Author Topic: What have we lear--mmmphh!!!!!?!?!  (Read 11612 times)

Offline Bill Corbett

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 4
Re: What have we lear--mmmphh!!!!!?!?!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 12:47:57 PM »
That's partly correct, Gromit. I have been a fan since 1990 and own the entire MST collection of episodes, all Film Crew discs and all Rifftrax releases. I am by no means an authority on the topic, but I think I have a reasonable idea on what movie genre works and which do not. Personally I feel that what doesn't work is ANY film that deals with serious subject matter; these types of films should be off limits for the RT experience. Why? Because it's simply not funny material to poke fun at.

Humor is totally subjective and determined by the beholder. I respect your stance and am not trying to sway you or anyone else. I simply saying that I feel there is a line to what is funny and not funny with motion pictures, and some of the selections lately have crossed that line (Saw, TTT, The Sixth Sense). I'll continue to buy RT because I am a fan, but it's been disappointing as of late and I hope the trend to riff war movies or a child combating his inner demons passes soon. Surely I can't be the only person who feels this way  ???

Hey there CHF01, 

I won't weigh in on the discussion here too much, 'cause this forum isn't about us.    We have enough places to pontificate and rant. 

I'll just say that I like coming on the board occasionally and read what people are thinking about the stuff we do, might do in the future, etc. etc.   Even if I don't necessarily agree with everything 100%, a well-made case like yours is always helpful.    Thanks. 

And many thanks for sticking with us.    All of you guys.  You make us feel so... so... ohhhh...(sobs violently)... please, turn off the camera, this is embarrassing...!!

cheerio.

bc

Offline Courtney

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 5
  • How Twilight could have been better.
    • Hobo Trashcan - Outside of the In-Crowd
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 12:52:44 PM »
The way I see it, anything can be funny.  As long as they're not riffing Schindler's List or a movie about pedophilia, they're in the clear.

Offline JoshWay

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 3
  • My mother was a demon!
    • My iRiffs
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 01:09:23 PM »
People (myself included) have an odd emotional attachment to movies we think are good and important. We get very defensive of them. I remember showing MST3K to my friends' family in high school. His mother had seen "Magic Sword" as a kid and it made an impact on her. She didn't like to see these smart-mouth young men (and bots) mocking something that she had a fond memory of.

So it's completely understandable that people feel this way. The problem is that Mike and the boys can't possibly account for all the unique tastes of the potential viewers. So I guess we all just get to exercise our free will and stick to the stuff that appeals to us.

Offline Bill Corbett

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 01:50:05 PM »
So I guess we all just get to exercise our free will and stick to the stuff that appeals to us.

Um, Josh?   No one said you get to keep your free will, mister.

...That cleared up, excellent points.    This stuff is incredibly subjective, depending on all sorts of factors.  Humor in general is, but with riffing the source material makes it geometrically more complicated in terms of people's reaction.    And sometimes we don't know a dubious riffing choice until we're in the middle of it, or worse... until we've already done it.    Hopefully the latter is rare.

I can guarantee, however, that we'll never do SCHINDLER'S LIST.  (Too redundant of our upcoming riff on THE SORROW AND THE PITY.)

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 02:01:03 PM »
That's partly correct, Gromit. I have been a fan since 1990 and own the entire MST collection of episodes, all Film Crew discs and all Rifftrax releases. I am by no means an authority on the topic, but I think I have a reasonable idea on what movie genre works and which do not. Personally I feel that what doesn't work is ANY film that deals with serious subject matter; these types of films should be off limits for the RT experience. Why? Because it's simply not funny material to poke fun at.

Humor is totally subjective and determined by the beholder. I respect your stance and am not trying to sway you or anyone else. I simply saying that I feel there is a line to what is funny and not funny with motion pictures, and some of the selections lately have crossed that line (Saw, TTT, The Sixth Sense). I'll continue to buy RT because I am a fan, but it's been disappointing as of late and I hope the trend to riff war movies or a child combating his inner demons passes soon. Surely I can't be the only person who feels this way  ???

Hey there CHF01, 

I won't weigh in on the discussion here too much, 'cause this forum isn't about us.    We have enough places to pontificate and rant. 

I'll just say that I like coming on the board occasionally and read what people are thinking about the stuff we do, might do in the future, etc. etc.   Even if I don't necessarily agree with everything 100%, a well-made case like yours is always helpful.    Thanks. 

And many thanks for sticking with us.    All of you guys.  You make us feel so... so... ohhhh...(sobs violently)... please, turn off the camera, this is embarrassing...!!

cheerio.

bc

Hey Bill!

