Author Topic: DVD-Audio... recommendations?  (Read 3548 times)

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
DVD-Audio... recommendations?
« on: May 09, 2008, 12:25:06 PM »
I want to take advantage of my 5.1 surround sound system. I was wondering if anyone here has bought many surround sound albums and might have some recommendations. Right now I have the Flaming Lips' album Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Beck's Guero and Amon Tobin's Chaos Theory surround sound albums and they sound awesome on my system. Anyone that has a surround sound system and hasn't tried this out I'd recommend it.

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
Re: DVD-Audio... recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 12:38:17 PM »
I looked around on amazon and they've got crap for selection and then I found this. Thank you cduniverse, so much to choose from.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 12:44:07 PM »
Interesting

On timeout

Offline Wheaty Petestraw

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 03:36:07 PM »
Frank Zappa - Halloween

Absolutely jaw-dropping rendition of "Muffin Man" amongst others.
my entry made my girlfriend laugh a few times, the best I can hope for really.

I'd say Whalberg definately qualifies as really good.

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 09:11:22 PM »
if you like genesis all the phil collins cds  are in that format now.  im waiting for the gabriel box thats coming in september that will rock my soundsystem.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 10:40:43 PM »
Sony's "DualDisc" titles frequently feature a 5.1 mix on the DVD side, including my two favorite albums of 2004: Jamie Cullum's Twentysomething and Nellie McKay's Get Away From Me.

I haven't heard either of those mixes, but one I HAVE heard is the DVD of Stop Making Sense, which features TWO different 5.1 mixes of the concert.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 12:04:33 AM »
I haven't heard either of those mixes, but one I HAVE heard is the DVD of Stop Making Sense, which features TWO different 5.1 mixes of the concert.
I'm all over that one, that concert is great.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 12:09:35 AM »
The 5.1 mix on Pink Floyd The Wall is pretty good, too. Also, one of the bonus features is a deleted version of "Hey You" that didn't make the movie, remastered in 5.1.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 33
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 12:11:02 AM »
i think the only 5.1 album i have is Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 01:28:01 PM »
So I went out and used up my $100 gift card I had for a local record store and after buying my dad a copy of Beck's "Midnite Vultures" and Built to Spill's "Perfect From Now On" for his birthday I spent the rest on a few DVD-Audio albums for myself.
I got myself The Flaming Lips "At War With the Mystics" special edition cd which came with a dvd with a 5.1 mix. I didn't really care for the album when i first heard it but giving it another listen it sounds awesome. They seem to spend a ton of time remixing it for surround sound and it makes listening to the album that much better. I should also mention that the visualization they have for the songs when the music is playing is they videotaped a nude woman dancing to the music and it seems like they just videotaped her in one take going through the whole album, they then added a ton of visual effects on her to give it that "artsy look" and it didn't really bother me at all. I guess I'd turn off the TV if I had my dad come over and give the album a listen. I also got a copy of The Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" Which came with a stereo mix and a 5.1 mix and is a pretty entertaining listen a classic album. I also bought The Talking Heads "Stop making Sense" dvd which I'd own even if I didn't have a surround sound system. I'm happy with my choices so far and I'll probably give them another listen this next weekend. They also had Special Edition of The Flaming Lips' album "The Soft Bulletin" which I'm sure I'll end up getting in a couple of weeks. They also had a ton of surround sound albums of Depeche Mode's stuff. More bands need to release stuff like this.

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • Jacob's blog on, life, the universe...everything!
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 01:31:27 PM »
Get Pink Floyd's "Pulse" DvD concert, its incredible in surround. Also, any Josh Groban concert.

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 01:44:07 PM »
Word, thanks for the recommendation. I think I might look around Netflix and see if they have anything to offer as well.

Offline requieminadream

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
  • FUCKING DOUGHNUT! MOCK ME? YOU FRIED CYCLOPS!
    • DVD Talk
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 03:46:14 PM »
Definitely Pink Floyd's The Wall, and if you're into heavier rock and industrial, check out Nine Inch Nails' "The Downward Spiral" dual disc and "With Teeth" dual disc.
And death shall have no dominion...

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 01:48:38 PM »
There's a lot of DualDisc CDs out there. AC/DC's Back in Black is on DualDisc. The only DualDisc CDs I have is Bruce Springsteen's album Devils & Dust. I'm planning on getting a few more, such as "Weird Al" Yankovic's Straight Outta Lynwood, Dave Matthews Band's Stand Up, Bruce Springsteen's We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions and AC/DC's legendary Back in Black.

P.S. The Dualdisc cases are cool if you ask me  :)

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 09:45:23 PM »
dualdiscs are cool except that damn double sided issue i end up scratching em up no matter what.  i have system of a down and franz ferdinand though its cool.

the peter gabriel era box set is absolutely the best thing ever if you are into it.  the bonus video features on the dvds rocks my socks too.  and of course the 5.1.   plus lamb lies down in 5.1 is accompannied by the slides they showed at live performances and some hi8 live footage synched up with the record.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE