Author Topic: Mysterious Lowtax Announcement: Details to come eventually  (Read 16469 times)

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
Re: Mysterious Lowtax Announcement: Details to come eventually
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2006, 09:35:37 AM »
I don't know how I feel about this development.  I knew that eventually there would be non MST3K-related guest riffers, but I didn't think it would be some sort of web pseudo celebrity doing it. 

I'm not too familiar with this guy, other than that he did that Mike Nelson interview for his website and he had that "fight" with Uwe Boll. 

The one thing I would really hate is if they were to have a web "celebrity" as a guest riffer and it turned out to be one of these web schmucks that think they are far more important than they actually are due to whatever limited success their websites have.  I don't really know about Lowtax, so I don't know if he falls into that category.  I would hope not.

All that said, I think it would be reasonable to presume that the movie he would riff on would be Bloodrayne.  Nothing else would make sense (besides maybe another Uwe Boll film).

Another thing is that I would not be interested in is a Rifftrax without an MST3K alumnus involved.  A Lowtax solo rifftrax would equal a no-sale from me.
Lowtax is actually pretty self-effacing and funny, most of the time. He's actually not my favorite Something Awful writer (for one thing, he was only in on one Fashion Swat) but I think he's probably quick witted enough to share a track with Mike and not look like a jerk (I realize they aren't doing the riffs extemporaneously, but someone who was rather dull still wouldn't be able to pull it off, imo.) In any case, there's no real reason to think that's what he's doing other than that it's the most obvious BIG ANNOUNCEMENT possibility.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2006, 10:08:58 AM »
Yeah he's the webmaster of a fairly funny site, that has actually become a bit of an internet institution by now.

But yeah, clearly it is the obvious announcement, so that is what makes me not so sure now.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2006, 10:23:05 AM »
I feel sorry for the guy. No matter how good he does, there are gonna be some people who decide they hate him.

Much like Mike, I'm sure, when he took the MST3K reins. :^)

MontyServo

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2006, 10:29:43 AM »
I feel sorry for the guy. No matter how good he does, there are gonna be some people who decide they hate him.

Much like Mike, I'm sure, when he took the MST3K reins. :^)

I hope that my post didn't give that impression.  While I'm certain there would a few haters out there that would mainly be jealous of the lucky guest riffer, I'm certainly willing to give a new riffer a chance (under most circumstances).  And I trust Mike and staff to only bring on those who can bring on the funny.

I still wouldn't buy a solo Rifftrax from a non MST3K guest riffer.  At least not until that guest riffer is well established as a funny mofo and as a valued member of the Rifftrax family.  Then I might consider it.   :P

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2006, 10:36:28 AM »
Naw. Wasn't referring to any of the posts so far (Which have been cautiously optimistic). Was just saying that the guy's doomed to have people who have no better criticism other than, "He's never been on MST3K!" :^)

MontyServo

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2006, 10:39:19 AM »
Naw. Wasn't referring to any of the posts so far (Which have been cautiously optimistic). Was just saying that the guy's doomed to have people who have no better criticism other than, "He's never been on MST3K!" :^)

This is not MST3K 2.0!

sorry, had to say it.   ;D

Offline JohnH

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2006, 02:51:27 AM »
I think the best thing about a SA guy being guess riffer is that it would increase the chances that somehow Lore Sjoberg might be asked to riff.  That would be three different flavors of awesome... maybe four, even.

Offline shortstack

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
  • There's no coffee in Nilbog.It's the devil's drink
    • Nerd is the Word
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2006, 06:48:15 AM »
I don't know how I feel about this development.  I knew that eventually there would be non MST3K-related guest riffers, but I didn't think it would be some sort of web pseudo celebrity doing it. 

I'm not too familiar with this guy, other than that he did that Mike Nelson interview for his website and he had that "fight" with Uwe Boll. 

The one thing I would really hate is if they were to have a web "celebrity" as a guest riffer and it turned out to be one of these web schmucks that think they are far more important than they actually are due to whatever limited success their websites have.  I don't really know about Lowtax, so I don't know if he falls into that category.  I would hope not.

All that said, I think it would be reasonable to presume that the movie he would riff on would be Bloodrayne.  Nothing else would make sense (besides maybe another Uwe Boll film).

Another thing is that I would not be interested in is a Rifftrax without an MST3K alumnus involved.  A Lowtax solo rifftrax would equal a no-sale from me.

That's basically how I feel about it.  Besides, if there are going to be any web-celebrity guest riffers, I'd rather have one (or both!) of the Brothers Chaps.  ;)

Or better yet, just have Strongbad as a guest riffer.

Can you tell I'm dangerously sleep-deprived?
"I have no sense of decency...that way my other senses are enhanced."

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
    • BlondeChampagne
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2006, 08:04:41 AM »
I would be downtrodden at the news of any non-MST alum doing a Rifftrax because I just couldn't get over my insane jealousy :)

I just wish there were more Mike solo stuff.

Seconded.

Offline SaucyRossy

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2006, 11:10:36 AM »
If the person is funny and original than I say it's a great thing to have them as a guest riffer....who cares if they are web famous or not part of the MST3K gang....

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2006, 11:36:21 AM »

That's basically how I feel about it.  Besides, if there are going to be any web-celebrity guest riffers, I'd rather have one (or both!) of the Brothers Chaps.  ;)

Or better yet, just have Strongbad as a guest riffer.

Can you tell I'm dangerously sleep-deprived?
Actually, Matt Chapman might be pretty good- he and his brother came to my school (UCF) a couple of years ago and were pretty hilarious. Also, they lost the audio track for one of the videos they took, so Matt did a new one extemporaneously, and it was completely awesome. If that isn't a qualification for being able to riff, I don't know what is.

It might be harder to be funny as yourself when you're used to saying things through established characters, though.

Offline FBX

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2006, 10:03:44 PM »
I'd buy it, even if it sucked.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 10:08:28 PM by FBX »

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1547
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2006, 11:28:21 PM »
I'd buy it, even if it sucked.

So much for capitalism....

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2006, 01:30:11 AM »
Well capitalism pretty much says we'll buy things if we're willing and able. The low price ensures ability, and the love of MST3K provides the willingness. So yeah. We're willing to waste money for the cause and able to because it's not much.

Offline WouTar

• Big Montana
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2006, 01:59:37 AM »
Well capitalism pretty much says we'll buy things if we're willing and able.

And who do you think makes sure that things stay that way, Derek?

"...MUGATU!"

We're not doing this anymore?