login

Author Topic: WOOOO! I just beat ________!!!!!  (Read 97898 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
Re: WOOOO! I just beat ________!!!!!
« Reply #690 on: July 06, 2019, 10:24:49 AM »
Cadence of Hyrule.  It was... ok.  It wasn't what I was expecting.  I really enjoyed Crypt of the Necrodancer, despite the fact that I never actually beat it, so I was looking forward to this one.  But I didn't realize that it was no longer a rougelike, which really took away from the experience.  You keep all your weapons and items after you die, and there are no randomly generated maps.  So once you get a weapon you like, there's no reason to use anything else.  And the game becomes rather easy as you gain more and more hearts and potions.  It allows you to brute force your way through most situations, and not really pay attention to the beat or the monster's attack patterns.  Where in CotN you had to really get the timing down to proceed. 

But I guess I really like the concept of rougelikes, and playing something over and over until you get a good run.  If you don't like rougelikes, but enjoy the strange rythm combat of CotN, then you'll probably enjoy this more than I did.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #691 on: July 07, 2019, 03:42:01 AM »
Cadence of Hyrule.  It was... ok.  It wasn't what I was expecting.  I really enjoyed Crypt of the Necrodancer, despite the fact that I never actually beat it, so I was looking forward to this one.  But I didn't realize that it was no longer a rougelike, which really took away from the experience.  You keep all your weapons and items after you die, and there are no randomly generated maps.  So once you get a weapon you like, there's no reason to use anything else.  And the game becomes rather easy as you gain more and more hearts and potions.  It allows you to brute force your way through most situations, and not really pay attention to the beat or the monster's attack patterns.  Where in CotN you had to really get the timing down to proceed. 

But I guess I really like the concept of rougelikes, and playing something over and over until you get a good run.  If you don't like rougelikes, but enjoy the strange rythm combat of CotN, then you'll probably enjoy this more than I did.

Sounds like I will the exact opposite experience of you and I should pick it up after all...
FINE

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5138
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #692 on: July 07, 2019, 09:24:42 AM »
Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels.

Like, I have played harder games but this feels unfair in sections, messing with players with lots of invisible blocks necessary to proceed and only trial and error can help in a game with so few lives.  Doki Doki Panic really was the better Mario 2 game.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2646
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #693 on: July 08, 2019, 09:32:22 PM »
Finished all the levels in Ancient Planet, last one took a long time, the last boss was different that everything that came before in the game so figuring out what towers to use took many tries.  And of course that level has the most waves, so each try took a while.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 166
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #694 on: July 09, 2019, 12:33:37 PM »
Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels.

Like, I have played harder games but this feels unfair in sections, messing with players with lots of invisible blocks necessary to proceed and only trial and error can help in a game with so few lives.  Doki Doki Panic really was the better Mario 2 game.

Agree with this over 9000%. Nintendo did the right thing in the 1980's by giving North America a reskinned Doki Doki Panic as opposed to the viciously, nightmarishly hard Japanese version. While this made many people bitter and hate the American version such that they thought it was "not a real Mario game", its influence on the Mario series cannot be understated. For instance, the American SMB2 brought us Bob-Ombs which were immediately brought back in Super Mario Bros. 3. In future Mario spinoff (such as Mario Tennis and Mario RPG) games, Birdo and Shyguys make appearances. The American Super Mario Bros. 2 may have been a black sheep but it was not unfair to the game player and it did have historical significance.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #695 on: July 16, 2019, 10:50:16 AM »
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, with every subquest, dish, boss, and almost all of the map fulfilled (including DLC). I can't wait until the update so I have more stuff to conquer!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5138
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #696 on: July 17, 2019, 08:07:18 AM »
It took some getting used to but... Tecmo Bowl is a very fun game.  Finally beat all the teams and won the Tecmo Bowl.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #697 on: July 22, 2019, 01:56:36 PM »
I just beat The Messenger!  Took me 30 hours total, so probably 20-25 for someone who knows what they're doing.

