login

Author Topic: To Serve Re-Author  (Read 7888 times)

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
To Serve Re-Author
« on: May 28, 2008, 08:43:07 PM »
I'm doing my DVD re-author with the "unofficial DVD" that you can download.
I notice its in several separate VOB's. So I had to demux each one individually and then join them altogether with a MPEG editor.

However, when I was syncing the audio, I had to add .2 seconds at each of the "commercial breaks" to make it stay in sync.

Anyone else?

Offline Wiseblood

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
Re: To Serve Re-Author
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 08:51:43 PM »
I notice its in several separate VOB's. So I had to demux each one individually and then join them altogether with a MPEG editor.

However, when I was syncing the audio, I had to add .2 seconds at each of the "commercial breaks" to make it stay in sync.

Anyone else?

Yeah, I had a similar experience.  I joined the vob sets together with VobEdit and then demuxed the joined vob set then had to edit the riff to sync up.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 10:09:36 PM »
We'll see about adding an edited version of the mp3 for this... we'll let ya know tomorrow.

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 10:29:22 PM »
We'll see about adding an edited version of the mp3 for this... we'll let ya know tomorrow.

Cool, I'll hang back on downloading for now then.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 742
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 10:55:12 PM »
The "unofficial iso" that you have to torr-ent is the way to go. The other unofficial iso that is linked to in another thread (the one that is split and rar'd in 4 parts) is a smaller resolution. It gets window boxed when you play it.  I just have to mess with the separate vobs.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 01:48:41 AM »
Is there a simple link for 1 stop shopping like the last episode?

Edit-  Never mind, use the quicktime version from there home page. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:57:52 AM by Raven »

Offline David

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 48
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 12:01:21 PM »
I'm a stickler for 16x9, having one of them new fangled boob tubes. I used the multi-part DVD and demuxed them individually as well.

Was the quicktime 16x9?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 12:16:00 PM by David »

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 12:32:38 AM »
I individually demuxed the breaks, but after I got the audio remixed with the riff I had a problem remuxing each section with it's video part.  Have to use another program I guess.
On timeout

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 11:35:06 AM »
I individually demuxed the breaks, but after I got the audio remixed with the riff I had a problem remuxing each section with it's video part.  Have to use another program I guess.

after I demuxed each section, I used an MPEG editor to join them altogether to make 1 - full length mpg file. Then I demuxed that full length file and used that audio for my mixing.

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 32
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 03:40:16 PM »

after I demuxed each section, I used an MPEG editor to join them altogether to make 1 - full length mpg file. Then I demuxed that full length file and used that audio for my mixing.

I second gammer.  I ripped the ISO in File Mode, then imported the VOBs into Nero, and combined them into one movie, then turned THAT into an ISO, and used the streams from that.  Syncing and mixing was just a matter of adding about 20 milliseconds or so to the riff at each of the commercial breaks.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 04:54:22 PM »
Yep, I listened to you guys and redid mine.  Gonna mux it now.
On timeout

Offline Yalloglanchie

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Ortega: can you elaborate?
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 05:55:33 PM »
Can you please elaborate a bit? I've tried many, many times to re-author the "To Serve My Time" DVD (ISO file). Every time I've done it (by either merging the VOB files or merging the M2V files, and then reStreaming to take out the "end code sequences"), I end up with a DVD that has loads of dropped frames and little "hiccups" all the way through.

I looked at your example, and I tried it, but I couldn't get it to work...I was hoping you could give some more information on your successful re-author. Here's what you wrote, with what I did (unsuccessfully):

"I ripped the ISO in File Mode, "
* I did this by mounting the ISO to a CloneDrive and then I just copied all the files (VOBs IFOs and BUPs) to a new folder

"then imported the VOBs into Nero, and combined them into one movie, "
* I did this using Nero's "Make Your own DVD". Nero said it would merge the VOBs into a single video file

"then turned THAT into an ISO, "
* I did this using DVDShrink

"and used the streams from that"
*unfortunately, when I mounted this new ISO, it still has the video broken up into 5 separate videos (VTS_01, VTS_02, etc.). This doesn't seem to have worked at all.

If anybody has successfully re-authored the full DVD version of this video into a smooth (hiccup-free) Rifftrax DVD, I would love to hear how you did it!

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 06:47:16 PM »
Can you please elaborate a bit?

Certainly.

"I ripped the ISO in File Mode, "

What that means is i ripped the ISO with DVD Decrypter in "File Mode", which will rip all the titles, including the menus and what-not. 

"then imported the VOBs into Nero, and combined them into one movie, "

Sorry if i was being too vague.  The actual option you want is "Make Movie".  You'll see a different menu, and you want to import the VOBs into the assets menu, then add all of them into the timeline, with obviously NO transistions.  Then click Next.

You'll see a set of options, and you want to select "Make DVD with Edited Movie".  You will then see the "movie" you just created as a single title of about an hour long.  Check whatever options you want. ( you might want to use Create Chapters, and use gammers chapters if you want to.)  Configure the Audio and Video options to whatever specifications suits your fancy. then click next, and select a menu, (which i disable, that just means more encoding time, then of course, Burn to Folder.

"then turned THAT into an ISO, "
* I did this using DVDShrink

That might have been where things got wonky.  DVD Shrink will ALWAYS compress a DVD, which at this stage, we don't need to.  I suggest using IMGburn.  This dosent re-encode or compress the DVD, it just makes an ISO.  Use the Build option, and set the destination of the ISO, and it should crank one out in no time.

you should then Rip the new ISO in IFO mode, then proceed as normal, whoever it will be a little more effort in getting it to sync.  Once you have scrapped the intro, set the proper amount of silence to get the first sync line to match.  The first three should be fine, but it might be at the second Chapter, right at the "commercial break", you want to clcik on a silent section of the riif near there, and add about 20 milliseconds of silence to sync up the fourth sync line.  You will have to do this at every commercial break, and these times arent approximate, so you'll have to fine tune it, but it should get you in the right ball park.

I honestly hope this helps, but if not, you can curse my name till the end of time.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 742
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 04:54:32 PM »

Anyone else?

Where did you add the silence?? At the start of the fade to black? Towards the end? Somewhere in the middle?

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 05:59:51 PM »

Anyone else?

Where did you add the silence?? At the start of the fade to black? Towards the end? Somewhere in the middle?

00:00:00:00  1. hmmm...'Peacock' and rainbow colors...nothing gay here
00:04:29:00  2. Lets just hide in this iceberg
00:17:12:00  3. I'm not wearing a wig
00:24:05:00  4. Someone took a bite out of the hull!
00:38:28:00  5. My milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard...
00:57:45:00  6. Deja-vu?

right at the chapter times. Its what worked for me.