Author Topic: Bleep?  (Read 6215 times)

Offline ReiCow

• Riffplayer Developer
  • Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 1
Bleep?
« on: June 21, 2008, 10:26:04 PM »
Why did they bleep a swear word in the rifftrax? Unlike, say, Revenge of the Sith, this is a rated R movie with swear words through the "F" word, so I don't understand the bleep. It was a little jarring.

Moo.

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
Re: Bleep?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 08:02:19 PM »
Its not a biggie.

I was more "jarred" when I heard Sigourney (unnaturally) say "fucker" near the end  ;)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3224
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 08:51:06 AM »
In sith the joke was not hurt by the bleeps, here is was, the bleep was too long, making you think a little too long to fill in what he said, ruining the timing of the joke...

I was more "jarred" when I heard Sigourney (unnaturally) say "fucker" near the end  ;)

I never noticed the way she said that until the guys pointed it out.

Offline Kalle

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
  • What is the Riddle of Steel?
    • Valley of the Crescent Moon
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 12:42:35 PM »

Me neither. I guess that kind of exaggerated intensity (read: overacting) works when you've got your disbelief suspended, but not so much when you're in a more distanced, RiffTrax-watching mode.
Our beliefs are fairly commonplace and simple to understand: Humankind is simply materialised colour operating on the 49th vibration. You would make that conclusion walking down the street or going to the store.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3224
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 08:35:45 PM »
Me neither. I guess that kind of exaggerated intensity (read: overacting) works when you've got your disbelief suspended, but not so much when you're in a more distanced, RiffTrax-watching mode.

Lots of that in this movie, I never really noticed just how much they showed every step of all the running/walking up and down the corridors until the rant about it.  I guess since the guys had to watch it many times in a row those things really stood out, I've tried not to watch it too many times just because of that, every 4 or 5 years lets you forget some of the details....

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1666
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 08:41:03 PM »
maybe they wanted to avoid a high bawdiness rating.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2607
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 10:30:31 PM »

I noticed it, but that might be because I've had an acting class where I've received a note about my cursing sounding unnatural myself.  Might have slipped by me otherwise.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Doktor Sleepless

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 02:45:13 AM »
IRL, every other word is a curse word with me.
Round about now! Since they say! I am the sexiest man in Jamaica!

Offline Kalle

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • What is the Riddle of Steel?
    • Valley of the Crescent Moon
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 03:22:56 AM »

Lots of that in this movie, I never really noticed just how much they showed every step of all the running/walking up and down the corridors until the rant about it.  I guess since the guys had to watch it many times in a row those things really stood out, I've tried not to watch it too many times just because of that, every 4 or 5 years lets you forget some of the details....

You're not wrong. I've seen the movie I don't know how many times, and I never noticed that it was pretty much 50% shoe-leather.
Our beliefs are fairly commonplace and simple to understand: Humankind is simply materialised colour operating on the 49th vibration. You would make that conclusion walking down the street or going to the store.

Offline wiztard01

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 09:32:43 AM »
I actually came here to post this exact thread.
It would stand to reason that an R rated film will have a riff that follows suit in subject matter and language and quite frankly it was so out of place and startling that it took me a few seconds to realize what had happened. I thought I had done something wrong and my computer was yelling at me for being drunk last night.

Please please please dont do that again. I am an adult and can handle a few swear words (one could stand to reason that anyone buying rifftrax is an adult since it requires a credit card and what not)

GLaDOS

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 08:43:49 PM »
IRL, every other word is a curse word with me.
We are the knights of standards and practices! We demand you stop saying the word of curse or you shall awaken the dragon Geldon!

Offline Redclaire

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 12:33:24 PM »
...it took me a few seconds to realize what had happened. I thought I had done something wrong and my computer was yelling at me for being drunk last night.

I thought that too! In fact, I only just realised that it wasn't that! (um, I only just finished watching it, I haven't been wondering on it for months or anything...)
Hmm, I don't feel massively strongly about this, but I agree that if the movie has swearing, why should the trax be censored?

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1261
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 07:16:52 PM »
I know this topic is dead, but I just watched this Rifftrax.

Usually I'm in favor of the bleeps, but in a movie where the characters themsleves say "fuck", having a riffer say it should be acceptable. "Fuck you Ichibod Crane" would have been funnier. Expecially coming from Kevin.