Fantastic game, but way WAY longer than I was expecting. The first half or so of the game plays like Ninja Gaiden. You get to what is "clearly" the final boss, only to find out you're not even halfway done. The game goes "Psych! You're actually playing a Metroidvania!" The game has several of these false endings where you think "This time for sure is the end of the game" And then it just keeps going. My only real complaint is that the Metroidvania part isn't as well structured as the Ninja Gaiden part. It's often not at all obvious what you're supposed to do next.

But if you like action platformers than this is a must buy IMHO. $20 on Steam. If Celeste hadn't also come out this year I would say this is my favorite game of 2019. Still working on Bloodstained, so that may change.

Oh, they just added some DLC, which I haven't tried yet.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5713
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #698 on: July 22, 2019, 07:18:05 PM »
I just beat The Messenger!  Took me 30 hours total
Really? I just shot her.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Z6obUJYlIxk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Z6obUJYlIxk</a>

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #699 on: July 23, 2019, 08:34:30 AM »
I just beat The Messenger!  Took me 30 hours total
Really? I just shot her.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Z6obUJYlIxk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Z6obUJYlIxk</a>

I kept telling the game not to shoot the messenger, but it didn't listen.

There was one thing that really bugged me about this game: The plot, such as it is, makes no sense whatsoever. It's clear they designed the game first, and shoehorned in a story at the last minute. There's a huge exposition dump right before the last level that "explains" what the hell has been going on the whole time. By the time I beat the final boss I had already forgotten it.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #700 on: July 27, 2019, 05:08:11 PM »
Pikuniku. What a goddamn delightful game.
FINE

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #701 on: August 08, 2019, 04:37:31 PM »
Beat Bloodstained.  I thought it was just ok.  The combat was pretty good, and exploring was interesting, but the story was crazy boring to the point where I could barely pay attention to the cut scenes and I never read any of the flavor text drops.  Which was fine except for two key areas where I got stuck because I had no idea what to do.  I'm assuming there must have been hints in all that boring text somewhere. 

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #702 on: August 13, 2019, 05:06:20 PM »
I beat The Journeyman Project trilogy, i.e. Pegasus Prime, Buried in Time, and Legacy of Time in that order. Other than Pegasus Prime, which was a remake of the first game I never played, playing these games were not fresh experiences, but it was great walking down Memory Lane again...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 05:13:54 PM by Iron Curtain »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #703 on: August 15, 2019, 12:20:31 PM »
Beat Bloodstained.  I thought it was just ok.  The combat was pretty good, and exploring was interesting, but the story was crazy boring to the point where I could barely pay attention to the cut scenes and I never read any of the flavor text drops.  Which was fine except for two key areas where I got stuck because I had no idea what to do.  I'm assuming there must have been hints in all that boring text somewhere.
The way I see it, when you're playing a game like Bloodstained it's perfectly okay for story to take a backseat to gameplay. That's what I've always been about anyway is gameplay. All I really need is just a general narrative. Example: Contra: Alien invasion - Blow stuff up, beat bosses. Castlevania: Whip monsters, kill Dracula. Megaman - Steal powers, beat mad scientist. Dead or Alive - Bodacious big boobed babes beat bad bosses. Metroid - A loving tribute to the Alien series.

Now there are exceptions to this rule, like in a game like any Final Fantasy game story is absolutely necessary.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 511
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #704 on: August 15, 2019, 04:44:26 PM »
The way I see it, when you're playing a game like Bloodstained it's perfectly okay for story to take a backseat to gameplay. That's what I've always been about anyway is gameplay. All I really need is just a general narrative. Example: Contra: Alien invasion - Blow stuff up, beat bosses. Castlevania: Whip monsters, kill Dracula. Megaman - Steal powers, beat mad scientist. Dead or Alive - Bodacious big boobed babes beat bad bosses. Metroid - A loving tribute to the Alien series.

Now there are exceptions to this rule, like in a game like any Final Fantasy game story is absolutely necessary.

Problem was that it wasn't an attempt to recreate the Castlevania experience. It tried to have an interesting story, and failed.