Author Topic: Name the most stupid thing about the Star Wars Prequels.  (Read 28253 times)

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
Re: Name the most stupid thing about the Star Wars Prequels.
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2006, 01:06:15 PM »
Jar Jar binks and the use of the CGI on the other characters.

C'mon, how hard would it be to do a battle scene with a bunch of extra's dressed as Wookies?

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2006, 09:51:47 PM »
How hard would it have been to make at least a few of those clone trooper suits and get some extras for the helmeted troops? He also could've got the trooper actor to actually be there during the scenes where the helmet was off instead of digitally floating the head there. A lot of the decisions he made when it comes to the CGI effects seem to almost be on a dare. "Bet you can't make a trooper totally CGI except for the head!" Bleh!

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2006, 06:53:05 AM »
The stupiest thing about the prequels was Episode One. As others have said, Anakin should have started out older. Obi-Wan should have been given something to do for the middle 90 minutes of the movie. Samuel L. Jackson should have been a villian... sorry, but hiring him as a level-headed good guy is wasting his gift as an actor. I would rather watch congressional sessions on C-SPAN then ever be subjected to anything involving Nute Gunray, Trade Federations, tax rates, Chancellors, etc. Hmmm... some backstory on how Palpatine became the super-badass Sith Lord?!?? Naw... it's time for the inner-workings of galactic government followed by a half hour of NASCAR of the future... err... I mean a long, long time ago NASCAR.

As hard as Lucas tried to clean up the load in his pants after Episode One, the next two films just couldn't overcome it. I'm not going to say that the acting and overall direction of "A New Hope" was anykind of masterpiece, but it wasn't an outright liability like in the prequels. Bad actors doing bad acting, good actors looking bored and uniterested. Just depressing... even if they got progressively less crappy, the prequels are still a pile of wasted promise.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 12:11:57 PM by Nunyerbiz »

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2006, 01:55:33 PM »
I think that the two posts immediately preceding mine are both dead-on in their assessment of the prequels.  But I'd like to add one more thing (which other people probably already have added): the dialogue.  God, the dialogue was TERRIBLE.  Not just the words themselves, but the way that they're read!  Ugh...I cringe every time I have to watch Hayden Christianson attempting to emote (but sounding like a moron in the process) during the fight with Obi-Wan ("YOU UNDERESTIMATE MY POOOOWWER!").  Yuck.  I agree with what Mike said: "I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Mark Hammil."  (Or was it Kevin who said that?)

I know the dialogue wasn't that great in the original trilogy, but it was far less noticable because everything else was so much better (and the delivery made them seem slightly less corny than they were).

Second-lamest part of the trilogy: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 10:08:25 PM by BBQ Platypus »
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2006, 01:59:00 PM »
I think that the two posts immediately preceding mine are both dead-on in their assessment of the prequels.  But I'd like to add one more thing (which other people probably already have added): the dialogue.  God, the dialogue was TERRIBLE.  Not just the words themselves, but the way that they're read!  Ugh...I cringe every time I have to watch Hayden Christianson ham it up during the fight with Obi-Wan ("YOU UNDERESTIMATE MY POOOOWWER!").  Yuck.  I agree with what Mike said: "I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Mark Hammil."  (Or was it Kevin who said that?)

I know the dialogue wasn't that great in the original trilogy, but it was far less noticable because everything else was so much better (and the delivery made them seem slightly less corny than they were).

Yep, the dialog was legendary. Bad legendary, that is.

Quotable phrases in the Original Trilogy - 90%

Quotable phrases in the prequel Trilogy - 5%

Offline PJD

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2006, 03:24:10 PM »
Here's what got me the most during my first viewing of Phantom Menace: the Force being Anakin's daddy. WTF? I can understand Lucas' misguided attempt to explain the Jedi's connection to the Force through midichlorians. I can understand him trying to insert inane comedy relief through Jar Jar. But what the hell was he thinking when he decided to make Anakin into a messiah figure? Couldn't he have made his father some Jedi who had left the order like Dooku? I mean, come on!
I thought in Ep3 when Palpatine is seducing Anakina and talks of his former master who could create life from mitichlorians that it was an allusion to Anikins origins. Still shitty.

I think everybody has made awesome points here.
I really got to agree with the bad Digital doubles but  the thing that really kills me is watching any of the extra documentarys for the prequels all you hear is Rick McCallum and Lucas whining about how expensive movies are and how they couldn't have stayed on budget withou the CGI and thats why they needed Digital stormtroopers and bla bla, blah...
WHAT THE FUCK ARE THESE GUYS TALKING ABOUT!?!?!?! They make more off the merchandising than any other films make period! What fucking budget? They seriously couldn't find an extra $300,000 to us ereal extras and costumes and have it not suck? UUggg.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2006, 05:25:38 AM »

Offline AmazingThor

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 14
  • Spam fed the Russian army
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2007, 09:25:28 AM »
Don't know if you guys have ever heard of The Editing Room, but he does a wonderful job with the prequels:

http://www.the-editing-room.com/?script=phantommenace
http://www.the-editing-room.com/?script=attackoftheclones
http://www.the-editing-room.com/?script=revengeofthesith

Enjoy!

Johnny_Short_Torso

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2007, 12:54:25 AM »
Hey thanks for those links! I would have died laughing if not for the difibrulator next to my bedside.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2007, 11:13:52 AM »
That was great stuff. Even pointed out a couple mistakes I hadn't noticed before.

Johnny_Short_Torso

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2007, 08:07:28 PM »
I think I know the stupidest thing about the Prequels: People proclaiming The Phantom Menace is so much better than Return Of the Jedi, even though it is painfully obvious even to the most dull-witted of people that The Phantom Menace sucks on Toast compared to Return of the Jedi.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2007, 06:59:46 AM »
I think I know the stupidest thing about the Prequels: People proclaiming The Phantom Menace is so much better than Return Of the Jedi, even though it is painfully obvious even to the most dull-witted of people that The Phantom Menace sucks on Toast compared to Return of the Jedi.

Are people actually saying that? Or do you mean Revenge Of The Sith?

Offline aneel

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2007, 09:21:04 AM »
Do you all notice that the Naboo fighter-pilots looked like and sounded like incompetent morons?  At least in the original trilogy the Rebel pilots sounded disciplined and professional, making the air battles more dramatic.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2007, 09:29:30 AM »
Well, I think Porkins just blew up all on his own without getting shot or anything....

Then again, the "Stay on target, stay on target..." / "Got Tyree, got Hutch..." guy was easily my favorite anonymous character from the entire series. I'll give Lucas credit: hiring a mix of young kids and fat, older guys to lead the Death Star attack really did make the Rebel Alliance feel like a rag tag group made up of whatever pilots they could get.

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2007, 09:36:59 AM »
Don't know if you guys have ever heard of The Editing Room, but he does a wonderful job with the prequels:

http://www.the-editing-room.com/?script=phantommenace
http://www.the-editing-room.com/?script=attackoftheclones
http://www.the-editing-room.com/?script=revengeofthesith

Enjoy!

Hey Thanks AmazingThor.
I really enjoyed this from PM:

AUDIENCE
He built C-3PO? Why wasn't this ever mentioned in the original trilogy?

GEORGE LUCAS
Because I just made it up. Speaking of stuff I'm just making up, how do you like the midichlorian bullshit I pulled out of my ass?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 10:30:56 AM by gammer73 »