login

Author Topic: Marvel's Secret Invasion  (Read 2403 times)

Offline SaucyRossy

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 0
Marvel's Secret Invasion
« on: June 04, 2008, 05:10:19 PM »
Taken from Wiki
Secret Invasion is a comic book limited series and crossover that began in April 2008, published by Marvel Comics.

It focuses on an alien invasion by shapeshifters known as the Skrulls, who have been secretly posing as various characters in the Marvel Universe.

So how many of you are reading this? I am and I love it so far....if there are other comic fans reading this we can use this as our discussion topic.

now how about
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also the Artwork so far has been really great!

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 05:11:58 PM by SaucyRossy »

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Marvel's Secret Invasion
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 06:44:46 AM »
Gordon Brown gets to cameo in this series:

Offline zoom

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 05:36:45 AM »
I'm enjoying it.  One of my few complaints is the constant pow pow action, it's given few revelations since issue 1 and hasn't slowed down to take it all in, which is kinda weird for dialog heavy Bendis.  But it's a minor complaint and overall I'm loving it.  It's awesome how the Skrulls have been upgraded, and I loved the battle between the various Super-Skrulls and the Initiative and Young Avengers. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 03:53:01 PM »
I've always thought that skrulls were some of the most unimaginative beings in the cosmos.

If I understand correctly, they can not only shapeshift into a real, living, creature, but they can shapeshift into inanimate objects, shapeshift part of their body, etc. Rather than giving themselves loads of extra vital organs and appendages ending in the most lethal of manufactured weapons, they decide to spend most of their time and effort impersonating the fantastic four.
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline zoom

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 07:20:59 PM »
I've always thought that skrulls were some of the most unimaginative beings in the cosmos.

If I understand correctly, they can not only shapeshift into a real, living, creature, but they can shapeshift into inanimate objects, shapeshift part of their body, etc. Rather than giving themselves loads of extra vital organs and appendages ending in the most lethal of manufactured weapons, they decide to spend most of their time and effort impersonating the fantastic four.

If you combine that with the humility the first invading force of the Skrulls the FF faced they are stupid too.  After posing as the FF and being defeated the true FF go on board the Skrull warship posing as the impostors.  As if that's not bad enough, Reed tricks the commander that Earth is teaming with monsters by showing him cut outs from comic books making them fall back.  Maybe the Skrulls were smart enough to know they were being shown comic book samplings.  Maybe they saw the pictures of Tales to Astonish that Stan and Kirby made and their heads were throbbing from realizing their own existence inside a comic.  Or maybe Skrulls were really... REALLY stupid back then.

Oh yeah, then Reed makes the Skrulls left on Earth think their cattle and they get butchered and eaten...  Ultron might be a lonely, lonely robot but at least he's never suffered that humility.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 08:17:02 PM »

Most probably spoilers ahead:

I'm keeping up with this story, but have to admit that i'm getting real sick of Marvel finding ways to have superheros fight other superheros. I mean Civil War, World War Hulk, Marvel Zombies... ugh. They're all fun in their own ways, but it's just getting to be old hat.

Anyway, i thought for sure that this was going to be Marvel's way of trying to squirm out of the registration ordeal. I always thought that registration made sense in the Marvel Universe, but apparently it's very unpopular. Many fans now actually hate Tony Stark with a passion. And so i've been banking on Marvel pulling one of those "Oh, this wasn't the real Iron Man. The real Iron Man would never have done that!" As if the superheros themselves imposed that law on the country, and by making Iron Man a Skrull it would somehow negate the registration act.

I'm not saying that's what will happen. But it just felt that way to me once the series originally got rolling. Of course, now it appears that just the opposite may be true and Captain America was a Skrull... which would make more sense regarding his position during the Civil War, and provide Marvel with an easy way out when it comes to his "death."

I guess we'll see. There's only an issue or two left anyway, right?

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline zoom

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 08:59:18 PM »
Nah, there's 8 issues altogether.  We've got 5 more to go for the next 6 or 7 months (the next issue is out in TWO months.  At least they seem to be telling us the delays in advance this time.

And I completely agree with you Rude.  I liked most of the Marvel crossovers in the past but Marvel is all "hero fighting hero" and DC is constantly in crisis.  Every big crossover for Marvel has been a Secret War hero slapfight and the DCU is being rewritten every time I sneeze.  "Ahh, all the villains are assembling together we must fight them off!  What's that?  The Antimonitor/threat to the entire universe if not MULTIVERSE!!!  AHH!"  Marvel and DC seem to be stuck in a time loop since the 1980's.  I think it's a plot by Chronos and Kang in order to make sure the heroes don't actually progress or get anything done.

Offline SaucyRossy

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 09:13:29 PM »
Yeah i always thought the hero fighting hero thing was cool but i can see your point rude. It will get old if marvel keeps relying on it for all of their major events.

But when it comes down to it the heroes have become so overpowered there really is no real super villains on earth that are powerful enough to take on the majority of the marvel heroes, hence why i love secret invasion. Giving the Skrulls to copy any hero or villains powers really makes them that much of a real opposing force with a chance at winning the invasion.

Also i highly doubt we have seen the main invasion force just yet, i have a feeling the skrulls have some real big guns waiting for the heroes who get back to the mainland from the savage land.

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 12:51:50 AM »
I still say the skrulls have the mental capacity of a dead haddock, only with less creativity.

That an Tony Stark/Iron Man has and always will be and enormous dickweed.
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."