login

Author Topic: PAL version  (Read 19257 times)

Offline thesciphishow

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
Re: PAL version
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2008, 06:29:34 PM »
Hmm it doens't seem to line up very well :(

I guess i'll wait for the offical release.

Jason

Offline Loonatic

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2008, 04:29:33 PM »
So please, any tips if NTSC isn't coming.

If you're using Audacity just go to Effects->Change Tempo and enter 4.271%. That'll convert it from NTSC->PAL.

Good tip, I can never remember the exact numbers needed to change the tempo but that's because I usually change it when transcoding from the original AC-3.

Hmm it doens't seem to line up very well :(

I guess i'll wait for the offical release.

Jason

To be honest, PAL video always seems to give me trouble. That's why if I have a PAL source I usually convert the movie (both video and audio) to NTSC (23.976) and combine it with the NTSC riff. Same process as before, but you'll want to convert the movie audio from 25 to 23.976 instead of the riff, plus you'll need to change the video rate to the same with a utility like VirtualDubMod, which is what I use.

Offline Creepy

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2008, 08:39:59 AM »
C'mon man, why are the popular titles not getting pal versions? I may not be american but I have rights!

Offline MrCyNic

• Blue Beer Drinker
    • My ComicSpace page:
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2008, 08:46:11 AM »
Hi.

Well, if it's any help to anyone, I did the 4.271% tempo change for this, reauthored and the riff synchs up perfectly with the audio. It's a bit of a pain doing it this way for a reauthor, since you have to use a bit of guesswork to determine where the Disembaudio synch lines are going to crop up (I blank the Dis lines and, obviously, the timings given in the riff's text document don't match up after the tempo change).

The only remaining problem for me is that the audio slips about half a second out of synch at some point toward the very end of the film. This seems to be an issue with the way the PAL DVD works (I used my PAL Quadrilogy disc). I've tried using a bunch of different tools to rip the disc, and the audio always slips out after the Dallas-turns-into-an-egg scene. It's a very minor drift, and doesn't bother me all that much, though. No other film I've reauthored has ever given me this particular problem.

Offline thesciphishow

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2008, 03:44:17 PM »
ANy tips on finding the new sync points ?

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1666
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2008, 08:03:40 PM »

Is it really that much harder to make the PAL version?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline MrCyNic

• Blue Beer Drinker
    • My ComicSpace page:
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2008, 05:58:34 AM »
ANy tips on finding the new sync points ?

Well, here's what I do, if it's any help. After blanking the intro music and host preamble, I look at the text document for the first Disembaudio sync line, and note the difference between the DVD time and the Rifftrax time. I shave that difference from the the now-blank front end of the Rifftrax. When I'm doing a PAL conversion, I start hunting for the first sync line about 15-30 seconds earlier than the listed time, and adjust the Riff so it matches up. After that, the Riff should match up all the way through the movie, but each sync line will crop up earlier than the listed time, and at increasing intervals - to the point where I frequently find myself hunting 3 minutes or more before the listed times. It takes a little patience, trial and error - but it's not actually difficult to do.

The next time I do a PAL conversion (assuming Bathtub doesn't beat me to it with his full version), I could always just post the PAL synch line timings I find, in case anyone else finds them useful.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 06:07:01 AM by MrCyNic »

Offline Quicksilver

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Give me your pudding!
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2008, 07:36:40 AM »
I did the 4.271% thing. It was weird, it worked pretty much. However, one would be fast than the other for a while and then back to the prior on being faster and so on. At least I could watch it. Thanks for the advice.
The Ood: The Beast and his armies will rise from the pit to make war against God.
Rose: I'm sorry?
The Ood: Apologies. I said: I hope you enjoy your meal.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3477
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2008, 12:33:24 AM »
You're killin' us here, Bathtub. Killing us!
FINE

Offline Steve T

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2008, 07:20:08 AM »
It's been 13 days since the NTSC version was released.  Not that I'm counting, or anything...

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1666
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2008, 08:28:59 PM »
It's not an excuse or a threat but could the delays in PAL versions explain some of the Rifftrax piracy?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2008, 08:35:05 PM »
I dunno? I wouldn't think so.
FINE

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 96
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2008, 08:36:02 AM »
To reiterate:  An official PAL version is planned.  It will not be this week and probably not next week becuase Nigel had issues with his copy and is looking for another one.  We apologize for this, but Nigel having a full time job and plenty of responsibilities other than helping us out, it is understandable that RiffTrax will not always be his top priority, especially when something weird like his disc not working happens and he has to track another one down.

If you are impatient, you are welcome to download the NTSC version and adjust the tempo yourself, as explained earlier in the thread, it is a very easy process that is done in under ten minutes with free software:

If you're using Audacity just go to Effects->Change Tempo and enter 4.271%. That'll convert it from NTSC->PAL.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Will this work perfectly?  We don't know, because we don't have discs to test it on.  It usually does, that is how we used to make them ourselves, but it makes more sense to have someone with an actual copy of the DVD testing it to make sure.  If it doesn't, it is because of cuts or additions, but you will still be able to download a tested PAL version when it is released since you've already paid for it. 

We know people want them, and always want to have them out as soon as possible, posting passive aggressive stuff about piracy doesn't solve anyones problem.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 08:45:19 AM by Conor »

Offline Douche Baggins

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2008, 12:37:52 PM »
To reiterate:  An official PAL version is planned.  It will not be this week and probably not next week becuase Nigel had issues with his copy and is looking for another one.  We apologize for this, but Nigel having a full time job and plenty of responsibilities other than helping us out, it is understandable that RiffTrax will not always be his top priority, especially when something weird like his disc not working happens and he has to track another one down.

If you are impatient, you are welcome to download the NTSC version and adjust the tempo yourself, as explained earlier in the thread, it is a very easy process that is done in under ten minutes with free software:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Will this work perfectly?  We don't know, because we don't have discs to test it on.  It usually does, that is how we used to make them ourselves, but it makes more sense to have someone with an actual copy of the DVD testing it to make sure.  If it doesn't, it is because of cuts or additions, but you will still be able to download a tested PAL version when it is released since you've already paid for it. 

We know people want them, and always want to have them out as soon as possible, posting passive aggressive stuff about piracy doesn't solve anyones problem.

i love you

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2008, 05:25:11 PM »
Yeah, I didn't agree with the piracy comment, but it would be nice if we were told there was going to be a delay on the PAL versions (like you just did).

Things come up, like dvds not working or there being different cuts or whatever, and a post saying what the haps is, I think, makes the wait a lot easier.

It has been a couple of weeks, so I think it's fair enough that people were wondering.
FINE