login

Author Topic: COLDPLAY HAS A NEW ALBUM OUT!  (Read 6038 times)

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
Re: COLDPLAY HAS A NEW ALBUM OUT!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 09:26:55 AM »
So which one of the other albums does this new one sound like?  ;)

Offline swisscheeseandbullets

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 08:13:34 AM »
i liked violet hill but was underwhelmed by viva la vida (the title song whatever it is)

Violet Hill does nothing for me, but I quite like Viva la vida. 

anais.jude

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 11:36:39 AM »
i liked violet hill but was underwhelmed by viva la vida (the title song whatever it is)

Violet Hill does nothing for me, but I quite like Viva la vida. 

Clearly, Sir, you are the ying to my yang  :P

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 06:43:01 AM »

Clearly, Sir, you are the ying to my yang  :P

But yet, we both love Oasis.  Hmmm.  (not a big fan of their leaked demos.  After years of waiting for stop the clocks, I hope it's not on the new album)

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2008, 07:39:24 PM »
Don't Panic

Oh, and I think my wedding song will be:  "You're My Best Friend" by Queen

...and we'll have to slam dance to it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 07:48:10 PM by bettertomorrowamy »
On timeout

anais.jude

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 09:24:07 PM »
Don't Panic

Oh, and I think my wedding song will be:  "You're My Best Friend" by Queen

...and we'll have to slam dance to it.

But you're not getting married, cause then you would have to pay me $100. (we have a bet you see)

anais.jude

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 08:10:30 PM »
Ok. So I have "purchased" the new album and it. is. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love "lost" and the two singles. I think this album is unique in a lot of way, but also has a lot of similarities to the best of Parachutes and X and Y.

I give this album a Huh (5/5) ( I totally copied it from Jacob T)

Seriously, I think its awesome!

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 01:04:36 AM »
I think it's okay.  AROBTTH is their best IMO.  I was happy when the band was writing songs like 'the scientist' and 'trouble'. 

anais.jude

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 05:11:26 AM »
I agree. AROBTTH is a freaking masterpeice. (Although "The Scientist" is my least fave song on the album

I do wish Christ would write non "love" songs. The beat and music for "Violet Hill" would work very well with something philosophical or even pollitical....and yet "If you love me, won't you let me know" WTF. I thought you were happily married to big head blonde girl (Gweneth Paltrow)

anais.jude

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 12:57:16 PM »
I just realized I wrote Christ instead of Chris....that was def a freudian slip....he is Godlike in my eyes

anyway, my  review of each song on the new album
1) Life in Technicolor: Okay, So Brian Eno is the producer, and this song is very much Brian Eno-esque. A mixture of a lot of different noises. As far as an opener, it seems like a way of saying "this is Coldplay on Brian Eno". One of the rare moments where I am ok with Brian Eno, but for the record, I would prefer the album be a bit more simple like the first two.  (also, getting brian eno to produce is like saying "Yea, we sound like U2 and we don't care" but why would they want to sound like U2?)
2) Cemeteries of London: There is no silence between the end of Life in Technicolor and the begining of this song. The songs starts out mellow as Chris sings the first verse. Then it goes a little faster, with an acoustic guitar on top of Chris's vocals, the piano, and the Brian Eno layer. The music drowns out Chris's voice, which I am not a fan of, but as the song gets going there is a nice blend of music and voice. The lyrics are mysterious, but hard to hear (I blame Brian Eno)
3) Lost: This song starts out with organs and hand clapping that once again overpower the sound, but the beat is good. THe chorus is really excellent IMHO. Like most of Chris's other songs like Fix You and Yellow, he sounds like he could talk anyone out of a bad mood....well he can def talk me out of a bad mood. Like the other songs on the album, Chris's vocals blend very well with the music. This song has more guitar in it, which I like.
4) 42: Def my least fave song. Uninspired lyrics accompanied by a good piano tune...but then the last half of the song is in a completely different style with more crappy lyrics. I might grow to love this one later, but as of this moment, yuck
5) Lovers in Japan: This song feels a lot like the songs from XY, so of course I love it. I don't mind if all the songs sound the same if they all are good. 6) Reign of Love: Another song that could have been on XY. It isn't making much of an impression on me right now, so let's move on.
7) Yes: I LOVE this song. Chris does something different with his vocals that belnds super well with the music. I really like the effect the orchestra has on this song. In most of the other songs I think the orchestra is convuluting the songs, but this one works. The lyrics are also really cool, from what I can gather (lyrics are the last thing i notice)
8) Chinese Sleep Chant: The song starts out promising, but then goes into what I beleive is known as "shoegazer" sound (Lush, My Bloody Valentine, Blur's 1st album, The Verve's first album).
9) Viva la Vida: Well this is the titular song and a psuedo single thanks to the apple iTunes commericals. I love it. Again, excellent use of the orchestra, and the lyrics remind me a lot of sympahty for the devil because Chris is clearly not singing about himself.
10) Violet Hill: Def the best song on the album. It has a harder sound that reminds me of winter. Excellent rainy day music. As I previously stated, the worst thing about the song is the lyrics are pretty much love lyrics, but at least the versus are good.
I am growing bored with this. The other two songs ont eh album are ok, but not as good as the middle.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand scene

Offline Courtney

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 5
  • How Twilight could have been better.
    • Hobo Trashcan - Outside of the In-Crowd
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2008, 03:27:35 PM »
Um because I'm made of FAIL and my last two weeks have been too filled with apartment hunting and other ridiculousness to give this a solid listen, I'm just now getting around to it.  Can I just say how crazy I am about Violet Hill?  GREAT song.  Cemetaries of London is a good one.  I LOVE Yes, and Strawberry Swing makes me wish I was still in school because it's a good study song.

anais.jude

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2008, 03:34:48 PM »
I don't like Strawberry Hill. I think it has too much...Eno influence to put it nicely.

But thanks for commenting Courtney. Off topic, when did you discover that Jack Davenport used sexyness?

Offline Courtney

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2008, 05:12:58 PM »
Coupling.  Then I torrented totally legally viewed Ultraviolet and he was all kinds of dripping with ohsosessiness.  Rrroowwrr.

anais.jude

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2008, 05:21:41 PM »
Oh? What season of coupling is he on. I will have to also watch it legally.

For me, it was POTC 1.

Offline Courtney

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2008, 05:23:08 PM »
ZOMG, ALL OF THEM, HE'S THE STAR. 

SERIOUSLY.  WATCH AND LOVE.  THE POWER OF CAPS LOCK COMPELS YOU.