login

Author Topic: Name the most stupid thing about the Star Wars Prequels.  (Read 29391 times)

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
    • BlondeChampagne
Re: Name the most stupid thing about the Star Wars Prequels.
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2007, 08:39:31 PM »
I'd also like to add that one of the things that irked me about the prequels was the over-use of digital doubles as Stormtroopers. I like that ILM is proud of their accomplishments, but lifelike human soldiers is not one of them.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOORD.  Like I said in another post, the rubber masks may be cheesy, but they have a flesh and blood character that CGI will never, ever have.  In the part of Ep II where Padme falls out of the ship (stupid ho) and she has a conversation with a single CGI trooper I about leapt out of my seat all,  "DAMMIT GEORGE, HOW HARD IS IT TO GIVE ONE GUY A COSTUME?!"

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2007, 12:16:56 AM »
Well, I think Porkins just blew up all on his own without getting shot or anything....

It looked like he hit a patch of black ice and went spinning off the side of the road. That guy looked like he had just put a hoagie down seconds before each scene. Man, I'd love to see Ep IV riffed.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2007, 07:05:45 AM »
Do you all notice that the Naboo fighter-pilots looked like and sounded like incompetent morons?  At least in the original trilogy the Rebel pilots sounded disciplined and professional, making the air battles more dramatic.

Hey, I been sayin' that from the moment I saw the film! Every time that dude said "We didn't hit it!" I would always say under my breath "we're stupid idiots!! We can't his squat!" I just nodded in agreement when Kevin Murphy said pretty much the same thing in the Rifftrax.

Offline jedi2187

• Schnappi Supporter
  • feets don't fail me now!
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2007, 10:00:43 AM »
Well, I think Porkins just blew up all on his own without getting shot or anything....

It looked like he hit a patch of black ice and went spinning off the side of the road. That guy looked like he had just put a hoagie down seconds before each scene. Man, I'd love to see Ep IV riffed.

I almost spilled soda on my keyboard after I read your first sentence.
" LISTEN KID. I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes. " -Roger Murdoch, Airplane!

Johnny_Short_Torso

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2007, 12:26:07 AM »
One of the worst things about the prequels is Anakins line in The Phantom Menace, where he says "I'm a person and my name is Anakin!"

Offline palehorse864

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2007, 02:32:19 PM »
During the infamous "Noooooo" scene,  I was watching Darth Vader get the bad news about Padme and throught "OH great, how's he going to respond... He can't cry in the darth vader mask,  I don't know what they can write in for dialogue...  The only thing that woudl fit is him screaming NO but they can't do that, it would sound silly in Darth Vader's voice"  Sure enough, just as I thought about the no, he stands up, and then he has me laughing my butt off in the theatre at one of the most unintentionally funny lines of the series.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2007, 03:22:13 PM »
yeah i was laughing hard too, the best route would have been quit smoldering that involved his force powers crusing the room in anger or something along those lines.

Offline Shaggy

• Sparkles in Sunlight
    • Arcade Heroes!
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2007, 04:22:13 PM »
One thing I noticed about PM, was the plot devices that he took right from Return of the Jedi. For example, having a space battle, ground battle and Jedi/Sith battle all take place at roughly the same time.

I always thought Ep. 1 was bad, but I realized it was even worse after watching Rifftrax. I guess I never gave much thought to all the talk about trade disputes. But the near lack of emotion in the characters was among the most annoying things about the film. 

Offline Scrivener

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7
  • P.S. Productions: Getting the last word in.
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2007, 07:12:36 AM »
George Lucas.

Do I win?
Buy P.S.Productions' iRiffs.  NOW AVAILABLE:

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356

Offline Nergol

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2008, 11:12:24 AM »
I think we can all agree that it's pretty bad when it's literally true that Genndy Tartakovsky did a way, way better job of directing a Star Wars prequel than  George Lucas did. If you've seen Clone Wars, it's everything that the Lucas prequels were not - well-paced, well-acted, logical, and consistently interesting. The failure of the prequels is no one's fault but Lucas'.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2569
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2008, 06:59:24 PM »
Ill start. O.k. this one thing i never got. Amidala was a elected queen.

When that part comes up I always think of the bit from Monty Python and the The Holy Grail; "you don't vote for king"...

Let's see, the storm troopers go from being able to wipe out the jedi to bumbling idiots that can't hit anything....  Well, they are clones, you know when you make a copy of a copy of a copy etc., the copies get worse as you go, yea, that explains it!

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2008, 01:40:45 PM »
Ill start. O.k. this one thing i never got. Amidala was a elected queen.

When that part comes up I always think of the bit from Monty Python and the The Holy Grail; "you don't vote for king"...

Let's see, the storm troopers go from being able to wipe out the jedi to bumbling idiots that can't hit anything....  Well, they are clones, you know when you make a copy of a copy of a copy etc., the copies get worse as you go, yea, that explains it!

That whole "Stormtroopers are clones" thing annoys the hell out of me. It's -way- easier to train someone for 6 months than grow them for 10. Let the colonies grow them, throw them into a training center, and bam, troops.

Plus, they're clearly different heights in the original trilogy movies.

I'm pretty sure there's some kind of explanation for this.  I think what "happens" is that the Emperor started handing out important military positions as political favors, and they ended up enlisting their own troops, or something.

Of course, we all know the real reason - George Lucas didn't really have the prequels in mind when he made the OT.
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2008, 03:39:07 PM »
unless they can grow more than they can conscript. 

Kzinistzerg

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2008, 06:37:32 PM »
Yes, especially as they die like flies.