I appreciate you taking time in your day to respond to my post.  :D
Love your work, man.  :clap:

I'm not trying to start a crusade or disrespect one's thoughts/feelings on the topic of humor. And perhaps using the word 'genre' in my prior post was inaccurate. Any genre is probably good fodder (material, not food for livestock  :) ) for riffing. Perhaps serious subject matter is more appropriate...?

Anyway, regardless of my feelings on the select few projects I've mentioned, I must say that the amount of great work you and the crew have done the past few years far outweighs others projects I'm not personally fond of. I'm looking forward to your future releases and again, thank you for the post. See you around the forums!

Starstruck,
CHF01

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 03:18:04 PM »
People (myself included) have an odd emotional attachment to movies we think are good and important. We get very defensive of them. I remember showing MST3K to my friends' family in high school. His mother had seen "Magic Sword" as a kid and it made an impact on her. She didn't like to see these smart-mouth young men (and bots) mocking something that she had a fond memory of.

Odd emotional attachment...that's pretty funny, Josh. It doesn't pertain to me personally, but it might to others.  ;)

Offline Bill Corbett

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 07:36:45 AM »
Hey Bill!

I'm not trying to start a crusade or disrespect one's thoughts/feelings on the topic of humor. And perhaps using the word 'genre' in my prior post was inaccurate. Any genre is probably good fodder (material, not food for livestock  :) ) for riffing. Perhaps serious subject matter is more appropriate...?

Anyway, regardless of my feelings on the select few projects I've mentioned, I must say that the amount of great work you and the crew have done the past few years far outweighs others projects I'm not personally fond of. I'm looking forward to your future releases and again, thank you for the post. See you around the forums!

Starstruck,
CHF01

Aw, you're way too kind, CHF (if I might call you that?).   And if you saw me eat a chalupa, you'd quickly be un-starstruck. 

Many thanks though, nice of you.

bc

Offline Courtney

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 5
  • How Twilight could have been better.
    • Hobo Trashcan - Outside of the In-Crowd
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 08:04:31 AM »
So I guess we all just get to exercise our free will and stick to the stuff that appeals to us.

Um, Josh?   No one said you get to keep your free will, mister.

Your will is only free for the first month, then you have the option to cancel, which is nice.

I can honestly say that my most favoritest most beloved movie of all time is Say Anything, and I'd pretty fine with the guys tackling it.  I think it's because it would be two beloved things coming together, and I like that.  But that's just how I feel.  I am also fine with my food touching.  Other people are not.  So it is.

Now when they start riffing my family's home videos, that's when I'll get bothered.  (I know that's next on the queue.)

Offline JoshWay

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 3
  • My mother was a demon!
    • My iRiffs
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008, 08:19:01 AM »
This discussion reminds me of an old thread in the Fan Art section regarding "Rifftrax we'll never see." These were my contributions:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 5324
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008, 08:20:58 AM »
Never say Never..
I'm still holding out for.. You know.. DUNE

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 03:04:21 PM »
Hey Bill!

Starstruck,
CHF01

Aw, you're way too kind, CHF (if I might call you that?).   And if you saw me eat a chalupa, you'd quickly be un-starstruck. 

Many thanks though, nice of you.

bc

CHF is fine, sir  :)
You're welcome and thank YOU for giving us many years of great comedy  :cheers:

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3229
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 11:49:09 PM »

Perhaps the issue of what movies should be riffed has more to do with how the riffs are perceived?  Not all riffs are "making fun" of the movie, for the better movies it's more jokes and funny comments that fit with what's happening on screen.   For example I never thought they were making fun of The 2 Towers, but with a preconceived notion that all riffing is poking fun then it could be taken that way.

For alien I think they did both, in the appropriate places...

Offline dalem

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
I liked it.  I like the movie, but I'm not worshipper - I think it's a great horror/sci-fi film but I don't go much further than that.  The Riff was top-notch in my opinion.

As far as riffing movies I think are great, I say bring it on.  To me the barrier isn't quality, either objective or subjective, but content, and these guys know more about comedy and timing than I'll ever want to so I'm pretty okay with their decisions, ;)

-dale

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6696
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 08:49:09 AM »
I learned that a giant spacecraft will not have a shuttle capable of carrying seven people.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3229
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 12:21:51 PM »
I learned that a giant spacecraft will not have a shuttle capable of carrying seven people.

I never thought of that before, so in the future there are no laws that say you have to have enough lifeboats for all people on board, wonder how all historical info on the Titanic was lost and forgotten?