Author Topic: Radiohead's "Kid A" is genius. Disagree? This may be why.  (Read 1184 times)

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
Radiohead's "Kid A" is genius. Disagree? This may be why.
« on: June 01, 2008, 01:54:09 AM »
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88490677

not ready for jagged rhythms, crunching discord, and the strange jerking of the dancers on stage.
"It's a shocking piece," Hoffman says. "It's still startling to us today when we hear it, but it is not a confusing piece. It's compelling. We're hearing irregular rhythms, we're hearing instruments asked to go to the extremes of their capability
[yt=425,350]k-rqOJDo0-8[/yt]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[yt=425,350]i0s38lHIwRc[/yt]

« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 02:05:01 AM by bettertomorrowamy »
On timeout

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
Re: Radiohead's "Kid A" is genius. Disagree? This may be why.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 08:22:37 AM »
Thanks for your feedback.
On timeout

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 12:19:27 PM »
Have you ever seen the film The Rebel? I fear this argument is a bit like events that happen in that. Yes genius can be unsettling and discomforting but likewise so can ineptitude.

Not saying Radiohead is inept per se but people not liking them isn't really enough to grant them genius status.

I love Stravinsky and I rather liked the stripped down piano arrangement.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 12:21:49 PM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 12:36:27 PM »
Still have to put Kid A at the top of my favorite albums, it was actually their first album I listened to. Our guitarist brought the album to band practice and played it and I just sat there thinking "wtf?". I was surprised so many Radiohead fans hated that album when it first came out. I guess they were hoping for another OK Computer and heard an album nearly void of guitars and thought to themselves "what the balls?". A very innovative album and influenced me to incorporate computers into live performance. I even bought one of those Korg Kaoss pads which are fun but not very practical for recording.

anais.jude

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 09:12:26 AM »
Still have to put Kid A at the top of my favorite albums, it was actually their first album I listened to. Our guitarist brought the album to band practice and played it and I just sat there thinking "wtf?". I was surprised so many Radiohead fans hated that album when it first came out. I guess they were hoping for another OK Computer and heard an album nearly void of guitars and thought to themselves "what the balls?". A very innovative album and influenced me to incorporate computers into live performance. I even bought one of those Korg Kaoss pads which are fun but not very practical for recording.

I am one of those fans that liked their guitar stuff. It's not that Kid A isn't good, it's that I (miss jude) hate it.
I love "The National Anthem" though. That's one of my stripping songs...oh dear, I've said too much

Offline Doktor Sleepless

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 05:04:56 PM »
I wouldn't call Radiohead any sort of noise, or experimental. Every single one of their albums and songs has a pop element to it. Clearly. That being said while I do like music to sound like music, I do not like Radiohead. More so on account of how pretentious Tom and the gang are(I will not spell it his asinine way.) Then again different strokes, for different folks and the like.
Round about now! Since they say! I am the sexiest man in Jamaica!