Author Topic: Does anyone have any ideas for a program to record my own riff.  (Read 1475 times)

Offline elmhurst_moop

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
    Hi fellow riffers I'm looking for a good program that would allow me to record my own riffs.  I'd prefer something that would let me edit my mistakes then add dialogue in place of the misstakes.  I might want to get some sound recording equipment that can connect to my PC and comes with editing software.  Any ideas people may have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a million,
John

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: Does anyone have any ideas for a program to record my own riff.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 07:42:32 PM »
The most common suggestions you're likely to get here are Audacity (which is available for free) and Goldwave (which has a free trial, not sure how much it is after that's over though)  So far I've been using Audacity and it's pretty easy to record and edit with.  You may run into some problems with it crashing or not having all the editing tricks and features you want.  I haven't tried Goldwave yet, but I've heard good things.

As far as the actual recording equipment, it depends how much you want to pay.  At first I was just using a logitec headset with mic that was around $20, but after that I bought a Samson USB Condenser mic in a kit that cost around $130.  Much happier with that one so far.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline elmhurst_moop

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 08:30:51 PM »
Thanx for the help  "RoninFox,"  I'll the try the free program and see if it works for me if not the I'll upgrade.

Offline trobotcrow

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 08:41:19 PM »
I use Quicktime -- but I don't know recording is a pro or free feature. It's pretty easy. You just create a new recording and hit record.

Audacity is a very widely used program, but I've had trouble with it crashing. You may not have that problem though.

If you're using Vista -- the home multimedia version... doesn't it have an audio recorder?

Editing is where the real trouble would be. My suggestion would be to use a video editing program, so you can splice, over track for multiple takes, etc., and sync it all up to timecode.

Podcasting programs are great to use, because they have vocal enhancements and compressors. If I remember correctly, there are a bunch of free ones that people use -- don't know one to suggest off the top of my head.

Good luck.
I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds of me doing something incredibly stupid, and I went ahead anyway.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 07:39:50 AM »
I might want to get some sound recording equipment that can connect to my PC and comes with editing software.
I personally wouldn't trust anything like that...

RoninFox: is Goldwave another recording program or something else?

I use Quicktime -- but I don't know recording is a pro or free feature. It's pretty easy. You just create a new recording and hit record.
Pretty sure it's pro
Audacity is a very widely used program, but I've had trouble with it crashing. You may not have that problem though.
What version of Audacity were you using? I actually use the latest beta(1.3) and I haven't had any crashes.

Also, check out SecretAgentSuperDragon's tutorial on ripping and re-authoring. What I do is rip the audio from the movie and import it into Audacity so I can sync the other tracks to it.

And here's my tutorial for Sub Station Alpha. It's a pretty handy program for scripting and script playback.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 07:07:44 PM »
RoninFox: is Goldwave another recording program or something else?

Yep, recording and editing etc.  Haven't tried it yet, but I have it downloaded and ready to try when I start my next project.  We'll see from there if I stick with it or Audacity.

http://www.goldwave.com/
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing