login

Author Topic: Director's Cut is the proper version to use  (Read 22778 times)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
Re: Director's Cut is the proper version to use
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2008, 11:20:34 PM »
Crap!  Blockbuster's copy--clearly labeled "director's cut"--had a copy of the theatrical cut in it.  Now I have to track down another copy.  Damn you, Blockbuster.

That's EXACTLY how the copy I got from Hollywood Video was...  Going to WalMart because I don't want to wait 4 days for Netflix (weekend included)

[edit] lousy walmart only had one version, and it turns out to be the wrong one... it's 116 minutes, but apparently it's not the one riffed.  I guess I will have to buy it off Amazon.  More waiting.   Yay. [/edit]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 01:52:36 AM by TheUnabeefer »
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3224
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2008, 10:28:34 PM »
[edit] lousy walmart only had one version, and it turns out to be the wrong one... it's 116 minutes, but apparently it's not the one riffed.  I guess I will have to buy it off Amazon.  More waiting.   Yay. [/edit]

All the stores local to me also only have the 20th anniversary edition that I already have, found a used copy at suncoast but it's twice as much as a new copy from amazon.   I'll get it when I order the next Futurama movie.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2008, 03:21:03 AM »
I finally found one for sale at a local Blockbuster, took it home, was delighted it was finally the correct version, and laughed my fat ass off to the trax!  Huzzah!
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline NormalView!

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
1979 Director's Cut NOT 2003 Director's Cut
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2008, 08:19:07 PM »
Thanks to all the do-gooders who point out that the Riff goes with the director's cut not the theatrical release, but it should really be noted that there is a 2003 Director's cut as well as a 1979 Director's Cut. The riff works with the 1979 Director's Cut, NOT the one from 2003.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
Re: 1979 Director's Cut NOT 2003 Director's Cut
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2008, 08:26:19 PM »
Thanks to all the do-gooders who point out that the Riff goes with the director's cut not the theatrical release, but it should really be noted that there is a 2003 Director's cut as well as a 1979 Director's Cut. The riff works with the 1979 Director's Cut, NOT the one from 2003.

This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2607
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2008, 08:28:16 PM »

Then why did it sync up perfectly with my 2003 Director's Cut?
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 857
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2008, 11:15:05 AM »

That is completely untrue. There was only one release actually called the "Director's Cut" that was the version in the Quad box set and the subsequent 2 disc stand alone Alien set that was the exact same discs from the Quad released a few months later. There is nothing released called the "1979 Director's Cut". 
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline NormalView!

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2009, 11:25:18 PM »
For the record, I was wrong, y'all are right. Thanks for all the, um, colorful feedback. In my defense, I had tried watching this Riff 3 times with different copies of Alien, at least one of them clearly labelled Director's Cut, without success; I was in a dark, angry place and pages like this one at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Alien-Directors-Cut-Sigourney-Weaver/dp/B00011V8IQ) certainly didn't help what with putting the text "Alien (The Director's Cut) (1979)" as the heading of the page. I've rented copies of Alien, "borrowed" a few, and even paid real money for 3 copies of this movie just so I could watch this track and apparently I still haven't managed to get it right. Suffice it to say its a bitter subject.

I think I may (fingers crossed) be able to do so soon now that I have a copy that says Director's Cut on the package. Actually the DVD menu for this copy looks just like the one I remember seeing when I first tried watching this; it offers the choice between the theatrical cut and Director's Cut; I tried both before and neither one seemed to fit. I've redownloaded the Riff as well just in case I had downloaded the PAL version by mistake, so maybe it'll work this time. I own a total of 20 RiffTrax so far and none has given me this amount of trouble.