Author Topic: Higher Rez DVD?  (Read 5806 times)

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
Higher Rez DVD?
« on: June 04, 2008, 05:01:40 PM »
Is there a higher resolution version of this movie out?
The one I got on Netflix was a low resolution version.  I don't want HD DVD or Blueray. 
Just a higher resolution version on DVD.
On timeout

Offline JoshWay

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 3
  • My mother was a demon!
    • My iRiffs
Re: Higher Rez DVD?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 05:08:06 PM »
I think it was one of the earliest DVD releases, so it wasn't compressed very well. Hopefully we'll get a new edition to coincide with the new movie. It's overdue for a new transfer.

• Mr Bungle
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 05:10:34 PM »
Cool, thanks.  I'm really surprised they haven't released a better version yet.  Isn't the new movie coming out pretty soon?
On timeout

Offline JoshWay

• Big Montana
  • My mother was a demon!
    • My iRiffs
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 06:25:02 PM »
Yeah, I would imagine it will be announced soon.

By the way, did you watch this DVD on an HDTV? I just did, and it looks particularly heinous. MPEG artifacts up the wazoo.

• Mr Bungle
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 06:27:29 PM »
I watched in 1440 by 800 on my 20 inch monitor and it doesn't look that great.
On timeout

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 08:43:23 PM »
Okay good, I thought it was just me.  I forgot how long ago this movie came out and how far DVDs have come since then.  Has it really been ten years?  Yikes.

Offline Flopsy T. Hamster

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 09:46:41 AM »
There was actually a second version of the DVD released with anomorphic video. The first release was non-anamorphic, but it was updated a few years later, and also had a DTS soundtrack added. It's easy to tell the two apart, as the second version has a banner across the top of the front cover with "Enhanced Widescreen", and the DTS logo.

There is also apparently a third version included with the X-Files complete series box set, though I don't know if it has all the special features the other two have.

Offline JoshWay

• Big Montana
  • My mother was a demon!
    • My iRiffs
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 10:27:24 AM »
There was actually a second version of the DVD released with anomorphic video. The first release was non-anamorphic, but it was updated a few years later, and also had a DTS soundtrack added. It's easy to tell the two apart, as the second version has a banner across the top of the front cover with "Enhanced Widescreen", and the DTS logo.

I actually have the DTS anamorphic edition, and the transfer still looks pretty lousy.

• Mr Bungle
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 10:38:56 AM »

I actually have the DTS anamorphic edition, and the transfer still looks pretty lousy.

Ok, good cuz I did see that one on Amazon and was thinking about buying it but it was a ridiculous price.  So I won't.
On timeout

Offline Isaac S.

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 5
  • The Gun Alarm Clock: You Snooze, You Lose.
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 06:42:43 PM »
I have the DTS version, and I thought it was all right.  Not up to today's standards, perhaps, but for my widescreen TV, it was definitely better than having to make do with a non-anamorphic transfer.  I found it for $6.99 at my local MovieStop, so it didn't break the bank.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 03:56:20 PM »
Fortunately, I was concentrating on the comments being made and not the movie quality so much.

Offline gabesword

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 01:13:44 PM »
I picked up The X-Files: The Complete Collector's Edition.  The included version of Fight The Future is way better than the old one.  It has a DTS track as well as AC3 6 channel and 2 channel.  It looks A LOT better on my hdtv than the old one did.

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 10:49:43 AM »
Just to be a tekkie jerk for a second...

We have to be careful when we say "is there one with a better resolution?"...because the resolution on all of these is 720x480 (except for the HD version which actually does have bigger/better resolution).

What you are really asking, is if there is one that has a better bitrate, or is compressed better; one with fewer mpeg artifacts.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 10:56:47 AM »
Must have been just Netflix sending out a lower resolution copy to cut down on bandwidth. I'm supposing here that he downloaded it directly from Netflix instead of getting it through the mail...

• Mr Bungle
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 12:01:11 PM »
Thanks guys for helping.  I did get an answer a month ago, so no need for further info.
On timeout