login

Author Topic: Using a pop filter?  (Read 1137 times)

Janitor

Using a pop filter?
« on: June 18, 2008, 04:39:13 AM »

So I'm buying a microphone and I'm wondering if this is a necessity, or a frivolity. Your thoughts?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: Using a pop filter?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 05:32:10 AM »
I picked one up when I bought my microphone, and I think it's been a useful piece.  My first riff was filled with "plosives" very annoying pop noises caused by your breath hitting the mic on hard consonants like P and T.  Not only does a pop filter prevent those, they also protect the mic from moisture (you may not realize how much spit goes flying when you talk, but it can build up)

They're usually not that expensive, but if you have to improvise you can make one from a coat hanger and any thin meshy material.  A voice acting book I picked up actually recommended pantyhose as a cheap substitute.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Invader_quirk

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 06:28:54 AM »
We use pantyhose. Seems to work just fine. I wouldn't spring for anything too fancy.

Janitor

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 08:18:39 AM »
very annoying pop noises caused by your breath hitting the mic on hard consonants like P and T

Yeah I figured as much. I bought a bunch of that foam egg material, the extra bedroom used to have a walk in closet. Now it has a (very ugly) studio.

We use pantyhose. Seems to work just fine. I wouldn't spring for anything too fancy.

What about fancy pantyhose?

Invader_quirk

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 08:58:22 AM »
 :o I hadn't thought of that!