and Daniel Stern

Its very hard to find, not on DVD, but used to get play on HBO and Cinemax back in the 80s. If you have seen it, then you know what I'm talking about. If not, then try to figure out a way to see it. It's worth it. Even has a cameo (a rather extended one thorughout the movie) of Lou Reed!

Oh, and as a 'metalhead' I would agree that S&M is a fantastic recording! Great idea and well executed! They just took back the thunder stolen by Apocalyptica , which is good also.

Grapes? I hate grapes, I can't stand grapes. I loathe grapes. All kinds of grapes. I hate green grapes and I hate purple grapes. I hate grapes with seeds, I hate grapes without seeds. I hate them peeled and nonpeeled. I hate them in bunches, one at a time and in small groups of twos and threes.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2006, 05:45:26 AM »
While it's a documentary more than a concert film, I feel I must mention Gigantic: A Tale Of Two Johns. Where's the love for They Might Be Giants?

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2006, 06:01:39 AM »
While I haven't seen any of the others in this thread Queen Live at Wembly is so amazingly awesome and depressing at the same time. They kicked so much ass. And John Deacon has terrible terrible taste in clothes. Depressing because of Freddy's 'Queen until we die' speech, when you know he must have known.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 06:03:14 AM by BathTub »

Offline davo

• Magneto-cent Member
  • are you asking for a challlllenge?!!!!1!1!one!!1!
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2006, 06:50:41 PM »
Seriously, though, has everyone here seen Stop Making Sense? I didn't even really know anything about the Talking Heads when I first saw it, and it quickly became one of my favorite movies and they became one of my favorite bands. If you haven't seen it, find it and do so. It's really, really, really good.

Also the Last Waltz, but that one couldn't help being good with the bands lined up in it.

yep, saw it in the day and loved it.

dunno if i have a favorite because of artistic merit.  i loved gary numan: living ornaments '79 & '80,but that's because of the great set/set list/etc, not the directing.

sisters of mercy: wake (live royal albert hall, 1985) is really good. won concert film of the year in the UK that year.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2006, 09:12:02 PM »
1991: THE YEAR PUNK BROKE - "Take a trip with Sonic Youth and Nirvana as they stumble through their 1991 European club festival tour!" What more needs to be said. (not on dvd yet... as far as I know?)

PEARL JAM TOURING BAND 2000 - 27 plus songs from various concerts by rock's greatest live band (some of you music junkies might remember this is the year that pearl jam broke billboard records by releasing a cd-album of EVERY show)

PEARL JAM SINGLE VIDEO THEORY - An amazing documentary that shows the creation of the Yield album (they recorded the songs "live" meaning that the final cd/dvd is made up of the best of the best "whole" songs... no loops, edits, etc.

Also, although not a big Metalica fan, there's a really good documentary for St. Anger, not sure if St. Anger is the title of the doc, but I highly recommend this and the above movies I suggested.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2006, 10:37:19 PM »
PEARL JAM TOURING BAND 2000 - 27 plus songs from various concerts by rock's greatest live band (some of you music junkies might remember this is the year that pearl jam broke billboard records by releasing a cd-album of EVERY show)

I could never decide if that idea was awesome or retarded. I know I'd love a CD of most concerts I've been to, but from a logistics standpoint, manoman.

Also, although not a big Metalica fan, there's a really good documentary for St. Anger, not sure if St. Anger is the title of the doc, but I highly recommend this and the above movies I suggested.

It's called Metallica - Some Kind Of Monster: The Making Of The Worst Album Ever.  ;D

I also recommend the newly-on-DVD U2 - Zoo TV Live From Sydney. (I haven't actually picked up the DVD yet, but I do own a well-worn VHS version of the concert.) Not only does it feature some great performances of the band's best songs up through Achtung Baby, but it's also a fun/distrubing look at Bono gone batshit insane with fame. (Yes, folks, the Bono of present day is actually toned down.) Witness the antics of Mr. MacPhisto:

Offline leeving

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Take it from me. I love you!
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2007, 12:40:11 PM »
Seriously, though, has everyone here seen Stop Making Sense? I didn't even really know anything about the Talking Heads when I first saw it, and it quickly became one of my favorite movies and they became one of my favorite bands. If you haven't seen it, find it and do so. It's really, really, really good.

I agree that Stop Making Sense is the best Live concert movie.  Talking Heads is among my top 3 bands (XTC and Tool being the other 2...yeah it's a weird mix).  I most recently picked up the dual-disc brick set off ebay.  Talking Heads in 5.1 is the way they are meant to be heard.