Author Topic: A Scanner Darkly  (Read 3289 times)

Offline ZeekSlider

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
A Scanner Darkly
« on: May 30, 2008, 04:07:01 AM »
So I was cleaning my DVD collection when I discovered a movie I haven't seen in a long time.  I thought, now why haven't I watched A Scanner Darkly in so long?  I must have got it for a reason, right?

Turns out the only reason I bought the movie was to analyze its use of photoshop to trace over live action footage to make it into an animated film.  The plot is rather complicated to follow and the plot twists that happen towards the end are very predictable.

Please riff this independent film by Warner Brothers Independent.  If not for the fact that it is trying to be the next generation in motion-capture/animated sci-fi, then for the fact that Keanu Reeves is in it acting as horribly as ever.

Offline nedthenanite

• Disembaudio's Squadio
Re: A Scanner Darkly
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 01:28:13 PM »
it would work, because it's out there. i actually like this movie, but it can get.......confusing. rory cochrane is great as the twitchy substance d addict.

Offline requieminadream

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • FUCKING DOUGHNUT! MOCK ME? YOU FRIED CYCLOPS!
    • DVD Talk
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 04:51:57 PM »
I see lots of funny coming out of Rory Cochrane and Keanu Reeves being riffed.
And death shall have no dominion...

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 11:35:03 PM »
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline ZeekSlider

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 04:14:40 AM »
http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php/topic,6531.msg183845.html#msg183845

http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php/topic,2346.msg57923/topicseen.html#msg57923

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Something tells me I did the better of the two options.  ;D

Winona Ryder, Robert Downey Jr., Woody Harrelson, and Keanu Reeves whoa. Nuff said.

It's a film about the real - and quite negative - effects of drug use. Nuff said. It ain't going to be riffed.
  That may be what the film's underlying message is, but the execution is anything but that.  Upon viewing the film recently, I couldn't figure out what was their real focus until the end.  It was half "The Government is Big Brother" and half "Scared Straight out of drug use" for a good portion of the film.  What plot there was that I was able to follow was rather shallow and predictable.  And the "Bike from a yard sale" scene?  Totally unnessicary!

Some really good riffs could come from this movie, if not about the overall message but just from the execution of some of the situtations.  Hell, a running gag for the riff could be trying to figure out what the D stands for in Substance D (obviously avoiding that the D means drug)!

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 05:46:09 AM »
Winona Ryder, Robert Downey Jr., Woody Harrelson, and Keanu Reeves whoa. Nuff said.

It's a film about the real - and quite negative - effects of drug use. Nuff said. It ain't going to be riffed.
  That may be what the film's underlying message is, but the execution is anything but that.  Upon viewing the film recently, I couldn't figure out what was their real focus until the end.  It was half "The Government is Big Brother" and half "Scared Straight out of drug use" for a good portion of the film.  What plot there was that I was able to follow was rather shallow and predictable.  And the "Bike from a yard sale" scene?  Totally unnessicary!

And your post? Totally unnessicary!

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 06:03:45 AM »
Welcome to the forums, Zeek.  Don't mind Isaac, he's always like this.

I've been curious about this movie, what I've seen of it seems riffable.  I don't know about the addiction part of it, but it's not like they've never done drug humor.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline ZeekSlider

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 03:55:49 PM »
With an avatar like what he has, I'm not surprized. ;)

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 09:02:23 PM »
Obviously you don't understand the movie, and you probably haven't read the book.  The book is better, but the movie is pretty close.  It might be a good Rifftrax though, but you should give this movie another chance.
On timeout

Offline ZeekSlider

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 04:09:01 AM »
Obviously you don't understand the movie, and you probably haven't read the book.  The book is better, but the movie is pretty close.  It might be a good Rifftrax though, but you should give this movie another chance.
That's the thing.  I never heard of A Scanner Darkly until I started seeing trailers for it during my walks (I work at a movie theatre), and the only thing that made me want to watch the movie was the art direction and style it was using.  Apparently, there's another film before this done by the same production team that my co-workers knew about that I haven't been able to find which uses the same "trace over live action via photoshop" technique.

And then there's the fact that the US public school system failed in getting me interested in books through contemporary media, which in retrospect is a silly way to get people to read when you're trying to educate them.  In other words, I had a lot of English teachers showing me movie adaptations of things I should have been reading, like Beowulf.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 05:31:41 AM »
Well Phillip K. Dick was a sci-fi writer, not something that would normally be read in school.
But if you ever read Ray Bradbury, I think Dick is a logical progression from his sci-fi.

I'd say Bradbury is to the Twilight Zone as Dick is to the X-Files.

On timeout

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 05:46:13 AM »
Well Phillip K. Dick was a sci-fi writer, not something that would normally be read in school.

He really should be though, especially his short stories.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 06:03:30 AM »

Downey's a brilliant actor.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline ZeekSlider

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 04:37:40 AM »
But if you ever read Ray Bradbury, I think Dick is a logical progression from his sci-fi.

I'd say Bradbury is to the Twilight Zone as Dick is to the X-Files.
They taught Bradbury early on in my public school education, but as you pointed out, apparently that was playing it safe.  By the time I graduated and went on to college, the "rebels" were reading Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and the English teachers were pushing Harry Potter.  ::)

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 12:12:20 PM »

With an avatar like what he has, I'm not surprized. ;)

Fuck you both.