login

Author Topic: backmasking  (Read 6130 times)

Offline darkchashy

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 3
  • beware strangers baring gifs
backmasking
« on: August 08, 2008, 09:19:41 PM »
real or imagined and extra points for anyone who can figure out how to reverse popular mst3k songs!!!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HUy5OlreWWA&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HUy5OlreWWA&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 01:07:06 AM by darkchashy »
that's just how we ride.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 847
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Re: backmasking
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 11:04:54 PM »
I think that if you just listened to it without the lyrics pre-printed you wouldn't hear half the stuff that is supposedly being said.

Feel free to try to find some hidden messages in these:

www.bigmeanpunk.com/mp3/MST3K-CanadaSong.mp3

www.bigmeanpunk.com/mp3/MST3K-Theme.mp3

Let me know what you come up with!

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 11:28:54 AM »
Actually it sounds like he's singing "nevaeh ot yawriats a gniyub s'ehs dna" to me.

Offline Natureboy

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
  • Intelligent, Sensational
    • Easy Talk Cafe
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 12:09:45 PM »
real or imagined and extra points for anyone who can figure out how to reverse popular mst3k songs!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUy5OlreWWA

The Stairway to Heaven backmasking is real.......That was the time frame when Jimmy Page was into all of that Aliester Crowley bullcrap.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 12:21:25 PM »
This is such old news. I remember hearing it backward when I was in the 7th grade. Or was it 6th? It was probably around 1989 or so.

When you listen closely to the lyrics in forward mode, it does sound like Plant is singing them rather oddly, and backwards it does seem to say a few words, but not the way the dude interprets them in the video.

It just seems like a lot of trouble to put something in the song that no one could really hear. But it is true that Page was heavily into Alistair Crowley back in the day. It's still a damn good song, though.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 12:31:30 PM »
Despite his use of 666 (which in any case does not represent Satan) and the like Crowley was not a Satanist, his works deal with other gods from time to time but Satan isn't one of them*. Page was indeed into Crowley, not sure if he still owns Boleskine House or not, but anyone who was would have put significantly more thelemic references in a secret message rather than cod satanic bollocks like the creator of the vid proports to hear (and other similar messages deduced in the backwards version of Stairway).

* And even those he mentions he really didn't care for

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 12:34:00 PM by Earth President Richard M. Nixon »

Offline Natureboy

• Big Montana
    • Easy Talk Cafe
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 12:45:50 PM »
If you are looking for backmasking, the Beatles were the masters at it.

Now, be careful....youtube has a lot of bullshit backmasking, like the Britney Spears one that is floating around there.  The represent that on Baby...one more time, when you play it backwards it says "Sleep with me, I'm not too young".

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 12:52:02 PM »
If you are looking for backmasking, the Beatles were the masters at it.

True, they were among the first to utilize backwards music and vocals in their production.  But virtually none of it sounds anything like what it is purported to be.  Even the stuff in Revolution 9 is mostly just Lennon reciting nonsense.

Offline Natureboy

• Big Montana
    • Easy Talk Cafe
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 01:30:02 PM »
Well, in Revolution 9, I have a bootleg of the entire Revolution 9 backwards and some of the backmasking is very clear.

forwards -  Number 9, Number 9, Number 9
backwards - Turn me on, Dead Man! Turn me on, Dead Man!

One of the noises before Don't Pass Me By when played backwards says "Paul is dead now, miss him miss him miss him.

There are a few others from different albums:  Magical Mystery Tour's Blue Jay Way where George is singing "Please don't be long" and backwards it says "Paul is bloody, Paul is very, very bloody"

But you are right about some of the Paul is dead clues being not what some people's brain think they hear....for instance, At the end of Strawberry Fields Forever, the long standing rumor before the final fade out was John saying "I buried Paul", but if you listen to Anthology 2, he clearly says "Cranberry Sauce" in a real thick cockney accent.   

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 02:47:16 PM »
Well, in Revolution 9, I have a bootleg of the entire Revolution 9 backwards and some of the backmasking is very clear.

I've been listening to Revolution 9 backwards since I was a kid, and whether that's clear or not is debatable.  One thing that is clear is that "Number 9" is the forward vocal, while "Turn me on, dead man" is the (happenstance?) sound of the reversed sample.  That's in obvious contrast to other backwards vocal samples in the track, such as "a fine natural imbalance... the Watusi... the Twist... Eldorado."

Honestly, you could find any number of phrases that sound sort of like "Number 9" does when played backwards.  And unless somebody has a very compelling reason as to why "Turn me on, dead man" makes a lick of sense, I remain unconvinced.

One of the noises before Don't Pass Me By when played backwards says "Paul is dead now, miss him miss him miss him.

That clip is actually at the end of I'm So Tired, before the start of Blackbird.  I've heard the "Paul is dead" interpretation, but to my ears it sounds much less like "Paul is dead now" than "Think I'll go to bed now," which actually makes a lot more sense given the song it follows.

There are a few others from different albums:  Magical Mystery Tour's Blue Jay Way where George is singing "Please don't be long" and backwards it says "Paul is bloody, Paul is very, very bloody"

I hadn't actually heard of this one before, so I just went and checked it out.  Like most of the other rumors, it's a major reach.  Sounds more like "Calling George Noory" to me.

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 03:03:47 PM »
Let me know when you guys are ready to discuss the meaning behind Missy Elliot's "It's werf if a men a nuh nerf it".

Offline Natureboy

• Big Montana
    • Easy Talk Cafe
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 03:54:37 PM »

I've been listening to Revolution 9 backwards since I was a kid, and whether that's clear or not is debatable.  One thing that is clear is that "Number 9" is the forward vocal, while "Turn me on, dead man" is the (happenstance?) sound of the reversed sample.  That's in obvious contrast to other backwards vocal samples in the track, such as "a fine natural imbalance... the Watusi... the Twist... Eldorado."

Honestly, you could find any number of phrases that sound sort of like "Number 9" does when played backwards.  And unless somebody has a very compelling reason as to why "Turn me on, dead man" makes a lick of sense, I remain unconvinced.

That clip is actually at the end of I'm So Tired, before the start of Blackbird.  I've heard the "Paul is dead" interpretation, but to my ears it sounds much less like "Paul is dead now" than "Think I'll go to bed now," which actually makes a lot more sense given the song it follows.

I hadn't actually heard of this one before, so I just went and checked it out.  Like most of the other rumors, it's a major reach.  Sounds more like "Calling George Noory" to me.

When I go into my box of cd's I will look for my Paul is Dead radio shows and burn you a copy and mail it to you.  These were shows from the 1970's when the clues to his demise were rampant.  There is a book you might enjoy on the subject:  The Walrus was Paul by R. Gary Patterson that goes much deeper in this.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 05:53:42 PM »
Let me know when you guys are ready to discuss the meaning behind Missy Elliot's "It's werf if a men a nuh nerf it".

I've gone way past the point of attempting to understand thick ethnic accents...

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 08:03:54 AM »
Hehe.  Paul dead.  That's so cute.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist