Author Topic: Riff Raff Theater: Die Hard  (Read 15293 times)

Offline Famous Mortimer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
Re: Riff Raff Theater: Die Hard
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2008, 05:55:41 AM »
There's nothing "rather" about it. Die Hard is and always will be an awesome movie. But that has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not it can be riffed. :)
I tend to disagree, which is why I think the trax for "Batman and Robin" is funnier than the one for "The Fellowship Of The Ring"...but I've had this debate before and down that road lie nothing but pointless circular arguments so I shall say no more.

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2008, 12:13:37 PM »
This one so far has been kind of a mixed bag for me as far as riffing goes.  There are several moments where I got into a bit of a tear and could fire off a whole bunch of riffs, but then great stretches of the movie would go by where I'd just be watching the movie.  It's a good challenge though!  And this is definitely a movie I don't mind revisiting a second time for more writing!

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2008, 06:36:29 AM »
How goes progress?

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2008, 09:32:03 AM »
We're typing up the script as I...uh...type.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2008, 02:20:54 PM »
I'm almost finished with my first pass and I'm not sure I'm gonna do a second one.  About 100 riffs is gonna be all I'll be sending in this time.  There are a couple of jokes that I'll be really sad if they don't make it in the script. 

I don't like riffing on good movies but I'll try anything you guys throw out there provided I can get ahold of the movie easily. 

Offline GregMcduck

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2008, 02:22:20 PM »
Because, really guys. Die Hard?

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2008, 02:27:26 PM »
Because, really guys. Die Hard?

Yippee-ki-yeah, mutherfucker!
On timeout

Offline GregMcduck

• KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2008, 02:38:32 PM »
Which is exactly my point. I fear that people in the theater will want the riffers to shut up so they can enjoy the movie.

• Mr Bungle
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2008, 03:00:03 PM »
Which is exactly my point. I fear that people in the theater will want the riffers to shut up so they can enjoy the movie.

I do not share your fears of them riffing movies that aren't bad.  There are plenty of jokes for this one.
On timeout

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2008, 06:33:07 PM »
There has been a long standing debate about whether or not a "good" movie (or at the very least a "not shitty" one) can be riffed. I'm firmly in the "yes" camp. As far as I'm concerned, riffing on a good movie just adds another level of goodness to it. I can then enjoy both the movie AND the jokes. It's like watching a great movie with my funny best friend.

I loved LOTR, but I loved LOTR with riffs even more.

Die Hard was on my personal list of movies to riff, and I'm glad we ended up choosing it. Even though it's a bit on the old side, it's fairly easy to get ahold of at a reasonable price, so we're confident that people who enjoy our work will pick it up and give it a try. Hopefully, we'll put to rest this whole "you can't riff good movies" thing once and for all. I absolutely love this movie. My wife saw it for the first time with me when we were doing our non-writing run through, and she loved it too. But as usual, we still had a couple of zingers written even just from watching the movie with no pen and paper handy. This is going to be a fun one, scout's honour. :)
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline GregMcduck

• KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2008, 06:45:59 PM »
This isn't even about riffing good movies anymore. This is about riffing a classic movie that people know by heart. I don't think this will work in a live setting for the same reason you guys don't think riffing a live show of Rocky Horror Picture Show would work, because people are going to show up to react to the movie. They'll show up to cheer at the "Yippee-ki-yeah, mutherfucker"s and go "ho-ho-ho" when they read the shirt and do fist pumps and stuff, and there will be poor little Riff Raff Theater will be in a corner, going, "hey, we have a joke for this scene" and the crowd will go "Fuck off, we're watching MOTHERFUCKING DIE HARD!!!"

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2008, 06:53:47 PM »
That's kinda what I was thinking too.  I'd be really, really clear what the show is gonna be in all the promotional stuff for this one.  I don't think there were a ton of people who would show up to watch Speed, Tron or LXG for the joy of seeing it in a theater again.  I bet some people might get excited when they hear Die Hard is gonna be shown and might not be too happy with the show itself. 

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2008, 07:40:11 PM »
This isn't even about riffing good movies anymore. This is about riffing a classic movie that people know by heart. I don't think this will work in a live setting for the same reason you guys don't think riffing a live show of Rocky Horror Picture Show would work, because people are going to show up to react to the movie. They'll show up to cheer at the "Yippee-ki-yeah, mutherfucker"s and go "ho-ho-ho" when they read the shirt and do fist pumps and stuff, and there will be poor little Riff Raff Theater will be in a corner, going, "hey, we have a joke for this scene" and the crowd will go "Fuck off, we're watching MOTHERFUCKING DIE HARD!!!"

As long as it's not you leading the charge... :P
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

• Mr Bungle
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2008, 09:52:08 AM »
Die Hard is not a great movie, it's good.  It's really dated now too.  People don't get excited to see old movies in theaters anymore because people can own old movies and watch them on their extra special home theater system, so I don't think these are concerns that have merit.
On timeout

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2008, 09:53:02 AM »
Die Hard is not a great movie, it's good.  It's really dated now too.  People don't get excited to see old movies in theaters anymore because people can own old movies and watch them on their extra special home theater system, so I don't think these are concerns that have merit.

Thank you, you said it better than what I was about to type out.