Author Topic: 2008 NFL Season Begins August 3!!  (Read 49919 times)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: 2008 NFL Season Begins August 3!!
« Reply #645 on: January 20, 2009, 11:44:58 AM »
Looks like the Rams will be stealing a Panther coach to be defensive coordinator.    Sorry RVR II

The St. Louis Rams are expected to hire Philadelphia Eagles quarterbacks coach, Pat Shurmur, as their offensive coordinator, a league source told Scout.com.

Shurmur has been working with the quarterbacks with Philadelphia since 2002.

Shurmur has worked closely with Donovan McNabb since 2002 and team sources said Shurmur did a nice job with McNabb, A.J. Feeley, and Jeff Garcia over his seven years coaching the quarterbacks.

Scout.com also has learned St. Louis is expected to hire Carolina Panthers linebackers coach, Ken Flajole, as their new defensive coordinator

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3782
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #646 on: January 20, 2009, 11:48:02 AM »
So Long as you don't get Mike Trgovac, You should do well :o

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #647 on: January 26, 2009, 05:13:25 PM »
Nice! We've filled our Defensive Coordinator positon already.. And no deal for Free Agent Peppers yet.. :o

Panthers hire Meeks to run defense

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Carolina Panthers quickly filled their opening at defensive coordinator, hiring Ron Meeks on Monday to replace Mike Trgovac.

Four days after Trgovac abruptly left after being offered a contract extension, the Panthers turned their struggling defense to Meeks, who spent the past seven seasons running Indianapolis' unit.

While the Colts are best known for their offense, they finished in the top seven in points allowed five times during Meeks' tenure. Indianapolis led the NFL in scoring defense in 2007.

Meeks left Indy after Tony Dungy stepped down as coach at the end of this season.

"He's an outstanding teacher who has enjoyed great success as a coordinator in the league and brings a strong background of coaching championship defenses," said Panthers coach John Fox, who has seen five assistants step down since their upset loss to Arizona in the playoffs.

The 54-year-old Meeks will take over a defense that got worse as this season went on. Carolina allowed 30 or more points in six of its last seven games, including in the 33-13 loss to the Cardinals.

The Panthers may also have to deal with the departure of four-time Pro Bowl defensive end Julius Peppers, an impending free agent who has said he wants to play elsewhere next season.

"This is a great opportunity," Meeks said in a statement. "I have followed the Panthers from my involvement in football and they have done a great job over the years. I expect to continue that success while trying to improve as well."

He'll also have to mesh with Fox, who had taken an active role in Trgovac's defense the past two seasons. Trgovac, who had finished his seventh season on Fox's staff and his sixth year running the defense, turned down a two-year contract extension.

The Panthers went with Meeks instead of pursuing other former head coaches such as Jim Haslett and Herm Edwards, who was a college teammate of Fox.

Meeks began his coaching career at alma mater Arkansas State in 1984 and spent seven seasons in the college ranks before getting a job on Dallas' staff. He served as secondary coach at Cincinnati and Atlanta and later was an assistant for St. Louis' NFC title team in 2001. He moved to Indianapolis a year later.

The Panthers also must replace three more defensive assistants: linebackers coach Ken Flajole, defensive line coach Sal Sunseri and secondary coach Tim Lewis.

Flajole left to become defensive coordinator at St. Louis. Sunseri took a job at Alabama and Lewis become secondary coach at Seattle.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 05:17:27 PM by RVR II »

anais.jude

« Reply #648 on: January 28, 2009, 10:49:44 AM »
um, who's playing in the Super Bowl this year....

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #649 on: January 28, 2009, 10:51:04 AM »
um, who's playing in the Super Bowl this year....
Oh You...

Steelers & Cardinals

Offline Dankbuds

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 2
  • BEEP BEEP Richie!
« Reply #650 on: January 28, 2009, 10:58:44 AM »
I hope that after the superbowl they'll have to update this image...

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #651 on: January 28, 2009, 11:01:31 AM »

You think that the Steelers are going to lose so bad that they'll actually take away their Super Bowl rings?

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Dankbuds

• Magneto-cent Member
  • BEEP BEEP Richie!
« Reply #652 on: January 28, 2009, 02:07:58 PM »

You think that the Steelers are going to lose so bad that they'll actually take away their Super Bowl rings?

-Rude

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 03:02:57 PM by Dankbuds »

Offline Nick

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #653 on: January 28, 2009, 02:11:40 PM »
So anyone ready to make predictions?

Here's mine.

Cardinals - 24
Steelers - 14

Super Bowl MVP: Kurt Warner
Killing me won't bring back your Goddamned honey!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #654 on: January 28, 2009, 02:12:21 PM »

Here's mine.

Cardinals - 24
Steelers - 14

Wouldn't THAT Be Some Shit?! :o

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #655 on: January 28, 2009, 02:12:50 PM »
Why is Sarah Palin demanding one billion dollars? Aside from the fact she needs new shoes obviously.

Offline Dankbuds

• Magneto-cent Member
  • BEEP BEEP Richie!
« Reply #656 on: January 28, 2009, 02:18:02 PM »

Here's mine.

Cardinals - 24
Steelers - 14

Wouldn't THAT Be Some Shit?! :o

Warner is having a good year and he has some good wide receivers as weapons but unless he gets some time to see the field I don't think that will happen. I think (and hope) the Steelers defense will be too much to handle. Plus Steelers run defense is incredible and the Cardinals running backs have had poop yardage this year between their 3 backs: James, Hightower and Arrington

I know that anything can happen but I hope the score is more like: Steelers 24 Cardinals 10

It will be good game though Ken Wisenhunt  and Mike Tomlin are both in their 2nd year of head coach and Ken Wisenhunt was the Steelers offensive coordinator before Mike Tomlin took the reigns from Bill Cowher... So Wisenhunt is familiar with the Steelers defense, infact he and Dick LeBeau ( the Steelers Defensive coordinator ) are still good friends and play golf together regularly
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 02:25:17 PM by Dankbuds »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #657 on: January 31, 2009, 06:54:48 PM »
Alright!
Tomorrow Night's the Super Bowl!

What's on everybody's menu & agenda?? :cheers:

Me, I'll be watching the Big Game on my Big Screen while munching on some wings, beer pretzels, and other stuff, while pounding some brewskies, and maybe some Margaritas! :P

Offline Dankbuds

• Magneto-cent Member
  • BEEP BEEP Richie!
« Reply #658 on: January 31, 2009, 07:03:03 PM »
Alright!
Tomorrow Night's the Super Bowl!

What's on everybody's menu & agenda?? :cheers:

Me, I'll be watching the Big Game on my Big Screen while munching on some wings, beer pretzels, and other stuff, while pounding some brewskies, and maybe some Margaritas! :P

Yeah I'll be chilling at my house watching it. I'll probably get some snacks. I stopped drinking alcohol 5+ years ago after I beat my 2 DUI charges in Columbia SC... RVR as you know that's no easy feat.
But it hasnt stopped me from having a good time, it just keeps me from going out to bars and getting wasted and spending more money than I should... I still plan to have a blast watching the superbowl tomorrow I can't wait...

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #659 on: January 31, 2009, 07:11:25 PM »
Yeah.. Don't do the bar scene hardly anymore.. Not since beating my DUI back in 97..

I used to throw some Hellacious Partys, but since 2001, I've simmered down quite a bit.

Now, it's just me, myself, and I. The wife will be visiting her family in Charlotte, NC tomorrow so I'll have my own solitary party! :cheers: