login

Author Topic: Riffing for cheap bastards...  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • *Platypus Sound*
Riffing for cheap bastards...
« on: July 01, 2008, 08:52:46 PM »
I posted a thread like this a while back.  Basically it's for those on a budget, and while you are impatient to watch Mike Bill and Kevin riff on yet another movie, paydays not for days, perhaps weeks.  Oh you fully intend to buy your own copy of the DVD, but metaphorically speaking, it's just not in the cards, from a financial standpoint, at least not yet.

Well as many of us have discovered, most (but indeed all) VHS versions worrk as a pretty nifty temporary substitute.  So I perused some of the major cable channel in my area to discover what, if any of the movies that Mike & co have riffed are available....

DATE:                                                   TIME:                                    MOVIE TITLE:                                                                 NETWORK:

Wednesday, July 2nd                       8 P.M.                                     Road House                                                             AMC (American Movie Classics)

Thursday,  July 3rd                           12:30 A.M.                                   "                                                                                      "                          "

"                  "                                    5:30 P.M.                                   "                                                                                       "                          ".

Friday,          July 4th                           6 P.M.                                     The Fantastic  Four                                                       FX  Network

Sunday,       July 6th                           8 P.M.                                     The Fifth Element                                                          TNT Network

"                      "                                 10:10  P.M.                                 "                 "                                                                      "           "

Thursday,   July 17th                         10 P.M.                                    Batman And Robin                                                          "           "

Friday,          July 18th                         3 P.M.                                          "                    "                                                                 "            "

Sunday,     July 20th                           2:30 P.M.                                     "                     "                                                                "            "

I will continue to offer updates whenever possible, as new information becomes available.  Each of the networks post schedules a varying lengths.  While AMC posts movies in advance of over a month or more, the Turner Networks, (TNT & TBS) do so in two week increments, and FX does so on a measly week by week basis....

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 33
    • Ortega's Covers
Re: Riffing for cheap bastards...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 09:34:20 PM »
*cough* commercials....

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 09:43:24 PM »
I suppose you could hit the pause button.  You could also tape it.
On timeout

Offline pstokely

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 11:05:14 PM »
Even if you just fast forwarded through the commercials, they are still cut up and edited. If anyone does decide to try this, let us know how it turns out.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 04:48:43 AM »
Yeah, I don't really see this working unless it's for HBO or other premium channels, which would likely mean the budget thing isn't as much of an issue for you.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• *Platypus Sound*
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 12:19:29 PM »
That all depends on your source.  While I was waiting on my copies of SW # 1-3, I copied al tree movies on Spike.

Offline Rude

• Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 01:33:39 PM »
Quote from: Thom_Serveaux
That all depends on your source.  While I was waiting on my copies of SW # 1-3, I copied al tree movies on Spike.

Well, al tree movie are different, of course... Those kinds of movies always sync up!  ;)

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Cosmic Muse

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Dragon of Light
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 02:36:04 PM »
Guys, guys! Why not try riffing the commercials as well. I'm pretty sure there will be a few very atrocious commercials during the breaks that could supply endless Riff potential.
Being a genocidal maniac is not one of my turn ons.

Is it weird to hear the Safety Dance in my head watching Game of Thrones?

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 02:41:40 PM »
Why does the thought "If you can afford cable, why can't you afford the rentals...or used copies?" keep popping into my head?

Offline Cosmic Muse

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Dragon of Light
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 02:49:34 PM »
Why does the thought "If you can afford cable, why can't you afford the rentals...or used copies?" keep popping into my head?

Because with Cable you don't have to really go anywhere to catch a movie. Just click the T.V. on and watch.
Being a genocidal maniac is not one of my turn ons.

Is it weird to hear the Safety Dance in my head watching Game of Thrones?

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • Jacob's blog on, life, the universe...everything!
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 02:52:46 PM »

I'm with you, its cheaper for me to have netflix than cable...which is why I don't have cable.

Offline esoobaC .T bocaJ

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
  • Jolly Snowflake day!!
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 03:09:52 PM »
I tried it once, The Bourne Identity was on USA or something, it worked well, then my ADD kicked in and the next thing I know, I'm watching Cartoon Network
flesyht etah tsum uoy ,flesyht evas oT

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3788
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 06:07:48 PM »
WOOT!

Watching Road House on AMC currently :highfive:

Need to watch the Riff'd version again! :cheers:

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• *Platypus Sound*
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 07:44:12 PM »
Um, because I watch movies other than just the ones that get riffed on netflix.  (when I had it) and all I currently afford is internet.  My mother, whom I take care of, and whose on disability pays for our cable.  So after all that , I don't always have enough every month to buy the DVDs'.  Yes, I said buy, because like my MST3K eps, I like to have them around, cause quite often, what's on cable sucks, and is utterly un-riffable.  That is more of an explanation thatn I've ever given anyone....

...Ever!

Offline pstokely

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 10:50:25 PM »
Sometimes, cable comes with the rent or housing costs.